Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabou2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2004
[Update: I have posted a better picture on my site, if you click the picture you will also see a large close up]
---------------------------------------------
Hi all, i have an interesting piece of history. A pre-production Mac Classic in its clear plastics. Apple uses clear plastic before using production plastic. Note that it is the exact Mac Classic case, just clear. Kinda looks like a precursor to the imac.

Anyway, it appears to work perfectly, has a pre-release version of OS7 installed and something like "At Ease" taking over the desktop. I have no floppies so I really cant get beyond booting it and running Clarisworks.

I also have an old Apple keyboard and a 3rd party mouse with it. I have been told that this thing could be worth a lot of money due to its unique collectability, but I have no idea if this is true and I also have no idea how to price this for sale.

I have a small image posted to my website (I am in the process of selling a lot of my equipment off). Please take a look and give me your thoughts.

http://www.talkingboxdmg.com/sites/equipment_sale/equipmentsale.htm
When you get to my site, click on the "Computer Equipment" link.

Thanks a bunch folks.
Matt

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Good luck on the sale sincerely.

It might help to provide the history behind the model. Only 10 made? How does a buyer know? In this day an age of computer aided design, it is possible for a limited production to be made "new".

mabou2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2004
Hiya Chip,

A bit more history about this machine and how i came to own it...

I just took that picture a few days ago (I am a photographer).
I have owned the computer for about four years. I acquired the machine when I worked at Apple. My supervisor had been the previous owner and asked if I wanted to keep it. (being an avid Apple fan I jumped at the chance).

The Mac has not been used extensively even when it was new. It has not been used at all for about 6 years (except to turn it on once in a while to show my friends). There really are no significant scratches or dings, but it would benefit greatly by a good polishing. The once pristinely clear plastic has yellowed very slightly over the years as evidenced in the picture.

I have no packaging (since it was a late prototype, not a shipping machine). Remember, this is a truly unique machine. These clear-case machines are only made when a computer is "feature complete" and nearly ready to ship, and the clear-case prototypes are considered trophies for the management in the Apple community.

I have never plugged in to any of the ports in the back except for ADB so I cannot say first hand that everything works as new (SCSI, Audio port, etc) but my manager had told me that it is in perfect shape and everything works. (for what ever that is worth to you).

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
mabou2 said:
Hiya Chip,

A bit more history about this machine and how i came to own it...

I just took that picture a few days ago (I am a photographer).
I have owned the computer for about four years. I acquired the machine when I worked at Apple. My supervisor had been the previous owner and asked if I wanted to keep it. (being an avid Apple fan I jumped at the chance).

The Mac has not been used extensively even when it was new. It has not been used at all for about 6 years (except to turn it on once in a while to show my friends). There really are no significant scratches or dings, but it would benefit greatly by a good polishing. The once pristinely clear plastic has yellowed very slightly over the years as evidenced in the picture.

I have no packaging (since it was a late prototype, not a shipping machine). Remember, this is a truly unique machine. These clear-case machines are only made when a computer is "feature complete" and nearly ready to ship, and the clear-case prototypes are considered trophies for the management in the Apple community.

I have never plugged in to any of the ports in the back except for ADB so I cannot say first hand that everything works as new (SCSI, Audio port, etc) but my manager had told me that it is in perfect shape and everything works. (for what ever that is worth to you).

thanks for sharing.

too bad it is not like Leica that internal documents help back up the claims (nothing against you personally, I hope you understand).

It is nice to a bit of history....

mabou2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2004
(nothing against you personally, I hope you understand).
A healthy dose of skepticism is good. I wish there were some kind of documentation too, but again, since this was not a shipping machine, not gonna happen. The machine sells itself when you see it in person. This is the real deal and someone will be able to see this for what it's worth.

What did you mean by
In this day an age of computer aided design, it is possible for a limited production to be made "new".

Sounds a bit too skeptical if I get what you are saying.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.
Matt
http://www.talkingboxdmg.com

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
mabou2 said:
A healthy dose of skepticism is good. I wish there were some kind of documentation too, but again, since this was not a shipping machine, not gonna happen. The machine sells itself when you see it in person. This is the real deal and someone will be able to see this for what it's worth.

What did you mean by

Sounds a bit too skeptical if I get what you are saying.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.
Matt
http://www.talkingboxdmg.com

Sorry i meant no offense. It is that with computer aided design and other advanced manufacturing processes from what I have been told it is easier for others to duplicate a design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.