PDA

View Full Version : Mixer/Pro Tools Dilemma

LouiTheFish
Jun 9, 2009, 10:39 PM
Hi,
This is going to be a total noob question so bear with. I have a few microphones and I've got an MBox (original) and I've also got Pro Tools LE running on 1st gen MacBook Pro unibody (decked out maximum). I really want to use a mixer that isn't one of DigiDesign's own with ProTools and just can't figure out how to do that without spending a fortune. Can anyone help me?

Thanks so much

WinterMute
Jun 10, 2009, 03:41 AM
You'll need a different interface to use an audio mixer with protools, and that will be expensive.

The M-box only has 2 outputs, you may find that changing to M-powered Protools and buying an M-audio 1418 is about as cheap as it gets...!

Alternatively you could go down the controller route, there are a number of good controllers on the market that will speak to Protools with no problems, from the expensive Euphonix to the Behringer copy units.

It really depends on what you want to do with the rig once you have it, a little more info would be good.

LouiTheFish
Jun 10, 2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks for replying. Essentially what I want to do is record multiple things at once. I like doing live takes in our little room and it would be nice to be able to use multiple mics at once. I really don't want to have to switch ProTools systems so do I have any options?

pkoch1
Jun 10, 2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks for replying. Essentially what I want to do is record multiple things at once. I like doing live takes in our little room and it would be nice to be able to use multiple mics at once. I really don't want to have to switch ProTools systems so do I have any options?

If you're stuck with Pro Tools LE, your only real option is looking at the 002/003s.

LouiTheFish
Jun 10, 2009, 10:27 AM
Yeah that's what I'm getting the sense of. What if I record into Logic Pro (which I have) and move the tracks over to Pro Tools LE for mixing? Can I do that?

WinterMute
Jun 10, 2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah that's what I'm getting the sense of. What if I record into Logic Pro (which I have) and move the tracks over to Pro Tools LE for mixing? Can I do that?

Absolutely, it's done all the time, although I think most people go the other way!

The best approach is to track in whatever platform you like, consolidate the audio so that each track starts in exactly the same place (usually bar 1 beat 1) and has no gaps in it, then transfer the audio.

This means you'll preserve the sync of each track in Protools, you can then edit or use Strip silence to remove the gaps, leaving the audio.

Ironically, I think you'll find that Logic is a better platform than LE for mixing in the computer, Protools HD takes over when used in conjunction with a well stocked studio, at least for me it does, as I prefer the interface and workflow for editing and mixing.

Logic is certainly a more powerful platform in a standard Macintosh.

I'm not convinced about the sound of Logic however, and I really don't like the UI.

zimv20
Jun 10, 2009, 08:26 PM

regardless of what software you use to record, you're still missing an interface that gives you more simultaneous channels than the 2 you've got. so unless you shell out for a digi002 or digi003, as pkoch mentioned, you're also proposing to spend more money on software along with a hardware purchase.

unless you sell your mbox w/ the software license and start over.

LouiTheFish
Jun 10, 2009, 08:51 PM
What I'm thinking (and again I really appreciate your responses) is that I can just buy a Presonus Firestudio or something of the sort that's compatible with Logic Pro and record there and export. I realize it isn't ideal but I just can't justify shelling out for an 002 or 003.

zimv20
Jun 10, 2009, 09:38 PM
oh, i missed the bit that you already have Logic. yes, your plan would work.