PDA

View Full Version : Quick discussion on Physical Memory?

About2SwitchOvr
May 12, 2004, 09:42 AM
I have the 20" iMac with OSX, 768 (256 + 512 (added at the Apple Store))
I downloaded a widget that displays my remaning Physical Memory...
http://www.widgetgallery.com/view.php?widget=35798
Right after I turn on the computer, and the iCal loads up, it's down to about 500.
After I run EyeTV and hop on a couple pages on Safari.. it drops into the red at around 50mb free!!!
Also, with ALL applications closed.. and I try to export an MPG to a .Mov, the computer locks up after about 75% (exporting about 600mbs)

Is this something common? I guess I would just HATE the idea that I am doing something wrong.. and that my Mac is not living up to it's full potential...
ANY advice, suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated... This forum has helped me out so much in the past...

Thanks in advance!

Danrose1977
May 12, 2004, 09:51 AM
It would be interesting to see what the memory is like with no iCal running.... what happens if you just boot up and leave everything closed? does memory still get taken up?

could be an error in the widget of course... but doesn't look likely as there is a fair bit of positive feedback for this one.

PS: running top in the terminal will tell you what is taking up the memory... just occured to me.

About2SwitchOvr
May 12, 2004, 10:23 AM
It would be interesting to see what the memory is like with no iCal running.... what happens if you just boot up and leave everything closed? does memory still get taken up?

could be an error in the widget of course... but doesn't look likely as there is a fair bit of positive feedback for this one.

PS: running top in the terminal will tell you what is taking up the memory... just occured to me.

I'm going to try this... once I get home. (this forum keeps me sane throughout the work day!!) :-)
I'm so relieved that this got some attention already :-)

GRACIAS!