PDA

View Full Version : 1.5Ghz at MW?

arn
Jul 2, 2002, 09:35 AM
Per a Spymac link (http://www.spymac.com), The Inquirer (http://www.theinquirer.net/29060201.htm) reports that speeds may reach 1.5Ghz at MWNY:

Well, it looks like MWNY might finally bring such a processor to the--albeit small--masses of Mac users: rumour has it that Motorola has actually started to get better yields of the next 74xx chip, and that in terms of clock speed it scales beyond expectations. Apparently enough to allow the introduction of a 1.5 GHz part, a nice 50% clock-speed increase--although it is unclear whether we might see it in a dual- or single-processor configuration.

Consistent with previous rumors, they go on to state that the new processors will support an improved FSB (Front Side Bus) to take advantage of DDR memory.

DavPeanut
Jul 2, 2002, 09:45 AM
Thats too fast. I dont think that moto could make one that fast already.

esome
Jul 2, 2002, 09:49 AM
is good or bad? Anyone familiar enough with this site to say how credible they are? Just curious.

Outsider
Jul 2, 2002, 10:04 AM
To achieve these speeds the G4 would need to get on a new process. A smaller 130nm processor MIGHT give them the MHz advantage. But for some other under the hood changes you would need to redesign some critical points such as the MPX bus (scale it to 200MHz or add DDR bus support) some added pipeline stages, maybe a built in memory controller. However this rumor sounds unlikely. I think we are more likely to see an Xserve based machine with a 74XX processor maybe on 130nm scaling to 1.4GHz.

Curiousstrngmint
Jul 2, 2002, 10:16 AM
Does anybody think this will affect the Titanium?

Also, there was a thread a while back about a 1ghz Titanium in the fall. Does anybody know whether that's September fall or November fall? It'll make a difference. Thanks.

3rdpath
Jul 2, 2002, 10:17 AM
50% increase...thats hard to believe...

but it could happen and i hope it does.:)

billiam0878
Jul 2, 2002, 10:22 AM
It probably won't happen but that would be SO sweet :)

Bill

JamSoft
Jul 2, 2002, 10:34 AM
Again, this is all just speculation and rumors. We could all pleasantly be surprised with the release of a 1.5 Ghz, but then what would the rest of the line look like? It would be weird to go from 1, 1.2, 1.4, and then 1.5 Ghz. If the rumors were about 1.6 Ghz then they would make more sense to me, but these donít. The only way I could see if happening would be if the 1.5 Ghz wasnít a dual processor... which would suck in my opinion :(

Lets just hope Apple can pull something out of the hat, because good ol Steve could just give us a speed bump of 1.2 Ghz and wait for MWSF 03. :mad:

only time will tell....

michaelyoung
Jul 2, 2002, 10:49 AM
when is the last time spymac was right about _anything_? spymac is like the Weekly World News of the mac rumor wolrd.. they stop just short of telling us that Aliens will deliver the 1.5ghz processors at MWNY..

iWalk anyone?

drastik
Jul 2, 2002, 11:04 AM
iWalk was a good while back, they've gotten better since then, but they still are not to be trusted.

That said, I don't find it too unlikely. We need the Speed boost, we need new chips, we need DDR. I want them, let hope Steve "said Yes," again.:D

G4scott
Jul 2, 2002, 11:10 AM
How can anyone tell what processor speeds will debut? Unless you know specifically what Motorola is doing, then how can you say that a 1.5Ghz chip is impossible while a 1.4Ghz chip is for sure going to come?

rice_web
Jul 2, 2002, 11:16 AM
Like I've said for the past month: 1.5GHz is nothing if the architecture of the G4 changes.

Here is what has been rumored of the new G4:
- 12 pipeline stages (up from 7)
- .13 micron manufacturing (down from .18)

Those two things could let the new G4 scale to 2GHz... easily. That's like the jump from P3 to P4. The P3 could scale to about 1.4GHz, the P4 will scale to at least 3GHz.

