PDA

View Full Version : Question about shifting library from PC to Mac: The best way?

Bailey Bob
Jun 11, 2009, 08:52 AM
I currently own a crappy laptop running XP which has 10gb of music in the iTunes library, not purchased from iTunes, and 1.5gb of apps which are purchased.

I'm soon going to free myself from this hell of a laptop by buying an iMac in July, so what's the best way to get my music moved? I have no access to FireWire, an external hard drive, and a CD burner is completely out of the question (The laptop is really that bad); The only way I can see of shifting them is through my 16gb iPhone 3G. I have no problem with syncing my collection of music and apps to it, but is it possible to sync them back to the Mac without losing my music and apps? I'm not bothered about XML data, just the goods will do.

jxn
Jun 11, 2009, 09:58 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the iPhone will only sync with one computer, so if you sync it to your brand new iMac, the music will only be deleted because your iTunes library is new and empty.

I wrote an article about how to migrate your iTunes library from Windows over to Mac. I think the only transport option for you is through network file sharing or a thumbdrive.

The article is here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/macnifying-os-x-migrating-itunes-and-wmas-from-windows/

Good luck.

Bailey Bob
Jun 11, 2009, 11:30 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the iPhone will only sync with one computer, so if you sync it to your brand new iMac, the music will only be deleted because your iTunes library is new and empty.

I wrote an article about how to migrate your iTunes library from Windows over to Mac. I think the only transport option for you is through network file sharing or a thumbdrive.

The article is here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/macnifying-os-x-migrating-itunes-and-wmas-from-windows/

Good luck.

Cheers man, that tutorial seems better than the other one's I saw. It's going to take a while, I only have a 2gb thumbdrive =/, but I guess hard work pays off.