PDA

View Full Version : gta3 on mac

nassau
Jul 2, 2002, 11:46 AM
ok, here's the deal; i own a copy of gta3 for pc. after july 17th i will buy the fastest iBook available on the market. i hope to be able to play gta3 pc version on my new iBook running vpc5.

question: will this be possible or impossible? :confused:

if impossible, i will also buy myself a ps2 :p

peace

sevag1
Jul 2, 2002, 12:23 PM
GTA3 requires a lot of video power.. and the ibook, with its small Video memory, will be unable to handle such a game. ON top of that its being emulated, so i would say your chances are close to 0. Get a ps2.

D0ct0rteeth
Jul 2, 2002, 12:27 PM
sevag1 is right.

gaming w/ VPC is useless.

sorry. but it true. get a ps2.

C-

menoinjun
Jul 2, 2002, 12:28 PM
Video power is not the big issue here. The problem is with Direct X. Virtual PC doesn't support direct X at all, or if so very little. Most games that require it won't run under VPC. So I agree with the above as far as getting a PS2.

-Pete

smeegs
Jul 2, 2002, 12:29 PM
Sorry but you can't run 3D games with VPC5, it's something that they took out with version 4, (for some reason).

The PS2 version rocks by the way, it was created first and there aren't as many cars in it but apart from that Happy Theiving

edesignuk
Jul 2, 2002, 01:02 PM
Sorry to mirror what others have allready said, but...

...Not a hope in hell!

VPC is painfully slow even just doing simple tasks, you have no chance of gaming with it.

nassau
Jul 2, 2002, 01:10 PM
thanks for all replys. they are basically what i had expected, i just wanted to make sure i wasn't making an ass of myself buying the ps2 first (tomorrow) and the iBook onthe 17th and realizing i coulda saved my ps2 money...

thanks

btw, any news on gta3 being ported to mac? :D

AlphaTech
Jul 2, 2002, 01:14 PM
gta3+vpc5=NFW

I have a question for you about playing gta3 on the peecee... I have heard complaints about the frame rate being suck ass... how is it on yours, and what system do you have (if a custom/self build, what are your major components)? I haven't had any frame rate issues on my über-game peecee, but then again, it's well built. :D

swahilibill
Jul 2, 2002, 01:23 PM
Dont get the iBook if you are a big gamer, the powerbook has more Video Ram and a better card. Before I got my new iMac, I had the iBook, great functioning computer, but unfortunately it does not play games in the best fashion.

" And my name is not Teabag, its teabg, Get It Right!"

nassau
Jul 2, 2002, 01:25 PM
i have a CRAP dell P3 500mhz piece of **** laptop... if not, i'd be playing that gta thin atm... i get about 1 or 2 fps, yea u heard me 1 or 2! :D

AlphaTech
Jul 2, 2002, 01:32 PM
Damn dude, then I almost feel sorry for you, but someone purchased that dell PoC that you have...

I built up the game system that I use... has an AMD XP2100+ processor, 768MB of PC2100, two 160GB drives (RAID 0=320GB drive :D), dvd-rom (don't need a burner for the peecee), Sound Blaster Audiogy gamer edition card, Radeon 8500 (64MB version), 3Com NIC all inside a CoolerMaster ATC110 case. :D The RAID is via a Promise TX2000 controller, which has proven to be pretty damned good. The Radeon is attached to a ViewSonic VG175 LCD monitor, and I have a set of Cambridge Soundworks speakers attached to it (2.1 system) that just kicks ASS! Almost forgot, I use only Gigabyte boards, which is why I have a GA-7DXR there (diabled the RAID feature when I installed the Promise card).

I haven't tried to get a frame rate yet, it moves very smooth, without bogging down at all. UT runs sweet, as does Tribes 2, Commanche 4, you name it, it runs... :D

Next addition/alteration will be when ATI and nVidia release their next generation GPUs... I will get a new card at that point. Until then, it will continue to rock on... :D

nassau
Jul 2, 2002, 01:38 PM
yea, just shove it down my throat won't u! :D

and can u imagine i sat ur until 4 am playing gta3 with 1 FPS, that's how desperate i was for gta... but i had fun, lots of time to ponder ur next move! :D

AlphaTech
Jul 2, 2002, 01:44 PM
LMAO!!!

