Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Hello all - wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem to mine.

First off, the specs on the machine:

DP G4 450MHz, 1.25GB, 30GB IDE Startup Disk, 3x36GB Internal SCSI and Plextor 40/12/40S External SCSI CD-RW.

Second, the problem:

I think it may have been after the last Security Update (2004-05-03) that this started happening. When I boot with the external CD-RW on, it won't mount the three internal SCSI drives. If I boot with the external CD-RW off, then the three internal SCSI drives mount just fine. I get a message when booting from Command-S that says "Adaptec Warning: Resetting SCSI Bus" a whole bunch of times when the CD-RW is on. I haven't looked when it's off, but it does boot much faster when it is off, leading me to believe there is no problem.

A machine at work (867MHz G4/768MB/29160N Card/36GB SCSI/2xPlextor 8/20 CD-R External) did the same thing after upgrading to Panther today. I breezed through the updates and didn't think to leave the Security Update out before I checked it. Both machines boot OS 9 and there are no problems accessing all SCSI devices at once.

Any thoughts on this one? Everything is properly cabled/terminated/SCSI I.D.'d and everything. This is the first problem with either of these setups.

Thanks...

cpjakes

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Basically since the B&W G3 debuted, there have been problems with SCSI and various SW and firmware updates causing problems.

If there is a workaround to the problems, be glad, since some of the problems were serious enough in the past that it would render old SCSI cards instantly EOL'd.

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I understand the troubles with SCSI, I've been facing them for a long time with various machines and SCSI cards. But the card is still current and selling new from Adaptec and has been fine up until very recently. It's not like this is legacy equipment, it's all still current and available new. And the fact that it works on one machine and not another is not helping me understand this situation.

cpjakes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.