Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RexDog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2004
So Cal
My ibook is completely dead - it won't even boot up! I get the happy startup chime but black screen and no whir of any drives.
I contacted Apple and they have linked it to a problem with the logic board in iBook models built between May 02 - Oct 03. They will replace it for free but one main problem... I can't back up anything off the hard drive before I send it in. This repair must be done at the Apple Repair Center and Apple won't do any backups of drives for this repair.
So this is what I was planning on doing. Since my drive needs to be pulled out anyway even to plug it in to my desktop to backup, I was thinking of getting a bigger drive to swap it out. I've read posts on putting in a IBM/Hitachi Travelstar 60GB ATA-6 2.5in 7200RPM HD and all the time it takes to do so. The time and install seems very possible for my technical abilities.
I was just wondering once I remove the drive from the iBook, what does it take to attach it to my G4 mirror-door desktop? I also think I should initialize the new 60GB drive before I put it in the iBook and before I send it to Apple for the repairs.
Has anyone else had this component failure problem?
What would be the best way to go about handling this major problem?
Is there any problems with the 60GB drive fitting in the 2002 iBook?
Again, ibook is completely dead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Ever seen the movie The Princess Bride? Well, your iBook may be mostly dead, not completely dead...

Grab a Firewire cable, your PowerMac G4, and perform TDM. You might get something to show up on the screen while performing TDM anyways.

Note: If you get the Firewire icon to appear on your iBook, but the Firewire hard drive icon doesn't show up on your Powermac, try restarting your Powermac and repeat TDM.

EDIT: What manca (below post) describes is how to erase your iBook's hard drive through TDM. I recommend first getting TDM up and working so you can access your iBook's hard drive from your PowerMac, and then transfer all the data you need from your iBook's hard drive over to your PowerMac. Then, if you need to, follow his words on reinstalling.

manca

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2004
iBook jonz

Man, you have no idea the extent of this saga with my iBook G4. Won't even get into it too much - in short: bought it in November 2003, was replaced in December for Logic Board failure, in April the combo drive failed on the replacement machine, then the logic board was replaced TWICE in succession , the hard drive was replaced as a result.

Oioioioi.

Anyway - I know how to shuttle data back and forth.

The things you can do depend on the extent of data damage on your drive. If your Logic Board was going going gone for a long time, which OS X has a great way of masking, you might have to reinstall once you get a healthy computer.

Here's what I would do:
Try to Target disk your iBook (restert holding the T key until you see a FireWire icon on the screen). It is best to plug your iBook in for this.

Then, free up a partition on an external drive or someplace the same size as your iBook drive. Be aware you must erase the entire disk (destination) if you resize or rearrange partitions.

Then hook your iBook to another mac via FW, open Disk Utility and "Restore" the contents of the iBook drive onto the free partition. (Click one of the drives on the left and choose "restore" from the tabs. Drag the source and the destination drive or partition volume and hit "Restore.") This takes a while, but it restores ALL the data from your drive. It is possible that some of that data is corrupted, because a bad logic board affects prettty much everything that happens, but you can have a dream that it didn't mess up your data too bad.

In any case, you will have complete clone of the internal drive and you can use it to boot from and see if it works fine, if not, you can only copy the data you need from it onto a clean install of your system and apps.

I am currently, and have been for a month, working off a clone I made before my iBook went dead on April 14th.

Please contact me if you need more info on this - I have done so many reinstalls that I know where things relevant to getting back up and running are. So let me know.

If your computer won't target disk, which would suck, I think Disk Savers are your best bet. Depending on the money or time you are willing to invest, and much of both is inevitable, you could try to have it rescued by them or try connecting the drive somewhere else. I would just swallow it and take it somewhere. And be thorough with my backups in the future - that way you never have this issue again.

For backing up I use an external LaCie D2 where I make a daily clone of the iBook's internal drive with Retrospect (backup utility). This way, whenever my iBook craps out I can immediately boot from the clone and life goes on.

Unfortunately my iBook saga has brought me to this state of affairs.

BTW - I wouldn't invest any money in an old iBook. The new ones are affordable enough. I am saying this because if you are talking about putting a new drive into your current iBook, you will spend way more money than you should on a machine that probably has no warranty and will cost proportionally more to repair in any instance than it would to replace. Besides, if it's a logic board problem, your drive could be OK. Your data needs to be transferred for safety, but your drive may remain the same.

Let me know if I can be helpful to you in any way

iBook Jonz Veteran

Manca

sethwerkheiser

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
When our iBook died we took it to the Apple Store and they backed up some important info for us. My wife explained how she had finals the next week (this was a saturday night) so the Mac Genius guy found the files with his PowerBook and burned them to a CD for us.
That's my suggestion - "can't someone else do it?"
haha... sorry, bad simpsons quote. :D

We dropped our iBook off on Saturday night and had it the next Friday. Good luck with yours.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
When I took my iBook in with a bad logic board they offered to back up the hard drive for $50. I declined. Luckily I had backups because they also replaced the hard drive.

Do you have any warranty remaining on the iBook? Opening it and replacing the hard drive will void any warranty you have.

Personally, I'd wait until the computer comes back from Apple before changing anything.

I agree about target disk mode. Give that a try. Otherwise you'd need to buy an enclosure.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
target disk mode did not work on mine but the data was still there when i got it back it's just a disclaimer incase they screw up

RexDog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2004
So Cal
I tried to start the iBook in TDM to no avail. I thought I heard it laugh at me. Not a complete backup, but I do have some of the drive backed up from before this happened. The wife has been using it for some of her work and I never set up a backup schedule. I have no idea what new stuff is on there. If it would only start up in target mode this wouldn't be an issue. The genius at the Apple store couldn't get it up either. He sugested a local mac repair business.
How would I go about connecting it to my desktop if I were to go the route of pulling it apart? I don't believe there is any warranty left on this machine - Apple will be pulling it apart anyway to replace the logic board. I wonder if there's something inside the laptop that lets Apple know it was messed with - will they still do the logic board replacement?
Upgrading to a $240 drive is a lot less than upgrading to a new G4 powerbook. Or just hope Apple doesn't wipe the drive.
Any more ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.