Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conch575

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I used my friends PC Laptop and her trackpad was really small and really slow and hard to use. I love my MacBook's trackpad! It is so much bigger and easier to use, my finger just glides and it's just so good! Easier to scroll and do things which are harder to do on a PC trackpad.

Do you like your trackpad?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Absolutely. It's one of the best features of my 17" UB MBP. It always feels smooth. Past trackpads can feel sticky if your finger isn't totally dry. It doesn't matter with this one.

My only negative is the physical button - it's a bit loud for my taste. I use the tap-to-click, so I only use the button when dragging. On the other hand, getting rid of a separate button was a great idea. The extra real estate is great.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I'm very satisfied with my MacBook's trackpad, it's noticeably better than most tracpkads I've used, although the button can get strangely crunchy.

The only thing I find far superior to it is the pointing stick on ThinkPads. Takes some getting used to, but after you do, it's nearly as good as a real mouse.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
You're the first person I hear that LIKES the pointing stick :p
As I said, it takes some getting used to. People who see them on their friends' laptops and give them a spin usually don't like them at first. But if you ask people who have owned ThinkPads themselves, most of them love it.

Chozo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
I love the two-finger scrolling. I'm so accustomed to it, I find myself attempting to do it on a friends laptop. Their trackpads are usually smaller and you have to use the very right side of it to scroll up and down and I find it too...buggy. Half the time it scrolls the way I want it to, the other half it doesn't.

BayouBengal

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Houston,TX
On the occasion that I use my work issued Dell laptop I find myself doing the 2 finger gesture to scroll. Alas, it doesn't seem to work on the Dell.:p

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Hey, I'm in Minnesota too! Represent!

the new trackpads are easily the best thing out there. At first it felt awkward (migrating from a pc notebook) but the more you use it, the more you realize that it is absolutely fantastic. So intuitive and natural feeling and your fingers just fly on it!

I highly reccomend opening the settings and enabling tap to click. like mentioned by someone before, the button is ok for dragging. I personally have it set up where if I double tap and move, it drags and keeps the drag until i tap again (drag lock or whatever)

kudos to apple on this one

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Everything about a PC trackpad feels bad..
Yeah, of course, there is absolutely no personal computer in existence that isn't made by Apple and has a nice trackpad. They must have a patent on well-working trackpads.

conch575

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, of course, there is absolutely no personal computer in existence that isn't made by Apple and has a nice trackpad. They must have a patent on well-working trackpads.

I agree with you. They're just so small and very slow, it takes multiple swipes for the pointer to get from the bottom of the screen to the top!

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I love the two-finger scrolling. I'm so accustomed to it, I find myself attempting to do it on a friends laptop. Their trackpads are usually smaller and you have to use the very right side of it to scroll up and down and I find it too...buggy. Half the time it scrolls the way I want it to, the other half it doesn't.

I have to second your statements. Multi-touch is what brought me to buy a Mac. I hate trackpads with a passion. But, Apple proved that I can like one. If the MBPs did not get multi-touch I would most likely be working on a deplorable Dell Inspiron 15.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I agree with you. They're just so small and very slow, it takes multiple swipes for the pointer to get from the bottom of the screen to the top!
Yeah, and that pesky mouse speed/acceleration slider is nowhere to be found.

Jeremy81

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Oklahoma
I like the trackpad on my original black MacBook and love the glass trackpad on my 13" unibody. Every PC notebook I've used recently seems horrible compared to them. Admittedly, even the black MacBook's trackpad feels sticky and small compared to the newer one.

conch575

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I like the trackpad on my original black MacBook and love the glass trackpad on my 13" unibody. Every PC notebook I've used recently seems horrible compared to them. Admittedly, even the black MacBook's trackpad feels sticky and small compared to the newer one.

I have a white macbook, I really want to try the new macbook's trackpad and compare!

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I love the texture and the ease of use.

I hate the noise, the accidental clicking, tap to click when I get fed up with physically clicking, everyone asking how it works and then not for their lives being able to use it (I don't see what's so hard), how it doesn't click at the top, and that every now and then it just completely ignores me. (big sarcastic grin)

Jeremy81

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Oklahoma
I love the texture and the ease of use.

I hate the noise, the accidental clicking, tap to click when I get fed up with physically clicking, everyone asking how it works and then not for their lives being able to use it (I don't see what's so hard), how it doesn't click at the top, and that every now and then it just completely ignores me. (big sarcastic grin)

I've always used tap-to-click only. I'm not a fan of the clicking trackpad. It works exactly how I want it to by just using tap-to-click.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I've always used tap-to-click only. I'm not a fan of the clicking trackpad. It works exactly how I want it to by just using tap-to-click.

I like tap to click most of the time but I seem to have fine motor skills reminiscent of a central nervous system disorder and it always thinks I'm dragging. I've tried turning off dragging but I can't live without it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.