PDA

View Full Version : spyMac WebHosting HELP!!

stoid
May 13, 2004, 05:10 PM
I signed up for the 100MB web hosting thing with spyMac, and posted a video I did for the high school I attended last year. The video contained copyrighted music in the background and now that word has gotten back to the IT director at the high-school and I have been issued a notice to remove the video from the web. Unfortunately, I can't seem to log in to the server to remove the file!! I know that my password is right because it lets me log in to the spyMac homepage. I would ask this question over at the spyMac Forums, but there are some real jerks over there that I'm certain would post crap like, "yur a moron, typ the ****** pswrd correctly n00b!"

Any other spyMac members here? can you log in to your webspace??

Thanks for the help!

varmit
May 13, 2004, 07:37 PM
did you download it from iTunes, because you are allowed to use it in the home movies you make without needing to pay licensing fees to use it. Only large movie companies need to license the music from the artist because people are going to see that in theatres, and money is being made off their work by adding it to the movie. Yours is just a class project, nothing wrong with that. That is why they add the ability to use the music you buy in iMovie.

The IT director of your school has no athority here. The file is not on his server, so he can't tell you to delete it anyways. If you want to know if you have crossed the line, contact a spymac admin. Ask him if he thinks if you have broken any laws, and if he does think you are walking a fine line, tell the admin he has your athority to delete the file. The spymac admin would be in more trouble than your IT guy.

And let the IT guy know that you are allowed to use music in movie files like this. Its when you use it to make a movie that you are trying to make millions of dollors with is when you have broken the law.

Suggestion, if you got the song for free, look for it on iTunes, if you find it, just buy it any you should be in the clear.

stoid
May 13, 2004, 09:10 PM
The video is a senior class memories video, with the music all legitimately purchased. I'm not going to try and debate the legality of the issue. I've been up one road and down the other fighting for this because I know I'm right. If it weren't for the fact that the I work for the IT director over the summer and my dad sides with him, and is presently providing my summer room and board that I am obligated to abide by their decisions.

I just want to know if I'm the only one having problems logging on.