TechLarry
Jul 2, 2002, 11:22 AM
Is it _possible_ that Motorola is getting off their butt's because of...

US ?

The discussion between even hard-core Microsoft-Hating Mac Users has been decidely anti-Motorola recently (for good reason). I wonder if they have taken notice of this ?

Oh, well. It never hurts to dream a little, and at least every once and a while believe, however misguided that belief is, that users might be heard every now and then :)

TL

jelloshotsrule
Jul 2, 2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Curiousstrngmint

Also, there was a thread a while back about a 1ghz Titanium in the fall. Does anybody know whether that's September fall or November fall? It'll make a difference. Thanks.

i doubt we'll see a new tibook at mwny... but it coudl happen soon after. the only problem i see is that say they announce the new powermacs at mwny, which they will, they probably won't ship til august and maybe even september..... which in my mind would push back the tibooks a bit.... maybe october or november.... who knows

Macmaniac
Jul 2, 2002, 11:25 AM
Holy S*%^!!! If they did release a 1.5ghz G4 then there would be a huge surge in orders for Apple! Do you have any idea how freakin fast that is? A machine at that speed would finish a SETI unit in 1 hour without breaking a sweat! OF course it is Spymac and the next time the get something right Hell will freeze over, but that would be so freakin cool!
In perspective 1.4 would be nice;) (Steve ;) ;) nudge nudge)

mcrain
Jul 2, 2002, 11:28 AM
Question I have is that if a 1 gig G4 can hang with a 1.8Ghz P3 or P4 (or maybe even faster) at most applications, and even faster P4's at some applications, how fast must a 1.5Gig G4 be? That's got to be blazingly fast. Anyone venture a guess on how that would compare to the Intel/Amd offerings?

Catfish
Jul 2, 2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by mcrain
Question I have is that if a 1 gig G4 can hang with a 1.8Ghz P3 or P4 (or maybe even faster) at most applications, and even faster P4's at some applications, how fast must a 1.5Gig G4 be? That's got to be blazingly fast. Anyone venture a guess on how that would compare to the Intel/Amd offerings?

I know that it'll really smoke if it has DDR Ram, which seems likely.

Also, I agree Spymac isn't all that reliable, but if you read the post fully it is a link to Spymac which is linked to The Inquirer - a very reputable IT journal. Well, often enough anyway. ;)

BRING BACK THE CUBE. (There, I've said it)

nicely
Jul 2, 2002, 11:38 AM
If what Rice_Web says turns out to be true...the 1.5 GHz won't be as fast as if the current line of processors scaled that high. Don't get me wrong, I'll buy one and love it. It'll be faster than the current line up, plus DDR.

If they add stages to the pipeline to gain scalability in terms of megahertz, that's fine by me. We still have the advantages of alti-vec and may gain some market share because people still look at processors in megahertz. Sad, but true.

nero007
Jul 2, 2002, 11:41 AM
Spymac hasn't been all that bad since the whole iWalk bs. About as reliable as any rumor page can be.

rice_web
Jul 2, 2002, 11:44 AM
Well, the next batch of G4s is also rumored to sports 4MB L3 Cache and 512K L2 Cache, which would virtually cancel the effect of the longer pipeline.

So, if we see cache improvements along with DDR, the new G4 may just run at the same speed as the old G4, megahertz for megahertz. So, 1.5GHz would be #%^&@ fast.

TyleRomeo
Jul 2, 2002, 11:54 AM
hmmmmmm so apple will release a 74XX chip this summer. That's bad news for you G5 fanatics. IF apple does come out with either the 7560 or 7470 this summer then the 7500 is coming in January. So you can wait another whole year before the G5 is unvailed.

Personally I'm tired of this G5 talk. The G4 is a great chip for video editing and i don't care if its going to be 1.5 or 1.4 or whatever. 1.5 seems to high, especially for a 7470. 1.4 makes the most sense, 1.2 would just be a disapointment. We just can't have 200 MHZ jumps every six months. Especially after we already dropped the price of the Dual 1GHZ months ago.

