PDA

View Full Version : sending into apple care... what about my hard drive contents??

fr0
May 13, 2004, 03:48 PM
Hey all,

I am sending my PB G4 in to apple to finally get the white spots fixed and I am a bit concerned about my data. I have a lot of personal information and what not (school papers, family photos, auto-logins to insurance/banking,etc...) on my machine that I would like to keep that way. In addition, I may have some questionably licensed software & music around as well. So my question is will apple be poring over my files or will they simply boot up and verify the fix and move on? Should I remove anything personal as well as any software and music that I may not be fully entitled to? They asked me for my admin login, so I assume that they plan on at least logging in, what about snooping around?

Thanks,

fr0

abc123
May 13, 2004, 05:20 PM
i doubt that they have time to care what is on your computer.
we've sent computers off every-which-way for repair with questionable content on them and no one has ever raised an eyebrow, apple included. there was no questionably licensed apple software on the computer though.
if you are worried just do a back up, remove the stuff and replace it when the computer is returned. i'd always back up before sending it to apple just incase something happens along the way.

Macmaniac
May 13, 2004, 06:42 PM
Apple does have an uncanny tendency to erase your HD, this is not because of the software on it, it just seems to happen whenever something gets sent in to them. I work for an Apple Repair center and some items have to be shipped back to Apple, for some reason no matter how hard we plead with them and put big signs on the computer they erase they drive. So back up your data at all costs because there is no guarantee that it will come back.

rainman::|:|
May 13, 2004, 07:17 PM
Yes in many cases they'll simply wipe the drive to ensure they're working with good software... but I sent my iPod in, and it had some (5th amendment) on it, and they didn't say a word. i'm sure, if they used my old iPod for anything, they just flash the drive.

paul

parrothead
May 13, 2004, 09:34 PM
Apple does have an uncanny tendency to erase your HD, this is not because of the software on it, it just seems to happen whenever something gets sent in to them. I work for an Apple Repair center and some items have to be shipped back to Apple, for some reason no matter how hard we plead with them and put big signs on the computer they erase they drive. So back up your data at all costs because there is no guarantee that it will come back.

This happened to a friend of mine and he hadn't backed up. He was so mad that he went in to the Apple store that sent his ibook 900 in for him and complained. He tried calling Apple care, but apparently they were jerks. The Apple store felt bad and to make it up to him they GAVE him a new powerbook. However he still lost all his data, including irreplaceable picture taken from around the world. Definitely backup your data before you send it in.

abc123
May 13, 2004, 09:51 PM
if there is important stuff like your friend's pictures then that should be backed up anyway. you learn quickly the importance of keeping copies.

superbovine
May 14, 2004, 03:36 AM
if you are paranoid about someone looking through your hard drive, just backup to another location, and wipe it from your hard drive on your laptop. you cannot gaurantee that someone from apple won't steal your personal information, banking/insurance, information for their own gain. i highly doubt they will take the time to figure out if you software is pirated.