PDA

View Full Version : WhyIsMyNewiBookSoSLOW?

Mr. Monsieur
May 12, 2004, 10:23 PM
I'm pretty frustrated with my new iBook's performance on the Internet and am trying to figure out what the problem is. I'm running it through a wireless router connected to my parents two year old hewlett packard (which is less powerful, but is much faster on the Internet!) Is it because I'm using Airport? I'm just about to add an extra 512 MB RAM, but I'm not sure that that's the solution...any ideas?

Coolvirus007
May 12, 2004, 10:44 PM
I think its because your connecting the wireless router through another computer that is connected to the internet. Or it can be becase the HP has a slow NIC. It you have a fast internet connect, connect your modem directly to your network hub.

question fear
May 13, 2004, 12:33 AM
also, it would help if you gave some more info on what "slow" means.
for example, when I first got my ibook i used AIM from aol's site, and it ate my processor speed like crazy...so did netscape. when i got rid of those holdovers from my pc time, my internet speed was up because the programs i was using to access the net (adium/ichat and safari/mozilla) were smaller/less bloated and kept my 'puter running happy.
while its probably not helping that you're routing the internet through the hp, also look at how you're getting your sites, etc. are your downloads slow too?
-c

abhishekit
May 13, 2004, 12:38 AM
yes, bit more info would help. slow as in, slow to open webpages, or slow to open up apps when u have more than one open...or slow in games,.?
if its just the internet, may be ur router is 802.11a, n u need to get a faster one..

CmdrLaForge
May 13, 2004, 03:34 AM
Its not your iBook (the hardware) Your iBook is really pretty fast. I use an older model G3 900MHz with 10.2.8 and surfing the internet on a DSL LAN connection is really pretty fast. I cannot believe its the Airport card either.

So - looks more like that HP thing. But definitly - we need more details.

James L
May 13, 2004, 05:45 AM
Have you taken the ethernet DSL cable, or dial up phone cable (whatever you use), and plugged it straight into your iBook to see what the speed is like without the airport in the equation?

Chip NoVaMac
May 13, 2004, 06:42 AM
More info would be helpful. My PB 12" rev B does just fine. Though I don't use any chat clients.

question fear
May 13, 2004, 09:40 AM
yes, bit more info would help. slow as in, slow to open webpages, or slow to open up apps when u have more than one open...or slow in games,.?
if its just the internet, may be ur router is 802.11a, n u need to get a faster one..

afaik, 802.11a is incompatible with b/g routers. if he has an 802.11b router that might affect it slightly, but even a "g" router will slow to "b" speed if someone with a "b" card is online.

Mr. Monsieur
May 13, 2004, 12:40 PM
Wow...I guess I didn't realize it was such a complicated question (this is my first computer, though, so the learning curb is quite pronounced!) Apps are great...very fast...the issue is opening webpages (I lost an auction on eBay last night because it literally took over a minute to get onto the eBay site!) I haven't tried attaching the laptop directly to the broadband connection...I will try that...BTW, the router is a NetGear Cable/DSL wireless router, MR814 v2 (one of the more popular models out there, I guess, as it was bought at Best Buy). Do you think the extra RAM will help?
THANKS again!

Chip NoVaMac
May 13, 2004, 12:50 PM
You could always try to find a free wi-fi spot and see if you have good internet connection there.

question fear
May 13, 2004, 01:17 PM
Wow...I guess I didn't realize it was such a complicated question (this is my first computer, though, so the learning curb is quite pronounced!) Apps are great...very fast...the issue is opening webpages (I lost an auction on eBay last night because it literally took over a minute to get onto the eBay site!) I haven't tried attaching the laptop directly to the broadband connection...I will try that...BTW, the router is a NetGear Cable/DSL wireless router, MR814 v2 (one of the more popular models out there, I guess, as it was bought at Best Buy). Do you think the extra RAM will help?
THANKS again!

it could be your connection speed. try connecting directly to the router, skipping the hp computer in between...try going to a broadband test site to see how fast it really is (http://www.dslreports.com, for example)
it could be your ram, but if everything else is snappy that doesn't make a ton of sense. what browser are you using? (in other words, is it Internet Explorer, Safari, etc?)

let us know if anything you've tested thus far works.