Do you remmember when we would jump up 33MHZ every six months? You knew that eventually we would have scale much higher then just 33MHZ or now 200 MHZ, so bring on a 400 MHZ jump, I'm ready for it and i'm sure many of you are also.

rice_web
Jul 2, 2002, 12:02 PM
I'm hoping for 1.33GHz this MacWorld expo. That seems to be a nice middle ground of the wishes and rumors.

crassusad44
Jul 2, 2002, 12:03 PM
Come on people, it's going to be 1033 MHz! Don't get your hopes up!!!

On the other side. SpyMac did nail the eMac pretty good... Damn I'm going into HHD again (hoping, hoping, droool) :p

Marianco
Jul 2, 2002, 12:07 PM
If Apple releases at least a Dual 1.5 GHz G4 with DDR RAM and a much higher bus bandwidth, let me be first in line!!!!!! I'm definitely ordering a new Macintosh.

Other wishes for Powermac:
1. Quad processors!!!!!!!!
2. Bus Bandwidth, Bandwidth, and more Bandwidth.
3. 4U Rackmount case with shorter depth to fit in
portable SKG rack mount cases.
4. Built-in RAID
5. Front-mounted USB and Firewire Ports
6. Firewire 2
7. Space for TWO 5.25 inch drives.

Rocketman
Jul 2, 2002, 12:15 PM

As a Ti user heating is a big issue. When the 74xx chipset offered higher speeds at lower temps through use of lower power and lower micron process, it became practical.

I suspect it will take another technical leap to justify faster speeds in Ti. Someting which might be forthcoming, but just not quickly.

Ti offers amazing capabilities in a portable package, speed being lower on the list after connectivity, OS compatibility (it runs EVERYTHING) and of course a no compromise screen and display output options. And this describes the OLDEST Ti's!

Rockletman

http://v-serv.com/-upload/avatar.jpg

pgwalsh
Jul 2, 2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by rice_web

Here is what has been rumored of the new G4:
- 12 pipeline stages (up from 7)
- .13 micron manufacturing (down from .18)

If this is true, I've heard the Apple may call this a G5. Rumors have it that there will be case modification too. I've also heard the rumor that the G5 may never see the day of light because there incorporating it's features into the G4.

I've also heard that the 7460 is going to be used in these Mac's, but not incorporate the large level 3 cache. The 7470 will be used for the XServer and it'll be the only model that supports the larger level 3 BSC.

I've put my money on the 1.5 Ghz machines. I don't see a problem with a 50% jump in speed. We've seen it before.

boobers
Jul 2, 2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by michaelyoung
when is the last time spymac was right about _anything_? spymac is like the Weekly World News of the mac rumor wolrd.. they stop just short of telling us that Aliens will deliver the 1.5ghz processors at MWNY..

iWalk anyone?

you nerd, the link is from the inquirer not spymac..geez
boobers

Inhale420
Jul 2, 2002, 12:33 PM
that sounds so awesome, that i won't believe it 'till i see it.

knowledge
Jul 2, 2002, 01:16 PM
I cant get too hyped over 1.5 Ghz, as my favorite application is still crippled in Mac OS X by crappy performance. Adobe Illustrator is such a dog, each thing I do takes 2 seconds for it to respond. I don't know if this is Apple or Adobe's fault (I think I'll point my finger at both of them), but unless these interface problems get optimized away, it's going to take an order of magnitude in processor speed increase to make Illustrator useable again.

I know it's only slightly related, but has anyone else experienced similar suckiness with Illustrator?

knowledge

barkmonster
Jul 2, 2002, 01:18 PM
a 50% increase might not be out of the question.

we were stuck at 500Mhz Max for 18 months

Then we get the 7450 series G4 at 733Mhz (46.6%)

Still using the 7450 we then got 867Mhz (18.3%)

now we've got the 7455 series at 1Ghz (15.3%)

if they're increasing the pipeline stages again, I think a 50% increase isn't out of the question. Someone managed to overclock a 1Ghz G4 to 1.2Ghz with the current cpu so we know that's an absolute minimum to be hoping for.