Anytime... I probably won't be building a completely new system until AMD releases the next generation of chip (not Athlon based) in a couple of years. Either that, or when I start to see the system stutter on games that I simply cannot live without, then I will start 'tweaking' it full bore. Thing is, I could keep most of the components I have, and just update the mobo, cpu, memory, and video card and be good for another few years. :D

In case you can't tell... I'm addicted to tech/computers. I love Mac's (reason I own the new TiBook), but I also see a place for peecee's (game boxes). :D

Why don't you get the iBook and then build up a game peecee instead of purchasing a console?? Consoles are very limited, where you can do more with the system. Online gaming is a snap with a computer, but not so with consoles. I even heard that when the heXbox has the online gaming feature, you will be forced to use the ISP THEY tell you to (MSN). Talk about a reason to NOT get one... :D

nassau
Jul 2, 2002, 01:48 PM
xbox smn scary... nah, imma run with ps2, i but for gta and getaway ONLY, don't care much for other games except FPS like TO ghost recon etc etc...

peecee's are too expensive, plus, i don'twant a big screen in my small appartment, i'm an all out laptop guy...
:)

job
Jul 2, 2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by nassau
....except FPS like TO ghost recon etc etc...

TO = Tactical-Ops?

hitman

job
Jul 2, 2002, 02:32 PM
....except FPS like TO ghost recon etc etc...

TO = Tactical-Ops?

hitman

nassau
Jul 2, 2002, 02:58 PM
yiea!!

u play?

job
Jul 2, 2002, 03:24 PM
yiea!!

u play?

sorry about the double post up there.

anyways, yes I play! i have been playing since beta 1.2 was new. :D
did you ever post in the tactical-ops forums, as I seem to recall a "nassau" there as well?

AlphaTech
Jul 2, 2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by hitman
sorry about the double post up there.

Then delete one... :p

As for TO, I tried it last night on my TiBook... the downloadable one isn't anywhere near as good as UT. I play UT and FPS games to kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill... heh heh heh heh :D :D :D (get the point??? :D). TO just doesn't do it for me...

job
Jul 2, 2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech

Then delete one... :p

As for TO, I tried it last night on my TiBook... the downloadable one isn't anywhere near as good as UT. I play UT and FPS games to kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill... heh heh heh heh :D :D :D (get the point??? :D). TO just doesn't do it for me...

I tried to delete one, however it said that my login was not valid for me to delete my own post. :rolleyes:

Heh, not enough gibs in TO for ya? :D :D

AlphaTech
Jul 2, 2002, 03:49 PM

I tried to delete one, however it said that my login was not valid for me to delete my own post. :rolleyes:

Heh, not enough gibs in TO for ya? :D :D

You could PM one of the moderators to have them delete the dual post...

Nope, I like gobs of gibs... :D:D The bloodier the better... Nothing quite like using the chain gun on someone and making them stand there shaking as you keep shooting them even after they are dead. They don't drop until you stop, or they go splat. :D :D

job
Jul 2, 2002, 03:56 PM

You could PM one of the moderators to have them delete the dual post...

