PDA

View Full Version : iPod Freezes Up

simX
May 13, 2004, 07:22 PM
I figured I'd make a post here on the forums since Apple is not going to help me with my problem any further. I have an original 5 GB iPod, and when trying to turn it on, it only gets to the Apple logo screen and no farther.

I've tried resetting it by holding down the menu and pause/play buttons for 5 seconds, which does reset it, but my iPod still doesn't get past the Apple logo screen. I even tried letting the battery discharge for 48 hours, and then connecting it again to my Mac, but to no avail. If I try to start it up when it's not connected to the computer, it simply gives me an insufficient battery power icon, and nothing else.

I'm suspecting that maybe the battery is dead, but I can't be sure. Has anyone had any similar problems, and do you think it would be worth it to get an iPod battery kit to see? Any other tests/procedures I can perform on my iPod that might revive it? I'm desperate here, because I *REALLY* don't want to spend another $300 on an iPod.

If replacing the battery would be useful, any recommendations where I can get a kit that will allow me to replace the battery myself? I want to pay the least amount of money, and I don't mind dissecting my iPod myself (not simply because of curiosity, but also because I have nothing to lose since Apple won't do anything besides replace it or replace the battery themselves).

I'd appreciate any suggestions whatsoever.