To be honest with you, whatever CPU the new G4s come out with, I would expect the entry level to be 1Ghz. Either of these configurations could be the mid and high end systems.

mid range : fastest PPC G4
high end : 2 x 2nd fastest PPC G4

or like now :

mid range : 2nd fastest PPC G4
high end : 2 x fastest PPC G4

Also, this is the first time I get to watch the keynote on a cable modem so I'm looking forward to it for that as much as what CPUs we can expect to see.

If we do lose the L3 cache, the entry level will have to be significantly slower than the other 2 models to compensate, I've noticed apple always use the fastest CPU from the previous line up in the low end - L3 cache. This makes the current low end far slower than the mid range by more than simple MHz differences. Take away the L3 (if those 7460 rumours are true) and they'll need to have a Mhz difference of at least 200MHz to justify the cost or people will just buy entry level models with a BTO superdrive and save a fortune at the expense of some tiny 10% speed hit.

10% extra speed between one model and another is irrelevant, 20% or more is noticable and worth paying more for.

pgwalsh
Jul 2, 2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by knowledge
Adobe Illustrator is such a dog, each thing I do takes 2 seconds for it to respond.

Have you contacted Adobe about this? Did you download the dot patch release. I noticed a performance boost when I did. However, I'm still using 9.2.2.

I find Adobe GoLive to be rather slow, but I'm on a G3 400. When I buy a new Mac this summer, I hope to see a difference in speed. ;)

boobers
Jul 2, 2002, 01:30 PM
I cant get too hyped over 1.5 Ghz, as my favorite application is still crippled in Mac OS X by crappy performance. Adobe Illustrator is such a dog, each thing I do takes 2 seconds for it to respond. I don't know if this is Apple or Adobe's fault (I think I'll point my finger at both of them), but unless these interface problems get optimized away, it's going to take an order of magnitude in processor speed increase to make Illustrator useable again.

I know it's only slightly related, but has anyone else experienced similar suckiness with Illustrator?

knowledge
oh yes Ill does suck tremendously in X, however Freehand sucks less..but it still sux too. The most responsive vector prog in X so far for me has been Flash..now the flash plug in is a complete joke in X as well. Very sad really.
Hopefully some of the Quartz Extreeeeme will help some of this.

swahilibill
Jul 2, 2002, 01:32 PM
I bet we see the updated powermacs, and I dont hope to see updated iMacs since I just bought mine a month ago. I also hope Apple puts DDR in their powermacs along with maybe the Radeon 8500 or 8600? one of those is right i know it, lol a knew case would be cool, maybe all titanium, like some of these mockups I have seen.

iPod 5 GB

Curiousstrngmint
Jul 2, 2002, 03:05 PM
Speaking of speed...

How fast is virtual PC these days? There's always one damn app...

rice_web
Jul 2, 2002, 03:26 PM
Ah, yes. VirtualPC could definitely use 1.5GHz (it'd run better with 2GHz, but that's a long ways off)

dernhelm
Jul 2, 2002, 03:31 PM

How could it possibly make a difference? This is all rumor and speculation. If you are honestly making important decisions based on a rumor that was placed either here or someplace else, you're insane.

dernhelm
Jul 2, 2002, 03:38 PM
Ah, yes. VirtualPC could definitely use 1.5GHz (it'd run better with 2GHz, but that's a long ways off)

Agreed. But VPC will definitely benefit from the DDR and faster disk as well. What I'd like to know is how much Quartz Extreme would impact it. I remember reading a thread on the VPC forums hosted at Connectix that made a point of saying the video handling capabilities of VPC were still pretty primitive (couldn't talk directly to the hardware, etc.). It'd be interesting to see if Q.E. gives them some of the speedup that they couldn't do themselves...

beatle888
Jul 2, 2002, 04:02 PM
I think MWNY is gonna be huge.