Nope, I like gobs of gibs... :D:D The bloodier the better... Nothing quite like using the chain gun on someone and making them stand there shaking as you keep shooting them even after they are dead. They don't drop until you stop, or they go splat. :D :D

Why use the minigun when you could just play InstaGib CTF? :D :D Gibs, Gibs, and Gibs. But wait there's more!...more Gibs!! :D

Just wondering, aren't you a mod? Demi-God and all..... :p

AlphaTech
Jul 2, 2002, 04:16 PM
Why use the minigun when you could just play InstaGib CTF? :D :D Gibs, Gibs, and Gibs. But wait there's more!...more Gibs!! :D

Just wondering, aren't you a mod? Demi-God and all..... :p

Demi-God, God, close enought... :D I am not a mod, since they actually have to be nice to the members/newbies here. I don't think I would last too long that way. Just something about tossing another newbie onto the fire in the winter that just makes me smile. :D Hell, I even do it in the middle of a heat wave. :D

I also enjoy the sniper head shots where the head is no longer there. :D Try SOF2 sometime, you can shoot people in the head, and parts of it come off.. can make for some fairly sick images, but cool at the same time. :D

Of course, you do realize that I will have to fire up the game system when I get home tonight, and begin killing all over the place... :D

job
Jul 2, 2002, 04:25 PM

Demi-God, God, close enought... :D I am not a mod, since they actually have to be nice to the members/newbies here. I don't think I would last too long that way. Just something about tossing another newbie onto the fire in the winter that just makes me smile. :D Hell, I even do it in the middle of a heat wave. :D

I also enjoy the sniper head shots where the head is no longer there. :D Try SOF2 sometime, you can shoot people in the head, and parts of it come off.. can make for some fairly sick images, but cool at the same time. :D

Of course, you do realize that I will have to fire up the game system when I get home tonight, and begin killing all over the place... :D

You as a mod, yeah, I guess that would be kind of scary. Might keep people from joining, but then you would keep all the "i OWnZ YoU caUsE I be l33T" people away from the forum as well. :p

How about Kingpin? **shudder** Lots of gratutious gore and profanity, and oh yeah, a little killing on the side :D What about those famous groin shots in SoF2? :D

Bah, I won't have a decent gaming system until this winter (i.e. after the expo). I really am hoping for a baseline tower with 1 to 1.2 Ghz, DDR-RAM, a L3 cache, and any Radeon for about 1,500 to 2,000 dollars. I would probably shell out an extra hundred dollars for a Radeon 8500. Seeing as I am paying for this myself, it might be awhile before I am able to play games on the level you do. (after reading about your PC gaming rig, it sounds very nice indeed. :D )

AlphaTech
Jul 2, 2002, 04:32 PM
How about tossing a blade into someone's chest in SOF2?? :D Personally, I liked making leg shots and then finishing them off as they crawl around. :D, Aye, I am a sick *******... :D :D

MOHAA is good with the shots too... Give that a twirl when you get a chance.. very nicely done game, hard as all hell in parts (depending on how you play ;)).

I can barely wait for UT2 to hit the shelves later this month... I will be trying to get a copy as soon as possible... :D

BTW, when you get that Radeon 8500 for your new svelte Mac tower, I will probably have the next generation GPU inside the game pc. :D :p

job
Jul 2, 2002, 04:51 PM
MOHAA is good with the shots too... Give that a twirl when you get a chance.. very nicely done game, hard as all hell in parts (depending on how you play ;)).

I can barely wait for UT2 to hit the shelves later this month... I will be trying to get a copy as soon as possible... :D

BTW, when you get that Radeon 8500 for your new svelte Mac tower, I will probably have the next generation GPU inside the game pc. :D :p

I though it was UT2k3 that was being released this fall. Grrr, I can't even play MoH : AA at the moment. I'm stuck with UT and Quake 3 until I buy the tower. :p I watched an in game video of MoH and a the player shot a German guard in the leg with the sniper rifle and the guard started to limp away until he was taken down with a well placed head shot. It looks like my type of game. :D

Bah, I think with an 8500 plus a 1 to 1.2 Ghz chip which would allow me to get nearly 100 FPS in 800*600 resolution for games like RtCW and MoH : AA with detail settings on high is enough for me, especially since I'm a student running on a budget (and can't afford the GeForce 4Ti.) :rolleyes:

AlphaTech
Jul 2, 2002, 05:01 PM
I won't go with a gf card... not when I can spend less money and get a top of the line card from ATI.