-c

abhishekit
May 13, 2004, 03:32 PM
extra ram wont help in this matter, although ideally you should have atleast 512mb for running panther smoothly..so u may well go ahead and get the extra ram. if you do, get a 512 chip, coz you have only one slot, and so it would be a waste to get anything lower.
coming back to your problem, unless u get the spinning ball, when you are trying to open web pages, it has nothing to do with ram. it certainly is related to your connection setup.

cheers

michaelrjohnson
May 13, 2004, 11:56 PM
are there perchance some webproxys that you need to set up in order to increase your speed? that is my problem here on-campus, but at home it's not an issue. but the symptoms are the same. i'd check with your isp to find out about anything specific. however, dont' be surprised if they wont' give you tech support on anything regarding the router. keep us posted, who knows, maybe one of us will have an epiphany over the next few days!

(PS, welcome to computing :D)

Makyz
May 14, 2004, 12:07 PM
Major slow downs happened on my pb 12in, and the problem was Safari. It hangs up on sites i frequent like Fed Ex and a few messageboards.

I switched over to Firefox, which is way better and faster- maybe you should try it out

http://mozilla.org

Mr. Monsieur
May 24, 2004, 07:06 PM
I switched over to Firefox, which is way better and faster- maybe you should try it out

Firefox is GREAT...wish it was more elegant (I really like the blue line in Safari that shows how much more time is left!) and I wish you could close tabs with one click (as in Safari), but it is fast...and seems, generally, to open webpages more adroitly. BTW, does anyone know why Safari isn't able to open eBay properly? I only get half the images when I go in with Safari.

are there perchance some webproxys that you need to set up in order to increase your speed? that is my problem here on-campus, but at home it's not an issue. but the symptoms are the same. i'd check with your isp to find out about anything specific. however, dont' be surprised if they wont' give you tech support on anything regarding the router. keep us posted, who knows, maybe one of us will have an epiphany over the next few days!

That may have been it (could you explain what 'webproxies' are exactly?) I tried out my iBook directly through the ethernet cable/cable connection and it FLEW...I think it must have been pretty happy to finally be able to strut its stuff :D Anyway, I officially 'introduced' it to the network and now that it is back on wireless it continues to perform like a star...what a relief! I don't know what the issue was exactly (the tech support person was helpful, but didn't quite put her finger on what the issue was). Anyway...such are the mysteries of computers, I suppose? THANKS again, one and all, for all your help!

parrothead
May 24, 2004, 09:14 PM
Firefox is GREAT...wish it was more elegant (I really like the blue line in Safari that shows how much more time is left!) and I wish you could close tabs with one click (as in Safari), but it is fast...and seems, generally, to open webpages more adroitly. BTW, does anyone know why Safari isn't able to open eBay properly? I only get half the images when I go in with Safari.

My version of Safari opens eBay fine. I never have found any speed problems with it.

Mav451
May 24, 2004, 10:14 PM
..Firefox is GREAT...wish it was more elegant (I really like the blue line in Safari that shows how much more time is left!) and I wish you could close tabs with one click (as in Safari)...

Middle Click closes tabs in one click--you just need a joe shmoe, 2-button optical mouse tho...so if you don't have one (or you got a one-button) then you're outta luck.

QCassidy352
May 25, 2004, 12:34 AM
I use a rev. B 12" powerbook wirelessly with exactly the same router. I have no problems at all; internet is as fast as on the wired computers on the network.

However, my computer was also on the network with wires before I went wireless, so maybe that's why I never had your problem. Glad that it all worked out and you are enjoying your new 'book though. :)