1. Already asked the movie industry WHAT CAN WE DO FOR YOU? Translates
into where ready to make you a kickass system.
2. Jaguar, QX.
3. New servers would/could transfer to some type of home entertainment unit.
4.New DDR and those types of upgrades.
5.Tibook is at 800mhz, so you know where gonna get a hefty top of line dp processor jump.

SPG
Jul 2, 2002, 04:09 PM
A dual 1.5gig tower, jaguar, Quartz Extreme, DDR? Finally a real step up for the power users. A firewire and USB port on the front would be nice too!
Yes I'll take three please, and one more for home too.

rice_web
Jul 2, 2002, 04:17 PM
Here's a recap of all the goodies that we might see in the next couple of months:
- speeds up to 1.5GHz
- faster system bus (which can improve performance around 25%)
- DDR memory (increases performance about 10% in itself)
- larger cache (a huge boost for audio apps, improves "snappiness")
- .13 micron manufacturing (decreases heat with a smaller core, and thus increases speed slightly)
- Quartz Extreme (yikes, that could give the system "feel" a nice jump)

Now, the unfortunate part:
- more pipeline stages (nearly double; that would yield results similar to P3 to P4)
- How much wil this cost?

Overall though, I'd expect performance hikes of about 50% over the next few months (especially when Jaguar hits the scene)

G4scott
Jul 2, 2002, 04:43 PM
I'd say that a Dual 1.4/1.5 Ghz G4 can easily take on a 2.5Ghz P4.

With 4mb L3 cache, a faster IO, and other bus improvements, it could possibly go faster.

It would have a theoretical performance of about 24-25 Gigaflops (the megahertz myth!)

I don't think that Apple will make these rack-mountable, but I do hope that they will have 2 5.25" drive bays. The case will either resemble the quicksilver's dark grey shiny plastics look, or it will take on the more industrial look of the xServe or TiBook...

pimentoLoaf
Jul 2, 2002, 05:50 PM
Any possibility of putting this gonzo technology in a snowball-iMac case with a 19" screen?

:eek:

rice_web
Jul 2, 2002, 06:01 PM
Any possibility of putting this gonzo technology in a snowball-iMac case with a 19" screen?

I wish it was. And, it should be. Apple should offer the same specs in its consumer line as its pro line, for consumers should have more choice.

Now, before everyone goes ranting about margins and keeping the lines seperate, and so on...

Apple could do this. They might charge $4,000 for an iMac with a 19" LCD and dual-1.33GHz CPUs, but they should at least offer it as a BTO option.

DavPeanut
Jul 2, 2002, 06:05 PM
Apple could do this. They might charge $4,000 for an iMac with a 19" LCD and dual-1.33GHz CPUs, but they should at least offer it as a BTO option.
They couldn't fit two proccessors on that motherboard, I don't think.

Matt_d
Jul 2, 2002, 06:37 PM
I wish apple would at least get DDR, as is't been said before been around for a good long time...

rice_web
Jul 2, 2002, 06:39 PM
They couldn't fit two proccessors on that motherboard, I don't think.

Yeah, I second that (even though I made the original comment). Although, heat and size issues aside.... it should be an option.

barkmonster
Jul 2, 2002, 06:47 PM
Now, the unfortunate part:
- more pipeline stages (nearly double; that would yield results similar to P3 to P4)
- How much wil this cost?

I totally agree.

I did a little research...

I took an average of the results gained in the Photoshop, iTunes, Cinebench and filemaker test in this (http://www.barefeats.com/pm01.html) barefeats test of a 533Mhz G4 vs 733Mhz G4 with L3 and some more recent models. Although the 733Mhz G4 has a 37.5% higher clock speed, the average speed gain was only 20.5% over the 533Mhz G4, effectively making it a little over 640Mhz in reality.

With this in mind, I worked out the effective speeds of a few possible clock speeds we might see with the performance penality of the previous 3 stage increase used to downgrade the Mhz to what the current 7455 G4s would need to be to match it's performance :

(effective clock speed in brackets)

1.133 Ghz (993 Mhz)
1.267 Ghz (1.11 Ghz)
1.533 Ghz (1.34 Ghz)

Obviously this is all theoretical. DDR, larger caches, smaller die size etc... will add serious muscle to whatever negative effect a pipeline stage increase has anyway.