When you are sqweezing out that frame rate, mine will probably be pushing out 1-1/2x that (or more). :D

UT2 (Unreal Tournament 2) is coming out this month. There is another one coming out in a couple of months as well, but that is a different flavor. Both look promising... I wonder how long before either/both come to the Mac though.

BTW, I run all my games at a resolution of at least 1024x768, at least on the game tower. I haven't run them all that much on the TiBook, so I am still playing with the settings. Since I am color blind, 16 bit color is just fine with me... since the 32 bit would be a bit of a waste. :D

nassau
Jul 2, 2002, 05:08 PM
ok, threadnapping is bag ok... :p

my question remain: any news of gta3 ever being released for mac?

and another one, will my iBook (700mhz at least, u know the rest of the specs) be good enuf for gaming?

and yes hitman, i am nassau from the TO forums, also check credits for the game heh :p

peace

nassau
Jul 2, 2002, 05:13 PM
and is U2 and UT2003 coming for mac?

job
Jul 3, 2002, 12:20 AM
BTW, I run all my games at a resolution of at least 1024x768, at least on the game tower. I haven't run them all that much on the TiBook, so I am still playing with the settings. Since I am color blind, 16 bit color is just fine with me... since the 32 bit would be a bit of a waste. :D

Are you totally colorblind or can you still see some colors or shades? I dunno about you, but 16 bit color just looks "fuzzy" to me. Guess it is a little different for you. :D

I don't really like Nvidia cards that much either. I'm hoping the 128MB Radeon 8500 will become available for the Mac soon.

I want to play MoH : AA!!!! (and Warcraft 3) :D

job
Jul 3, 2002, 12:25 AM
ok, threadnapping is bag ok... :p

my question remain: any news of gta3 ever being released for mac?

and another one, will my iBook (700mhz at least, u know the rest of the specs) be good enuf for gaming?

and yes hitman, i am nassau from the TO forums, also check credits for the game heh :p

peace

I'm not sure if GTA 3 will come to the Mac. My best guess would be that, "yes" eventually, in one form or another, GTA 3 will probably make it's way to the Mac platform, however, that is just a guess and with no idea given to any sort of time frame I would not take my answer as something to bank on. It is mearly speculation. The iBook will be good enough for probably 2 to 3 years of gaming, provided you have enough RAM.

Are you still part of the TO team? Are you helping them develop AoT? I think I even have some of your maps, like TO-Omega. :D

hitman

job
Jul 3, 2002, 12:27 AM
and is U2 and UT2003 coming for mac?

Most likely. With the great sucess the Unreal series has had in the Mac community, Westlake and MacSoft would be mad to not port any of the new Unreal games. :D

MacAztec
Jul 3, 2002, 12:33 AM
By the time you want to purchase your next PC for gaming, i bet there will be some pretty nice macs that'll get the job done ;)

job
Jul 3, 2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by MacAztec
By the time you want to purchase your next PC for gaming, i bet there will be some pretty nice macs that'll get the job done ;)

And I'm hoping to buy one.... :D

TEG
Jul 3, 2002, 12:45 AM
#1.. The PS2 is a P.o.C.
#2.. Gta is a great game and was Destroyed by being Ported to the PC.
#3.. GTA3 Needs to be ported to the MAC, It was writen on a mac, why can't it be played on a mac..... Same goes for all Star Trek, Star Wars, and Action Games, and Sim City 4.

TEG

AlphaTech
Jul 3, 2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by MacAztec

I won't be 'purchasing' a game peecee, I built the one I have, and I will just update it as I see fit. The way I have it now, it will be a snap to upgrade it later. Even changing the motherboard is going to be easy (required for the next generation processor).

