Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrob44

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
I've got a Mac Mini hooked up to my 42inch 1080i plasma TV via DVI->HDMI cable. I'm well aware of the resolution issues with this setup, and needing to use switchresx and such to tweak the resolution to fix the display appearance.

My question is would I have the same problem using DVI-> Component cable? Most all the posts i've read about are using DVI->HDMI. Was just wondering it the DVI->Component would work better, and/or automatically display the correct resolution?

Anybody tried this? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Does your TV have VGA or DVI input? I would use that instead of HDMI, because some people say that HDMI provides worst picture and is most expensive. DVI and VGA will both have the same resolution as HDMI

mrob44

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Does your TV have VGA or DVI input? I would use that instead of HDMI, because some people say that HDMI provides worst picture and is most expensive. DVI and VGA will both have the same resolution as HDMI

No, I dont have VGA or DVI on my TV. Thats why I went with the HDMI to start with and why I am asking about the DVI-Component.

Thanks for the response.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
The more info you post, the better advice you can get.

What brand TV and what model number?

Many HDTVs don't have any issues while some can and some can't be solved.

Since you haven't even told us about your setup, I'm not going to write a paragraph for each brand of HDTV. Mini-DVI to HDMI works well on many HDTVs.

I'm not being rude, just if you want help try 2 things:
1. Forum Search
2. Give a very detailed description of your setup and your particular issues. That way we can help you!

mrob44

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
The more info you post, the better advice you can get.

What brand TV and what model number?

Many HDTVs don't have any issues while some can and some can't be solved.

Since you haven't even told us about your setup, I'm not going to write a paragraph for each brand of HDTV. Mini-DVI to HDMI works well on many HDTVs.

I'm not being rude, just if you want help try 2 things:
1. Forum Search
2. Give a very detailed description of your setup and your particular issues. That way we can help you!

Thanks for the response.

My setup is the following:

My tv: Philips 42PF9631D 42-Inch Plasma HDTV with Ambilight

Mac mini: 1.83 Core2Duo, 2Gb RAM, 10.5 (Leopard)

Connection: Monster DVI-HDMI cable

The best option for resolution I can manage currently is 1920-1080 (interlaced) @60Hz with overscan ON, producing an image where the bottom bit of the dock is cut off, as well as my menu bar.

I've downloaded Switchresx, but am not positive about the configuration as of yet. It may work, but seems a bit complicated.

I've answered my own question after posting this about the DVI - Component cable, as the Mac Mini more than likely doesnt output the "sync-on-green" needed for the component output.

If anybody has any thoughts, help, ideas, theorys, or just comments (not to mention maybe a switchresx tutorial for this setup :) ) It is much appreciated.

Thanks again.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Google

Google is your friend

From the Phillips site, did you try it this way

On the PC : connect the monitor and select a valid PC-format the TV can handle (640x480@60Hz ; 800x600@60Hz or 1024x768@60Hz) or the video formats 720p and 1080i.

Switch the PC off.
Connect the DVI connection of the PC with a DVI-HDMI cable to the HDMI connection of the TV. Alternatively use a DVI-DVI cable and a DVI-HDMI adaptor.
Switch the TV on.
Press the AV button and select the correct HDMI external source input (1,2).
Press menu button and select source type PC.
Set the Picture Format to AutoFormat.
Switch the PC on.
Depending on the graphical card, operating system, configuration, ... the TV shows the PC-screen.....

OR this one

Connect to HDMI if the PC has a DVI or an HDMI-connection.
On the PC : select a valid PC-format the TV can handle (640x480@60Hz ; 800x600@60Hz or 1024x768@60Hz) and the video formats ( 720p 1080i).
Switch the PC off.
Connect the DVI or the HDMI connection of the PC to the HDMI connection of the TV with a DVI to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI connection cable.
Switch the TV on.
Press the AV button on the remote control of the TV and select the correct HDMI external source input.
Press MENU/BROWSER button. The main menu appears.
Select TV MENU and press cursor right. The TV menu appears on screen.
Select INSTALLATION and press cursor right. The installation menu is moved to the left.
Select CONNECTIONS and press cursor right. The conn ections menu is moved to the left.
Select the connection to which the PC is connected and press cursor right. Select source type PC.
Press MENU/BROWSER button to exit the menu.
Press OPTION button on the remote control of the TV. The quick access menu appears.
Select PICTURE FORMAT and press cursor right.
Select AUTOFORMAT.
Press OPTION button to exit the menu.
Switch the PC on.
Depending on the graphical card, operating system, configuration, ... the TV shows the PC-screen.

HERE's the link

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/...42PF9631D/10&scy=&slg=ENG&searchtxt=42PF9631#

Hope this helps

mrob44

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks SpacePower7, I'll give this is a shot.

Much appreciated.

mrob44

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
The directions from Phillips seem a bit generic. They are instructing me to go and set options in my menu that simply arent there.... Very frustrating.

I think i'm gonna try DVI-RGB HV and see if I get better results.

Cuda

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
What display mode are in getting in System Preferences->Displays?

Is it showing as a TV, CheckBox for overscan and Best for video?

DVI to HDMI should work BEST, however sometimes you run into EDID trouble.

EDID is what the display is telling the Mac about itself, what modes it supports, and how to "setup" the video card for those modes.

Also, from what I read the Philips 42PF9631D has a native resolution of 1,024x768, as do most 42-inch plasmas.

1024x768 is going to give you best picture with the Desktop of you Mac, also I'd look at 1280x720 (720p).

Everything you see on your Philips is going to be 1024x768 scaled by the TV, if the TV does not do a good job of scaling, nothing you do is going to matter.

If it's just a Bad EDID there are many ways to fix it, most of them easy, but you will need to do your homework.

Durandal549

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
The directions from Phillips seem a bit generic. They are instructing me to go and set options in my menu that simply arent there.... Very frustrating.

I think i'm gonna try DVI-RGB HV and see if I get better results.

I don't think that is going to work. I love RGBHV but the TV model does not have RGBHV input. It does have component YPbPr but those signal types are not the same.

I think the post above by Cuda is probably your best bet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.