The wierd thing is, if you look at results from any G4 vs Athlon crunch test, the G4 has always matched the Athlon MHz for Mhz no matter what version of the Athlon or G4 is being tested. That means that seeing as the current single CPU results from a 1Ghz G4 with SDRAM vs a 1.4Ghz althon with DDR show that a 1.4Ghz G4 with the current motherboard would match the Athlon, Imagine what damage a 1.5Ghz G4 on a DDR motherboard is going to do to a Pentium 4!

rice_web
Jul 2, 2002, 07:00 PM
I think the large part of the battle is just beating AMD at this point. If Apple does go with 1.5GHz for MWNY (which I wouldn't expect), they would be right behind AMD; and probably on par with Intel.

SPG
Jul 2, 2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
...I don't think that Apple will make these rack-mountable, but I do hope that they will have 2 5.25" drive bays. ...

What do you mean by two drive bays? I've got two HD's in each of the work towers, and three HD's in my machine at home (the third thanks to a promax IDE controller card). Adding another HD is so easy that I do it all the time for archiving...project done, pull the drive and put it on the shelf...easy.

Oh yeah, Rackmountable? What's the Xserve for?

kaneda
Jul 2, 2002, 08:42 PM
Okay, it made sense...becoz Pentium already got dual 2.5 ghz out there...if Apple releases 1.2 or 1.4..then they will be further behind...it used to be only 1ghz gap..but if Apple release 1.2 then goodbye Apple...c ya later!

But I don't think Moto can do it. I don't think they're reach 1.5 ghz yet...but 14 more days..and we all will find out...:D

I need a POWERFUL computer. APPLE CAN YOU HEAR ME? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? I NEED POWERFUL COMPUTER!!!

G4scott
Jul 2, 2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by SPG

What do you mean by two drive bays? I've got two HD's in each of the work towers, and three HD's in my machine at home (the third thanks to a promax IDE controller card). Adding another HD is so easy that I do it all the time for archiving...project done, pull the drive and put it on the shelf...easy.

Oh yeah, Rackmountable? What's the Xserve for?

Sorry. I meant optical drive bays. Currently you can only have 1 CD drive, unless you find a way to hack your case... Apple needs this. For many people, this is a must. (and its easier to copy CD's :D )

rice_web
Jul 2, 2002, 08:52 PM
Here's my boldest prediction yet (or at least today):

- Dual 1.5GHz G4s
- 512K L2 Cache
- 4MB L3 Cache
- 166MHz System Bus
- 333MHz DDR Memory
- Superdrive standard

And, for the Holiday Season:
- Dual 2GHz G4s
(all other specs the same)

Now, granted I don't even believe in this possibility myself, but I'd sure like it. If Apple could release dual-2GHz G4s in November (yeah, November), they would be only 1GHz behind Intel. Intel, by the way, is planning on releasing a 3GHz P4 this holiday season. Apple could cut down on the megahertz gap tremendously this year.

Scottgfx
Jul 3, 2002, 12:17 AM

knowledge

I'm using Illustrator 10 on a dual G4/500. I did do the point update. Some functions are actually a lot faster under X.

robguz
Jul 3, 2002, 07:58 AM
It's funny how when several rumor sites before MWSF in January were saying 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 Ghz towers, a lot of people were bummed out because they weren't the G5. Now with the most optimistic prediction being slower than what the consensus was 6 months ago, everyone is getting excited and says it's too good to be true. I guess we've all learned to dramatically lower our expectations so that still being 1Ghz behind intel is cause for celebration. And remember that a 1.5Ghz would probably be the top of the line for 6 months while Intel moves to 3 Ghz. Steve better pull something magic out of his sleeve because even 1.5Ghz and a revised motherboard ain't gonna let us catch up.