As for getting another Mac system, well, when I can afford to get another tower, I intend to. It may not happen until MWSF03 or maybe in 04... all depends on how fast I get some bills either paid down, or eliminated. Until then, I will continue to use my 800MHz TiBook... which I really do intend to keep for more then a year.. :D

job
Jul 3, 2002, 12:53 AM
As for getting another Mac system, well, when I can afford to get another tower, I intend to. It may not happen until MWSF03 or maybe in 04... all depends on how fast I get some bills either paid down, or eliminated. Until then, I will continue to use my 800MHz TiBook... which I really do intend to keep for more then a year.. :D

Grrr.....800Mhz.....grrr.......grumble......2*as fast as mine........grrrr......lucky b**t**d....
:D :p

I'm halfway to the price of a baseline tower. And all the money I have earned is tax free! Whee!

Beigean
Jul 3, 2002, 01:00 AM
at or around E3, Rockstar announced that the GTA series will be a PS2 exclusive. They had been developing a GameboyAdvance version (dreams of a portable GTA3...sigh) but it was cancelled because of the exclusitivity agreement. They were also considering a Gamecube version, but that too was canned.

I doubt it will ever be released for the Mac unless Rockstar exploits some loophole and lets Macsoft port it.

job
Jul 3, 2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Beigean
at or around E3, Rockstar announced that the GTA series will be a PS2 exclusive. They had been developing a GameboyAdvance version (dreams of a portable GTA3...sigh) but it was cancelled because of the exclusitivity agreement. They were also considering a Gamecube version, but that too was canned.

I doubt it will ever be released for the Mac unless Rockstar exploits some loophole and lets Macsoft port it.

What about the PC version of GTA 3? I have played it on a beige box before so I don't see how it is a "PS2 exclusive."

hitman

ArtMan617
Jul 4, 2002, 02:52 PM
One suggestion on getting that iBook...

Wait Until AFTER MWNY!!!

There' s a good chance Apple will unveil a new iBook update which could save you money!!

-ArtMan617

AlphaTech
Jul 4, 2002, 03:01 PM
What about the PC version of GTA 3? I have played it on a beige box before so I don't see how it is a "PS2 exclusive."

One word explains it all... "newbie" :D :eek: :eek: :D

AlphaTech
Jul 4, 2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by ArtMan617
One suggestion on getting that iBook...

Wait Until AFTER MWNY!!!

There' s a good chance Apple will unveil a new iBook update which could save you money!!

Not save you money, but get you a higher level of computer for the same money. Apple will increase the specifications of the system but keep the cost the same. The only way you will 'save money' is if you purchase the older version from a place looking to blow out inventory. Then again, for a few more $$ you can get the brand new system.

I would go with the new, since you are already set to spend the money.

ArtMan617
Jul 4, 2002, 05:03 PM
Just to get a little technical, isn't getting a better computer for the same amount of money saving money? If you get a 20 gig HD with your new iBook (I realize this is an outdated example) and the old one would only give you 10 GB, you would have to spend more money to get the same amount of hard drive space. Therefore, by getting a better computer for the same amount of money you are saving money.

-ArtMan617

AlphaTech
Jul 4, 2002, 05:07 PM
Getting more value for the money is NOT the same as saving money. Saving means money not spent.

Bobd
Jul 4, 2002, 06:29 PM
Hey Alphatech,

I'm curious : what gaming needs do you have that requires 320 GB of hard drive space?

AlphaTech
Jul 4, 2002, 06:39 PM
I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't run out of drive space, ever... :D Plus, with the way that windblows does it's memory management, the more free drive space you have, the better. I have some games that use multiple cd's, and I always go with the maximum install on all the games. You know, the kind that can take over a GB of drive space (depending on the game that is).

job
Jul 4, 2002, 11:28 PM

One word explains it all... "newbie" :D :eek: :eek: :D

Who, him or me? :D

AlphaTech
Jul 4, 2002, 11:52 PM

Who, him or me? :D

Yes... LOL!!!

(I was referring to the person that actually has the title of newbie... :p)

job
Jul 5, 2002, 12:07 AM

Yes... LOL!!!

