PDA

View Full Version : MDD G4/DP 867 self-assigning IP

Dane D.
Jun 11, 2009, 01:16 PM
After years of flawless service this unit now has a self-assigned IP and cannot connect to anything (internet or LAN). I've tried manually assigning the network numbers, renew DHCP lease, searched the networking thread. I'm stuck wondering what I have to do to get this back to 'Using DHCP' and connected again. The system is 10.4.11.

Consultant
Jun 11, 2009, 01:31 PM
Was getting that occasionally recently on the old G4 Dual 800. Thought it was due to the new place. I shut it down for awhile, when turned back on it's fine.

Perhaps power cycle all routers and switches.

I got a bunch of things. Router -> Airport Extreme ...wireless...> Airport Express -> Gigabit switch -> Gigabit switch -> PowerMac

Dane D.
Jun 11, 2009, 01:44 PM
Are there any Pref files I can pull out or do I have to use the Terminal to clear Pref file? I have never used the Terminal and don't feel comfortable using it.

awmazz
Jun 12, 2009, 07:17 AM
I have this problem intermittently with my G4s which can only be fixed by resetting the firewall in Security Prefs from 'specific sevices' to 'allow all' because every now and then it just seems to decide on a whim to deny local network services when powered off and restarted. So always sleep-only and never restarting helps keep it working with the firewall set to specific services.

Dane D.
Jun 13, 2009, 12:39 AM
I think it might be a bad Cat5 cable. I took the cable and connected to another Mac, nothing. It wouldn't see the LAN nor ethernet sys prefs were not showing any signal. I tried another computer same thing, have to buy new cable and check out after weekend. By the looks of the cable, it is not surprising; twisted, extreme bends and loose fitting ends. It was an old one in a box at work. Hope a new cable works.

Consultant
Jun 13, 2009, 08:33 AM
I think it might be a bad Cat5 cable. I took the cable and connected to another Mac, nothing. It wouldn't see the LAN nor ethernet sys prefs were not showing any signal. I tried another computer same thing, have to buy new cable and check out after weekend. By the looks of the cable, it is not surprising; twisted, extreme bends and loose fitting ends. It was an old one in a box at work. Hope a new cable works.

Yeah sounds like it. I keep my cable in great conditions personally. They are only a few dollars if you buy it online.