Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnryjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
I bought a UMB this past November and love it except I fell victim to the poor screen quality. I am very impressed with the new notebook lineup. It seems like they are now what they should have been in the first place. I am attempting to sell it and purchase a new MBP. I think I will go with the 15" since the larger screen is more affordable and would be worth it to me.

Now, if I get the new machine, what is the best way to transfer my files such as iTunes and iPhoto libraries, etc? I use Time Machine. I don't want to simply transfer all of my files and settings... I want to be somewhat selective as in I don't want older clutter on my new machine. So do I just plug my external hard drive with my time machine backup and I can pick what I want or do I just drag what I want saved to my external HD and drag them onto the new machine.

Thank You

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Yup, you can manually pull your stuff off the Time Machine hard disk by treating it just like another external drive.

Alternatively you could try like this guy and get your screen replaced perhaps?

johnryjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Great! thank you!

I'm gonna see what I can get for it first... I have a few people watching it on ebay and already got some replies on craigs list so i'll see what happens.

Thanks again for your speedy response!

John

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Use Migration Assistant. Applications>Utilities>Migration Assistant

From there you will be able to completely transfer over your entire system that you have from your older macbook. I just did it.

Or Time Machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.