PDA

View Full Version : Can I put additonal cooling fans in my emac?

dreamercgl
Jun 10, 2009, 10:01 PM
;)

Hi, new here. I have a 2006 emac that I bought that was upgraded to 2 gig of memory, large processor speed and large hard drive. The problem is after about 8 hrs it get hotter then hell. I keep pulling my curtains away from it cause I hope it doesn't catch them on fire.LOL

What kind of cooling system can I have a friend of mine put into this to keep it cool? If I lost this machine , I would be devastated. I can build pc's , but just got this emac about 5 mths ago and i am still learning, sometimes I get frustrated, but I was like that with my first pc, years ago too.

I was wondering too; and I know this is going to sound stupid, but there are somethings I do like about PC's as far as downloading images and things. So I plan to use my pc now like a external drive just for photos , and silly things.

Anyway, here is the silly question (yes I"m a girl). I love the way that the emac looks too. I love the fact it's all in one. I was wondering if I could put PC guts into a empty emac or vintage imac, the one with the translucent colors and run it ok?

Maybe silly questions to you, but I love the look of these things, since I got these I no longer , ever want a tower again.

CubeHacker
Jun 11, 2009, 05:20 PM
Thats very odd because the eMac was discontinued in 2005, so i'm not sure how you can have a 2006 eMac.

Either way, I had one for a while and mines ran very cool. As a matter of fact, I actually SLOWED the fans down because they were making too much noise, and the eMac was still very cool running.

I'm not sure what you mean by you up upgraded the processor in the eMac since the CPU is non-upgradeable.

One thing that I can recommend is to place the eMac face down on a soft object (like a towel on your desk to protect the screen), and then use a vacuum to suck the dust from around the grills at the rear of the unit. If these are clogged with dust it will prevent airflow. Do NOT use compressed air as it will just blow the dust deeper inside and create more problems.

dreamercgl
Jun 14, 2009, 05:37 PM
Sorry , but you are wrong. The last Emacs made were in April 2006. No offense. My emac was upgraded by a guy user name "macgeniusdue" in California who had done nothing for the last 20 years but upgrade Emac and mac in general.

All Emac run hot, they just do. If your doesn't I would be worrying if I was getting a fast enough speed. Anyway this guy upgraded mine with airport card, tons of applications, 2gig of memory (don't even tell me it can't do this cause it can) and yes, it has a faster processor speed. My emac is brings up my webpage within 2 -3 seconds. It is actually faster then my cousins G5.

this guy is great at what he does. I did google the heat on emacs and they do indeed have a history of running hot, always have. But i run mine for about 10 hrs a day.

Satori
Jun 14, 2009, 06:12 PM
;)

Hi, new here. I have a 2006 emac that I bought that was upgraded to 2 gig of memory, large processor speed and large hard drive. The problem is after about 8 hrs it get hotter then hell. I keep pulling my curtains away from it cause I hope it doesn't catch them on fire.LOL

What kind of cooling system can I have a friend of mine put into this to keep it cool? If I lost this machine , I would be devastated. I can build pc's , but just got this emac about 5 mths ago and i am still learning, sometimes I get frustrated, but I was like that with my first pc, years ago too.

Welcome!

The guts of an emac are pretty crammed and designed around the shape to the case, so I doubt you would be able to alter the cooling system. The RAM and airport card are fairly easy to get at but the rest is pretty tricky to take apart much less modify. I would suggest you consider one on the cooling pads that are designed for laptops.

Here's an example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Link-CRYSTAL-Cooler-Laptop-notebook/dp/B001AIGTHO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245019634&sr=8-3

dreamercgl
Jun 14, 2009, 06:48 PM
Actually , they discontinued emacs in July 5th 2006, but the last one built was in April 2006. But thank you for your information. It is appreciated.;)

CubeHacker
Jun 15, 2009, 07:10 PM
Could you tell us what the processor was upgraded to? What was the original speed, and what was the new speed? Perhaps it was overclocked?

crackbookpro
Jun 15, 2009, 11:31 PM
anymore specs on the eMac? ...used some in College, so I have some remembrance :confused:

CrackBookPro:cool:

hector
Jun 17, 2009, 10:21 AM
This is strange, I had an 1.25 eMac at uni that I left on all day everyday (sleep at night), for pretty much 2 years straight. Most reliable computer ever, never froze and certainly never 'ran hot' as in your experience.

I agree with cubehacker, the first thing to do is make sure your grills aren't clogged, sounds silly but that might fix it.