(I was referring to the person that actually has the title of newbie... :p)

Just making sure. :D

{In a totally unrelated note, I nearly nuked my neighbor's house when a rather large bottle rocket when horizontal, instead of vertical} :D

tjwett
Mar 16, 2003, 09:59 AM
ok, here's the deal; i own a copy of gta3 for pc. after july 17th i will buy the fastest iBook available on the market. i hope to be able to play gta3 pc version on my new iBook running vpc5.

question: will this be possible or impossible? :confused:

if impossible, i will also buy myself a ps2 :p

peace

i can't even play Worms using VPC. Forget it, end of story. It's cool that you are entering the Mac world, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but don't get too excited about gaming. We wait a long time for ports that sometimes never come, and when they do they sometimes blow. And whether or not we like to admit it, our hardware isn't exactly "cutting edge", which leaves gameplay on some newer titles a lot to be desired. I would recommend you hang on to a PC or console for gaming.

ArtMan617
Mar 16, 2003, 11:10 AM
Yikes. That is quite possibly the largest time span between posts in a single thread I've ever seen (July 2002 to March 2003). I must applaud you, tjwett, for digging this thread up! :D

-ArtMan617

tjwett
Mar 16, 2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by ArtMan617
Yikes. That is quite possibly the largest time span between posts in a single thread I've ever seen (July 2002 to March 2003). I must applaud you, tjwett, for digging this thread up! :D

-ArtMan617

well, thanks. geez, i don't know where to start...first i'd like to thank the academy...

crapple33
Mar 25, 2003, 03:02 AM
Well, back to the original subject... Does anyone know if there are any plans at all for GTA III for Mac? I would be very surprised...

But if you're looking for a GTA-style game for mac, check out Payback:

Straight from the web site:
Payback lets you have all the fun of automobile thievery and random violence without any of the pesky life-changing consequences. With an astounding array of weapons, an assortment of cars ready to be stolen, and a kickin? soundtrack to pass the time in your new ride, Payback is the ultimate mayhem-making, hell-raising game for the Macintosh!

Terror on Your Terms
Blow through the city at your own pace. You can do what the local kingpin tells you, uncover secret missions or just go on a mad killing spree. In Payback, You don?t need to accomplish every mission; simply earn enough points to make it to the next city. Hidden secrets will keep you coming back to cities you?ve already mastered.

Slick Wheels
Steal rocket-fast sportscars. Hijack buses and listen to the passengers scream at every sharp turn or bump. Deliver death in your very own ice cream truck, complete with chimes! Be bold, and steal a police cruiser from under a cop?s nose. Do it all, and more, in Payback. It sure beats walking!

Fast-flying Lead
You?ll also have an arsenal to help you complete missions or slaughter innocents. If a pistol doesn?t pack enough punch, try a shotgun on for size. Unleash a wall of lead with the minigun. Sick and twisted types will enjoy the plentiful supply of flamethrowers and grenades scattered throughout the town in armament crates. Or just run over anyone that gets in your way. It?s your crime - do it any way you want!

Many ?hoods to Rule
You haven?t really driven a car until you?ve skidded it on freshly fallen snow. Or, perhaps you prefer to burn rubber in the summertime. Payback?s realistic physics capabilities let you trash cars in any weather.

Advanced 3D Engine
The game engine supports perspective correct texture mapping, environment mapping (reflections), bump mapping, realistic shadows, alpha-channelling (lens flares, explosions and shockwaves), 12 channel 3D sound and realistic physics.

Trash Your Hometown
Tired of dominating the cities that come with the game? Payback?s map editor lets you build your own stomping grounds.

the website is www.vpltd.com

I must warn you, this game is inferior to GTA in every way, but if you really want it, it's almost acceptable.

i_am_a_cow
Mar 25, 2003, 05:07 AM
i have a CRAP dell P3 500mhz piece of **** laptop... if not, i'd be playing that gta thin atm... i get about 1 or 2 fps, yea u heard me 1 or 2! :D

are you saying that 500 mhz is slow?:mad: My G4 is running at 466 mhz and i can still play warcraft 3 at a reasonable speed usually. 500 is only slow with PCs