Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacHeist and TouchArcade are co-hosting an iPhone app launch party at this year's WWDC. The event to be held tonight will provide some demos and previews of some upcoming iPhone apps and games and will be streamed live starting at around 9:30 p.m. Pacific.

Some of iPhone apps to be demoed include: Delicious Library for iPhone, Real Racing, a new Freeverse game as well as the just announced Doom Resurrection from id software and Escalation Studios. The game uses existing assets from Doom 3 but applies them to an entirely new iPhone game with brand new levels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8KoU_z9MOM

The Live stream should kick in around 9:30 p.m. and will be linked from the website.

Article Link: iPhone Launch Party: Upcoming Apps, and New Id Game for iPhone

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
^ Agreed. I would have preferred a port of Ultimate Doom and Doom II, but I guess this will do.

Did you also get Wolf 3D? I got it when it first came out and it was fantastic! Then I did an update for it and they changed the weapons.. :( id software is making me a little mad.

MDMac

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
McAllen, TX
This. looks. awesome! A question for any of you experts out there: What is it going to take to get some decent lighting in games designed for the iPod/iPhone?

Good lighting really helps to set the atmosphere for games like Doom... or any game for that matter. I wonder if the new 3Gs hardware can handle some complex lighting effects... hmm.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I wonder if Doom Resurrection will use Open GL 2.0, thereby leaving iPhone 3g users in the dark.... hmm... that would be an interesting turn of events

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Did you also get Wolf 3D? I got it when it first came out and it was fantastic! Then I did an update for it and they changed the weapons.. :( id software is making me a little mad.

Yeah, I know. There was no reason to update the weapons ... but this Doom Classic port is going to be great.

To my surprise, Christian was able to dig up the original high quality source material for the Doom sounds, so we have 22khz 16 bit sound effects instead of the 11khz 8 bit ones from the original game.

And GPU accelerated filtering, 24-bit lightning.

dgcaste

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
This. looks. awesome! A question for any of you experts out there: What is it going to take to get some decent lighting in games designed for the iPod/iPhone?

Good lighting really helps to set the atmosphere for games like Doom... or any game for that matter. I wonder if the new 3Gs hardware can handle some complex lighting effects... hmm.

The 3GS hardware falls sort of in the average PC hardware that was released in between Doom 2 and Doom 3 releases, a bit closer to the 3 than the 2. Doom 3 required 1.5 GHz CPU, 384 MB RAM, and a DirectX 9.0b compatible 64 MB video card with OpenGL 2.0 drivers.

I wonder if Doom Resurrection will use Open GL 2.0, thereby leaving iPhone 3g users in the dark.... hmm... that would be an interesting turn of events

Why would they do that? So nobody buys the game? Just to get a couple of pieces of extra eye candy in there?

All in all, one day, the iPhone will support 3.0 or something similar to those standards. The App Store will have to account for this, and future, upgrades. Like other games, there will be a need of minimum hardware requirements. They'll just be a lot simpler to follow than Vista-capable stickers and Minimum/Recommended listings.

dgcaste

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
...jesus christ

the very first post is someone whining.

And the seventh post is someone trolling. Lucky number seven!

Judging from your posting history, you like to call people whiners a lot. Does that make you feel good about yourself? You're a better and stronger man than all of us, no doubt about that!

dgcaste

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
Let's not feed the troll my friends! I'm the first to blame. Let him scurry off after his stupid ring and let him go to whichever cave he likes to dwell in.

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
Does anyone else think that in a couple years from now apple will unintentionally be competing with PSP/DS I mean these little devices are getting more and more powerful all the time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.