Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PixelGlitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2004
Los Angeles
Been using my Powerbook without the batter installed, just running off AC for the past few days. My hope is that keeping the battery out of the laptop and not having it go through charge cycles will help maintain its capacity for when I need to go portable.

Any thoughts? The only thing I noticed is that if I power the laptop off and unplug the AC, without the battery installed, it seems to mess up the clock time. As long as it's plugged though, the clock stays accurate. I'm considering getting a UPS just in case the power goes out or someone accidently unplugs it.

In fact, now that I think about it, I recall the Powerbooks/ibooks at Fry's all had the battery removed, probably to prevent theft.

Will this even help my battery's charge capacity, or is this a futile effort?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice. :)

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I would have to say it's a futile effort. Just keep it plugged in to the AC w/ the battery in.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
ehhh probably not worth the inconvience
lithium ion batteries also rapidly lose their capacity when they are stored at either a full charge or dead (electrolyte deregation) if you're going to store the battery for long periods partially discharge it before

PixelGlitch said:
Been using my Powerbook without the batter installed, just running off AC for the past few days. My hope is that keeping the battery out of the laptop and not having it go through charge cycles will help maintain its capacity for when I need to go portable.

Any thoughts? The only thing I noticed is that if I power the laptop off and unplug the AC, without the battery installed, it seems to mess up the clock time. As long as it's plugged though, the clock stays accurate. I'm considering getting a UPS just in case the power goes out or someone accidently unplugs it.

In fact, now that I think about it, I recall the Powerbooks/ibooks at Fry's all had the battery removed, probably to prevent theft.

Will this even help my battery's charge capacity, or is this a futile effort?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice. :)

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
I read some interesting stuff on batteries, but unfortunately cannot find it to post. Batteries in the laps, ipod, etc, need to be calibrated. They do not have memory as I recall. The will become weak from heat and recharge cycles. The battery in your lap has a smart chip or something to that effect. It charges only when in needs to.

As what I read heat kills these batteries, and promotes degradation. All lilon batteries are prone to this. Cool ambient temps is ideal-

So avoid charging in heat and exposure to heat.

I actually keep my battery out of my PB when in the home office because it does get warm, and due to the use it gets my fan is on fairly frequently so I have the battery in a cooler environment.... Just something I do. The ipods have a cycle of 400 charges @. External battery packs and avoid charging them in hot environments like a hot car etc....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.