PDA

View Full Version : Firewire port on Gen 1 iPod

ethernet76
May 12, 2004, 11:42 PM
The other day my iPod died. So when I went to plug it in nothing. No charing icon, nothing. So after checking the cable, the power brick and everything else, I crack open the iPod.

So I get the thing completely disassembled with my Torx screwdrivers and the problem becomes clear. The firewire port is held in place by 6 thing solder points. <a href="http://www.ipoding.com/images/repair/iPod_firewire_solder.jpg">See here</a>

Now I'm all apple friendly and stuff, but this is poor engineering, and this led me to conclude Apple doesn't care. After talking with some total prick at the Kenwood, Ohio apple store I've come to the conclusion they just want to sell me anything.

Example, Me: "My Gen 1 iPod is broken." Douche bag(Apple store employee):"Buy a new one." Me: "I don't want a new one, the touch buttons suck." Douche bag:"Really they're quite nice." Yeah that's not exact, but that's pretty much it.

Example two: Me: "I bought a powerbook in November and dropped it, now the screen doesn't work. How much would it cost to get it fixed?" Douche bag(same douche as before): "About one grand." Me:"Ouch." Douche:"You could get a new iBook for that much." (Sidenote: I already tried to get it fixed via Applecare, they refused sighting user damage.) Now my problem isn't that it will cost $1000 or so. It's that if you look at the $1099 iBook it is a worse computer.

Stats of $1099 iBook(X before items my powerbook is better in):
X 1GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache @ 1GHz
X 12-inch TFT Display
X 1024x768 resolution
X 256MB DDR266 SDRAM
X 30GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
X ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
X 32MB DDR video memory
X AirPort Extreme ready

There are also a few others like Firewire 800 and so on that I won't go into, but I think you get the idea. Is it just me, or is Apple becoming like Circuit City? All push and no support.

I remember the days when a sales clerk told me to go to crucial to buy ram for my performa instead of getting a custom build because it was cheaper.

/just a tad bit pissed.