PDA

View Full Version : New Powerbook 4x superdrive only 2x?

darkwing
May 11, 2004, 10:28 PM
Hey all. My 17" 1.5ghz powerbook with the supposedly 4x superdrive is only giving me 1x and 2x as a choice for burning with some Optodisc 4x media I just picked up. What can I do to get it to burn at 4x?

Steve

OziMac
Sep 1, 2004, 01:20 AM
Yes, I'd also like some help with this - my 15" 1.5Ghz Powerbook is only burning Shintaro 4x media at 2x. Anyone know why and how to fix this? Thanks.

manosira
Sep 1, 2004, 02:05 AM
What programs are you guys using to burn your dvds? I use Toast, and idvd, and am able to burn at 4x speed on my new PB 15". Maybe its the type of discs? I have used prostar and apple 4x dvds and both work fine.

FuzzyBallz
Sep 1, 2004, 02:11 AM
There's nothing wrong w/ the drive. When you're using bargain media, don't expect the best performance. Optodisc is like the lowest of low quality media. Don't quote me on this though, 'cause some people will tell you they can get 1x no media code DVDRs to burn at 8x. Try some Ridata/Ritek media.

OziMac
Sep 1, 2004, 03:02 AM
I don't think the 'bargain media' tag is an excuse. If it's rated for 4x and it's not burning at 4x in the Superdrive (when the same media burns at 4x fine in other similar Superdrives like the Pioneer 106s and 107s in the Powermacs and eMac) then there is a problem somewhere. And it so happens that the same thing occurs with Apple 4x media as well.

By the way I am also using Toast.

OziMac
Sep 1, 2004, 09:54 PM
before this disappears forever off the front page (which would be sad because it seems like others have similar problems but are posting new threads about it) does anyone have any useful advice or a decent explanation for this? Thanks...

EJBasile
Sep 1, 2004, 10:11 PM
before this disappears forever off the front page (which would be sad because it seems like others have similar problems but are posting new threads about it) does anyone have any useful advice or a decent explanation for this? Thanks...

SuperDrive Problem?

Apples Ripping you off? (haha play on words (you rip DVDs) )

Apple accidently put the wrong superdrive in?

Settings somewhere in your computer?

ChrisFromCanada
Sep 1, 2004, 10:14 PM
I am using a Pioneer 104 with the firmware update that supposedly allows you to burn a 2X but with apple and memorex 4X media I can only burn at 1X. Hmm there has to be something else involved with this.

OziMac
Sep 2, 2004, 04:06 AM
SuperDrive Problem?

Apples Ripping you off? (haha play on words (you rip DVDs) )

Apple accidently put the wrong superdrive in?

Settings somewhere in your computer?

Actually, the point of having a superdrive would be to burn your own DVDs, not to rip ones that already exist...

I don't think the drive is wrong - its the correct model (Mat****a UJ-825), and the settings sure as hell aren't wrong given that it's been doing this out of the box.

..anyone else got any ideas?

[EDIT] Why am I being censored??? That's the name of the company! God I hate brainless censorship codes...

jdechko
Sep 2, 2004, 12:43 PM
I am using a Pioneer 104 with the firmware update that supposedly allows you to burn a 2X but with apple and memorex 4X media I can only burn at 1X. Hmm there has to be something else involved with this.

I remember reading a post on the Apple Support Site about that. I cant find the article/post, but it says something about using 4x media in a 2x superdrive yeilds 1x burns. So if you use 2x media in the 2x drive it should burn at 2x.

Sorry i cant help more, but i hope this answer suffices.

OziMac
Sep 2, 2004, 08:21 PM
Yes, it probably does for the 104, but not for the Powerbook superdrives... anyone know anything about them specifically???