PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this?

MacManiac1224
Dec 7, 2001, 07:03 PM
I have been thinking about MWSF, and I think this is what is going down at MWSF:
New iMac's, I am not sure what speeds or confiugrations, but I am pretty sure they are coming out.
Also I think we will see a 19 inch Flat Screen Display whihc will close the gap between the 17 and 22.
Next I think we will see lower prices on Power Mac G4's with the addition of the Apollo based G4. The low end might go down to $1,499. I also think that G5's will also debut at this time, but only in the high end machines. These are the congiurations that I predict for the Power Mac line:
-------------------
G4: 867mhz - $1,499
G4: 950mhz - $1,999
G4: 1ghz - $2,499
DP G4: 1ghz - $3,999
G5: 1.2ghz - $2,999
G5: 1.4ghz - $3,499
--------------------
Also we might see OS X 10.1.2 and AppleScript Studio.
I also think that the G5 will not be able to take advantage of a 64-bit mode until OS X 10.2.
---------------------
What do you guys think?

MattB
Dec 7, 2001, 07:25 PM
You won't see G5s until July. MWSF is only going to bump G4 speeds and perhaps intro the new iMac or just give more speed bumps to the iMac line.

mnkeybsness
Dec 7, 2001, 08:24 PM
matt may be right about the G5 in july, but i can't wait that long...i want it now!

but besides that-the price points sound pretty reasonable, except i would have put the DP G4 at $3499

Obsidian
Dec 7, 2001, 08:24 PM
At whichpoint do we start believing in rumors?

For the last few months, rumors of the G5 have been showing up once every few days, and, so far have been promising. Until the rumors of the new LCD iMac, I was sure that there would be a release of the G5 at MWSF. But now, it seems unlikley that they would debut both at the same time.

I was also skepicle of the gen2 iMac at first, but over the last week, there has been new rumor conformation almost every day-all seeimg to surround and back each other up. I am confident that the PMG5 will debut in Q1 2002, but weather or not it does at MWSF is unknown.

Since I started thinking about MWSF, I did not think it likley, but I thought it a possibility that apple might have the idea of totally overhauling its lineup (not including the laptops).

On top of that, apple should have a door-prize for MW expo's so people could win one of apples new products
:)

MacManiac1224
Dec 7, 2001, 08:40 PM
Why don't you guys think the G5 will debut at MWSF? I think it will come out, but only be in high end machines with no change in the enclosure.

I guess we really don't know what is going at Apple, but they do have a tendency to deliver suprises.

oldMac
Dec 7, 2001, 09:15 PM
No way that Apple would introduce that many models of the same machine. That's too many configurations.

Heck, they might as well call them "Performas". Do you all remember that nightmare? "Now what's the difference between the 5500 and the 4450? And what's the difference between the Quadra 610 and the Centris 610?" Granted, it's a bit different since these would be designated by processor speed, but it would still be an inventory nightmare.

Look for three processor speeds plus a dualie. Maybe only two speeds + a dualie if they introduce the new iMac and sell a sans monitor version to fit the middle spot of the lineup.

I would love for them to add a quad-processor machine to the lineup. You would think that G4s were well enough in supply to do that by now.

If the new iMac really is coming in January, I think we'll only see speed bumps of the G4 line until a new line can be introduced later in the spring or early summer.

This only makes sense because it coincides with the apparent G5 schedule from Motorola. That is... unless Apple really decides to put the G5 name on the G4 Apollo.

It's been a bit of a wait, but boy is that machine going to be a big step up.

Obsidian
Dec 7, 2001, 10:19 PM
I find it quite funny that virtually everyone is snubbing the rumors. Yet now, that another rumor comes out and says that the Apollo will be the G5, and everyone believes that to be the truth... This has not been confirmed, and we should not believe it until its official!

oh, and HEY. Until last february, I had a PIECE Performa 6320! It was such a piece of garbage- the processor ran at an average speed of 90mhz and slower, despite its 120mhz clock speed! Not to mention its non upgradability with no pci slots and no vram or video card and the 2 32mb 72simm slots that were as slow as they were annoying to install.

And whose the person complaing about his iMac DV 400?? I'd gladly trade places with you! I only have a 180mhz PM 8500.
(I like tha fact that I can buy a 500MHz sonnet PCI uprgrad for $500 US, and that it has 8ram slots that can have 128mb dimms, its 4mb vram, and its upgradable cache.. oh yeah and my oh so annoying vibratron 10000rpm 2gb hd[seagate barracuda])

heh... :)

Obsidian
Dec 7, 2001, 10:21 PM
AND- Performas are oxy morons!!!

Falleron
Dec 8, 2001, 06:03 AM
I think we could get:

G4 867Mhz
G4 1Ghz
G5 1.2Ghz / 1Ghz

+ a G4 DP at 1Ghz

Ensign Paris
Dec 8, 2001, 07:53 AM
Would it make sence to have a G3 iMac (Lowend) G4 Cube (MedEnd) and G4 Powermac?

Guy

MacManiac1224
Dec 8, 2001, 09:07 AM
Does anybody know what is going on with http://www.macosrumors.com?

Falleron
Dec 8, 2001, 10:03 AM
I cant see the cube returning in its original form. The only way it will make a come back is if the design ideas are used in the new iMac.