Horne
Jul 3, 2002, 09:29 AM
What exact date will new hardware be announced?

Also, will it be available straight away?

As you see, I am a newbie to the site, and haven't been around for any MacWorld expos etc.

Thanks.

horne
:)

Tiauguinho
Jul 3, 2002, 10:05 AM
Welcome Horne!!!!

The "Possible New Hardware" will be annouced at the 17th of July during Steve Jobs adresse.

Available straight away? Well, I do surely hope so...

Ibjr
Jul 3, 2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
Available straight away? Well, I do surely hope so...

how? look at the flat screen Imac's first shipping date.

Tiauguinho
Jul 3, 2002, 11:36 AM
Lololololo... Well Ibjr, I'm only hoping!

Johnny7896
Jul 3, 2002, 06:32 PM
HOT NEWS!!!!!!

I have been informed that the 2.4 Ghz P4ís donít operate at 2.4 Ghz.
My electronics teacher informed me that a true and verifiable test was performed on the P4 to measure itís operating speed. The University that did the study hooked up oscilloscopes to the P4 to find itís Hertz reading. What they discovered was the main cpu runs at 1.2 Ghz and the co-processor (Internal Math) runs at 1.0 Ghz. Intel added the 2 speeds together to advertise a total additive speed of 2.4 Ghz. The P4 isnít a true 2.4 Ghz and up processor. The P4 actual speed runs far less than the advertised speed. Intel can do this cause there isnít any government regulation on processor speeds. This is very similar to the case of the monitors being sold by viewable and monitor size. The government started to require a ďbuyer bewareĒ regulation stating the true viewable size verse the monitorís physical size. Not many people know this fact cause the results have just been published. This also explains the huge difference in the Athlon 1.7Ghz kiling the P4 2.4Ghz. Come on guys do the math 1.7 greater than 2.4????? Iíll try to find a link soon and post it. This could really change the future of the computer industry. All you people thinking wintel is winning......surprise!! Bottom line stick with the MAC. Intel is pulling the wool over peopleís eyes. Just like Microsoft. Like those apples....

Wake up people!!!!
Spread the real News!!!!
Knowledge is contagious!!!

King Cobra
Jul 3, 2002, 08:15 PM
Johnny, you lost me. You said that the processor at 1.2GHz and the co-processor at 1.0GHz makes 2.4GHz? Don't you mean to say that it's 1.2GHz + 1.2GHz, or is this a mistake Intel made? :eek:

Well, that's another flaw of peecees! :cool:

porovaara
Jul 4, 2002, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Johnny7896
HOT NEWS!!!!!!

My electronics teacher informed me that a true and verifiable test was performed on the P4 to measure itís operating speed. The

I suggest finding a new teacher immediately, perhaps one that knows what he is talking about.

DavPeanut
Jul 4, 2002, 10:14 AM
This is good. Get apple to publicize it. It would kill intel. Put out a 1.5 Ghz. and people will be ok with buying that instead of AMD.

Cappy
Jul 5, 2002, 02:18 AM
Yes, please find a new teacher. If this was true and your "teacher" had half a brain, this would be publicized on the web. You don't even name the university. ::sigh::

iH8Quark
Jul 5, 2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Johnny7896
HOT NEWS!!!!!!

I have been informed that the 2.4 Ghz P4ís donít operate at 2.4 Ghz.
My electronics teacher informed me that a true and verifiable test was performed on the P4 to measure itís operating speed. The University that did the study hooked up oscilloscopes to the P4 to find itís Hertz reading. What they discovered was the main cpu runs at 1.2 Ghz and the co-processor (Internal Math) runs at 1.0 Ghz. Intel added the 2 speeds together to advertise a total additive speed of 2.4 Ghz. The P4 isnít a true 2.4 Ghz and up processor. The P4 actual speed runs far less than the advertised speed. Intel can do this cause there isnít any government regulation on processor speeds. This is very similar to the case of the monitors being sold by viewable and monitor size. The government started to require a ďbuyer bewareĒ regulation stating the true viewable size verse the monitorís physical size. Not many people know this fact cause the results have just been published. This also explains the huge difference in the Athlon 1.7Ghz kiling the P4 2.4Ghz. Come on guys do the math 1.7 greater than 2.4????? Iíll try to find a link soon and post it. This could really change the future of the computer industry. All you people thinking wintel is winning......surprise!! Bottom line stick with the MAC. Intel is pulling the wool over peopleís eyes. Just like Microsoft. Like those apples....

