Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
MN
Hey

This evening, i tripped over the power cord of my 12 powerbook and it fell about 6 inches. The case around the battery it completely bent... The computer starts up, like i can hear the fan but the screen is completely black. Any suggestions before i bring it too apple? :(

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
they will charge you if ur courageous enough u could try some surgery but other then that pay up

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
if you can try to bend the metal back so that when apple looks at it they won't suspect that it fell

and obviously don't tell them that it fell

idude said:
Hey

This evening, i tripped over the power cord of my 12 powerbook and it fell about 6 inches. The case around the battery it completely bent... The computer starts up, like i can hear the fan but the screen is completely black. Any suggestions before i bring it too apple? :(

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
thehuncamunca said:
if you can try to bend the metal back so that when apple looks at it they won't suspect that it fell

and obviously don't tell them that it fell

Sounds like a good plan.

Attachments

• iamwithstupid.gif
    iamwithstupid.gif
    647 bytes · Views: 1,163

Other.au

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2004
Sydney Aus
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me.

You should see if the damage inside appears superficial, in which case the problem is likely to be your harddrive.
The only thing that happened to my comp was that the case needed to be replaced as the monitor would fall off soon unless fixed - the components inside were fine.

I managed to get it fixed for 300 AUS with a completly new case including installation fees. A bargain if i do say so myself. I dont think u will be so lucky tho.

I suggest you look at ebay and go to local apple stores to see if you can get an old slightly scratched case and thatll save you about 1000 dollars (aus).

Good luck.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
idude said:
it fell about 6 inches.(

that should be covered by apple seeing as it only fell 6 inches ive droped my mates Tibook 3 foot with no damage

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
does anybody know if there is a distance that apple warrants the laptops to handle without damage? there should be one, i think, and most consumer electronics are said (by manufacturer) to be ok oif they dropped from "regular table height" or lower. cell phones should take even more abuse, since they usually drop from almost two meters, and at least nokia warrants this. (not the display, naturally. everything else.)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Hector said:
that should be covered by apple seeing as it only fell 6 inches ive droped my mates Tibook 3 foot with no damage

why should Apple cover a product for people that drop it or damage it??

applejack

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2004
Re: powerbook

iGAV said:
why should Apple cover a product for people that drop it or damage it??

Well, because the product should handle "normal use" and continue to function. For a portable computer, normal use is going to include the occasional drop of some reasonable distance. (If we were talking about a desktop that fell off the edge of the desk, I wouldn't call that normal use).

However, the fact that this one fell far enough to dent the casing makes me think it's going to be tough to get covered..

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
6 inches (15cm?) should be within "normal use", in my opinion. it's scary if powerbooks really bend if they drop this little... they just can't be so fragile!

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
And how the hell is Apple supposed to know the height from which you drop your PB?There is no way to control it so its pointless.

As a matter of fact, PB are very resistant and I cant understand how a drop of 15cm could manage to bend something unless it fall on a very hard and sharp surface...

There was a guy here a few months ago who told us about his PB droping from the stairs. The computer was fine, except for a few scratch on the case. So PB ARE resistant...

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
JFreak said:
6 inches (15cm?) should be within "normal use", in my opinion. it's scary if powerbooks really bend if they drop this little... they just can't be so fragile!

it's an accident. apple covers defects.

the fact a computer may not handle a fall of any height is not a defect. laptop manufacturers shouldn't be held to make laptops to handle falls. it's not a "normal" use because it's not part of intended functions of laptops. just because it happens doesn't make it "normal" use.

if such was the case, should small form factor cell phones carry "warranty" against losses? because smaller phones get lost more often than bigger ones? no, it's your fault if you lose it. cell phone was not made to be lost, even though because it's so small, it does get lost.

this is why you insure things. apple offers warranties, not an insurance.

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
jxyama said:

the fact a computer may not handle a fall of any height is not a defect. laptop manufacturers shouldn't be held to make laptops to handle falls. it's not a "normal" use because it's not part of intended functions of laptops. just because it happens doesn't make it "normal" use.

if such was the case, should small form factor cell phones carry "warranty" against losses? because smaller phones get lost more often than bigger ones? no, it's your fault if you lose it. cell phone was not made to be lost, even though because it's so small, it does get lost.

Exactly. Apple should not be held responsible for covering accidents. However, while on the topic of insurance. You may want to look into your home owner's/renter's insurance because there is usually an extra add-on you can get to cover things like this. I know that I have my renter's insurance configured in such a way that even if I spill coffee on my computer they will give me the cash to buy a new one. Might be worth looking into.

- reaper

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Its for situations like this that I got myself $2000 of computer insurance. Only cost me $64 for a year of coverage with no deductable. Covers theft, fire, accidental damage, environmental hazards, all sorts of stuff.

http://www.safeware.com

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
Compared to a powerbook that got damage when it fell 6 inches, my friend's ibook seems a lot luckier. It feel 14 feet (over 4 meters) and it kept working.
The wooden floor got a hole where the ibook hit it.

I'm hope it's something easy to fix thought .. take care

iBook

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
On a tugboat
Celeron said:
Its for situations like this that I got myself $2000 of computer insurance. Only cost me $64 for a year of coverage with no deductable. Covers theft, fire, accidental damage, environmental hazards, all sorts of stuff.

http://www.safeware.com

Thanks for the link. Have you or do you know of anyone who has filed a claim that was actually paid?

After having dropped my PowerBook a few years back, I asked my Allstate agent about computer insurance when I bought my new iBook a few months back.

He said he could not offer me a policy for accidental damage. Apparently the stats show that whenever someone wants a new computer, the likelihood of "accidental damage" increases. :rolleyes:

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I just got my Powerbook at the end of March, so I haven't had any problems with it. And I hope I never do. If you do a search on the forum for Safeware I think there's a few people who have dealt with them.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Powerbook insurance

If you have a laptop, it should be insured, period.

The first thing I did when I received my 17 inch powerbook was to take out a $3000 plan on it. The prices are very reasonable. :)

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Giaguara said:
Compared to a powerbook that got damage when it fell 6 inches, my friend's ibook seems a lot luckier. It feel 14 feet (over 4 meters) and it kept working.

Ya, the ibooks can take the abuse. I know a guy at school who dumped his ibook 12 off of the top of his SUV. It survived fined. I think, though, that was the last time that he forget his computer on the roof before driving away . . .lol. You don't get that lucky every time.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
jxyama said:

spot on.... ;) saves me having to explain. heheh :p

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you wanted a machine that would handle a bit more abuse, you should have gotten the iBook G4.

While the PowerBook 12 has a better looking case and is lighter, it's case is also less resistant to abuse. The Aluminum will bend, ding, crack and tear far more easily than the plastic in the iBooks.

But like the iBook the PowerBook 12 has a repairable LCD screen, this means quite a bit when somebody sits on the machine (or falls off their lap) and cracks the screen.

Much less expensive to replace the LCD display than the entire LCD assembly like they have to in the PB15/17.

---

It's unfortunate that the damage will be a significant portion of the cost of the machine right now, depending on which repair tier it falls into.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
don't you mean to say that your car got broken into and your powerbook stolen? And now you have to go through insurance and get your computer fixed???

KIDDING :D

idude said:
Hey

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
eek...

My older brother sat on my 12'' PowerBook when i put it down on a chair for a second. He sat on it when the PowerBook was sideways, I thought the screen was cracked for sure. Turns out it was just fine! The battery is a tad lose but it doesn't effect performance. :)

Good ol' PowerBook ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.