Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac|Photo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
MI
Taken directly from the Apple.com site on tech specs page of PBs:
# Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 ft
# Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 ft
# Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 ft

So I might be really stupid, but I wanted to ask anyways despite the laughs because I will be traveling to Europe in a couple months, and I want to know this, so here goes.
Can I use the PB while in flight up in the air? I have never flown internationally before, so I am not positive of their cruising altitude, however I know they can get quite high...and although I realize that the cabin is pressurized...well yea, I might just be paranoid, but if you know, feel free to explain.
Secondly...shipping altitude of 35k ft, so same basic thing here if you next-day-air ship this puppy to your place, don't most planes get over 35k ft or not?

Basically a paranoia question, but please set my mind at ease :)
Thanks,
the previously sane Mac|Photo

PS: please don't be too harsh with your insults of my lack of altitudinal knowledge :p

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Yep, no problem using in an airplane--the cabin's pressurized, so your computer doesn't know it's not on the ground.

One other thing: Make sure you have the proper plug adapter for whatever countries you'll be visiting in Europe. This set looks pretty nice to me, though you can save money and buy just the specific adapters you need. Even though current is at 240 volts in Europe, you'll be fine there--the PB's power supply is designed to handle it.

I'll be in Venice, Rome, and Paris this summer, so maybe we'll bump into each other.

candan9019

macrumors regular
The pressure for most airliners at altitude is the equivalent to around 8,000ft, so no worries. Although I don't understand why shipping altitude is 35,000ft, In most cargo planes the cargo is pressurized maybe not as much but I don't think that little.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Mac|Photo said:
Taken directly from the Apple.com site on tech specs page of PBs:
# Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 ft
# Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 ft
# Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 ft

What presents the constraint? I can understand operating altitude, if the air is insufficient to cool. But for the others? (assuming there's no extreme temperature). What damage could altitude cause?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Just a guess, but low pressure could force any air in any component out or make it explode....

so, that could also include the LCD, battery and possibly some circuitry....

Also, while flying, the cabin might be pressurized, but not at sea level pressure. Its usually kept to the equivalent of 5,000 to 8,000 feet in the cabin.

D

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Plane is fine for the reasons cited by the others above.

Also, you can take it pretty high up in the mountains without any problems too. I rather foolishly used mine at 4000m (approx. 12000 feet) and had no problems whatever.

So no reason to worry - taking a laptop with you travelling is awesome, especially when it's a Powerbook. The only caveat is that you pretty much have to keep it concealed in public places and keep it close to you all the time, but you get used to that pretty quickly. I uploaded all my photos everyday, built up my music collection with European CDs that in some cases I didn't even bother to bring back with me, used it for accessing emailing and the web in places where dialup was available (and cheap or free! - so much better than 3 euros an hour at EasyInternet cafes etc) and even stored a bit of video on it. You'll have a ball, and will never forget it - in your mind's memory, or in more material memories on your PB hard drive ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.