Wake up people!!!!
Spread the real News!!!!
Knowledge is contagious!!!

This must be a Nebraska thing. Eventually you get tired of watching the corn grow, and have to find new things to get excited about. ;)

Grokgod
Jul 6, 2002, 01:07 AM
Now I am not one to point fingers, point point----->>>>>Johnny's post!

I dont knwow anythign about math, but this seems not possible!@

But this seems too good to be true because if it was true there would have been SOME interest somewhere about it, wouldnt there ?

Now this professor is either the best or the most worst teacher in the whole freakin world!

I think that you should give us his email address so that we can have a little chat with him and find out if it is even slightly possible that this is true...

Can you back up your post or is this a trick to get everyone intersted or to get some attention?

DavPeanut
Jul 6, 2002, 10:36 AM
If its true, it would kill Pc's

theranch
Jul 6, 2002, 10:53 PM
I doubt that this is true... we would have heard about this long ago and Apple would have exploited this little 1.2 processor/1.2 co-processor deal.
Get us hard evidence if it is in fact true.

mmcneil
Jul 7, 2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
Holy S*%^!!! OF course it is Spymac and the next time the get something right Hell will freeze over, but that would be so freakin cool!

Hope we'll need them:p

mmcneil
Jul 7, 2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by theranch
I doubt that this is true... we would have heard about this long ago and Apple would have exploited this little 1.2 processor/1.2 co-processor deal.
Get us hard evidence if it is in fact true.

I believe the confusion is rampant, but according to a good friend who tracks these things the P4 is dual core each core having a FP and Integer processor. Not sure if I have added to the confusion :D

rice_web
Jul 7, 2002, 03:13 PM
Hey, here's my rumor of the day:

iMac
- 733 to 867MHz
- 133MHz system bus

Cube
- up to 1.33GHz
- 133MHz system bus

PowerMac
- up to 1.5GHz
- 166MHz system bus
- 333MHz DDR memory

Heh, just a possibility with the cube rumors floating around. With this configuration, the PowerMacs would cost an arm and a leg. So, Apple re-releases the Cube to fill a price point.

I'm still sticking with 1.33GHz PowerMacs with DDR, but I could also see this line-up as a possibility. Although, I do expect both USB2 and FireWire2.

rice_web
Jul 7, 2002, 03:19 PM
And, in other news:

http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=006285

Someone noticed this page at Apple.com:

http://www.apple.com/games/macworld/ny02/

It says, "The newest iMacs and Power Macs will be on hand" in reference to MWNY. Sheesh.

King Cobra
Jul 7, 2002, 03:48 PM
>It says, "The newest iMacs and Power Macs will be on hand" in reference to MWNY.
Hey, arn, didn't you predict that there would be updates to only PowerMacs and no updates to iMacs, Powerbooks or iBooks? (Emphasis on iMac...)

Can we drop the johnny post?

Actually, since nobody seems to appreciate his post...

"Go! Go, Johnny, go! Go!" :D :cool:

emagdnimy
Jul 8, 2002, 03:44 AM
prepare to be underwhelmed. it happens every time. no matter what you think is going to happen it won't live up to your expectations. at least as long as you keep up with rumor pages. after last MWNY i told myself i was never going to get pumped for a show again. then what do you know, in january apple starts telling me how great the show was going to be and so naturally i thought that it was going to be the show that exceeding or at least met my expectations. but wow, that was the biggest let down of all. anyway, whatever you think will be revealed at this coming macworld, divide it by 2 and subtract 10. then you won't be too dissapointed!