PDA

View Full Version : XPrize could be awarded soon!

Mr. Anderson
May 14, 2004, 08:31 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/05/13/private.space.ship/index.html

They set a new civilian altitude record, 40 miles and that's 2/3s the way to getting the prize :D

They haven't mentioned the speed, though - I'm wondering how fast they were going and if its close to a record as well.

Anyone know what the civilian speed record is?

D

Ozi
May 14, 2004, 08:41 AM
yeah i read about this... the competition for the first privately owned spacecraft to get into space!

For all metric (and thus normal) people, the latest attempt reached 66 kms, of the required 100 kms needed for it to be classed as a true spacecraft.

Mr. Anderson
May 14, 2004, 08:41 AM
http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0004556.html

if these are up to date - Once someone gets the X-Prize, the all time altitude record from the X-15 will fall as well. That was only a little over 60 miles.

The speed record might not fall though - the SR-71 is fast (although, the X-15's top speeds were faster) Guess it doesn't count if you're not on a measured course.

D

Ozi
May 14, 2004, 08:44 AM
yeah and that was a record set in 1962... so I should hope we are able to build something better, seeing as we have had 42 years to do it! :D

MongoTheGeek
May 14, 2004, 08:58 AM
They set a new civilian altitude record, 40 miles and that's 2/3s the way to getting the prize :D

They haven't mentioned the speed, though - I'm wondering how fast they were going and if its close to a record as well.

Anyone know what the civilian speed record is?

200,000' is higher than the blackbird goes.

they aren't going to win soon. They have to give 30 day notice to the xprize people before a real flight.

Figure them to give notice early next week though.

MongoTheGeek
May 14, 2004, 09:04 AM
yeah and that was a record set in 1962... so I should hope we are able to build something better, seeing as we have had 42 years to do it! :D

I am not sure about some of those records. When the black bird was retired they did a flight from California to DC in 1 hour!

Ozi
May 14, 2004, 09:20 AM
yeah, but im in a hurry I can drive that in about 45 minutes. Just depends on the traffic.

LMAO

Yeah the figures could be a bit dodgy.

Mr. Anderson
May 14, 2004, 09:22 AM
200,000' is higher than the blackbird goes.

they aren't going to win soon. They have to give 30 day notice to the xprize people before a real flight.

Figure them to give notice early next week though.

the X-Prize requires two flights in two weeks, with 3 people aboard on each flight....and they need to reach a minimum altitude of 62 miles....

These are all test flights - and I'm sure there will be more to come...but its a great start!

Now if I just had a million dollars I could go fly in space next year.....

D

Mr. Anderson
May 15, 2004, 06:43 AM
Update from their website - www.scaled.com

Launch conditions were 46,000 feet and 120 knots. Motor light off occurred 10 seconds after release and the vehicle boosted smoothly to 150,000 feet and Mach 2.5. Subsequent coast to apogee of 211,400 feet. During a portion of the boost, the flight director display was inoperative, however the pilot continued the planned trajectory referencing the external horizon.

Amazing that they got that high only going Mach 2.5!!! and 61,000 feet of ballistic ascent, too!

I wonder how long a burn they're going to need to make it to 62 miles...

D

Macmaniac
May 15, 2004, 07:42 AM
This is so cool. I really hope one of the teams is successful in doing this, it would do a lot to encourage space flight! We need to get an interest in space flight going again!

Chip NoVaMac
May 15, 2004, 08:00 AM
To me it is amazing that they seem to be only ones so close to the prize. Haven't heard much about successes from the other teams.

I think that the X-Prize shows that for certain exploration of space that the private sector may be the way to go. Just put a profit motive behind it.

JesseJames
May 15, 2004, 12:09 PM
That deserves a RIGHTEOUS STUFF award!

JesseJames
May 15, 2004, 12:11 PM
One question though. How does Burt Rutan find the money to do all this? Each flight has to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Chip NoVaMac
May 15, 2004, 12:39 PM
That deserves a RIGHTEOUS STUFF award!

If I remember correctly that is the Bell X-1 pictured.

Chip NoVaMac
May 15, 2004, 12:43 PM
One question though. How does Burt Rutan find the money to do all this? Each flight has to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Not sure how he finds the money, but the end result IMO is true advances in aviation history that is not paid on the backs of tax payers, like the V-22 Osprey that will probably never be a viable aircraft. Or the time and money that Boeing spent on ill conceived leases for a B-767 tanker, while Airbus took and invested the money on speculation.

Not trying to send this to the "Political Forum" wasteland, but the X-Prize is a sign that if you give companies a future profit motive, they will find away.

Mr. Anderson
May 15, 2004, 01:04 PM

Did you see who was doing it with him?

from the original article.....

Scaled Composites, funded by Microsoft co-founder and billionaire Paul Allen

As far as I'm concerned, one of the better uses of MS money.

D :D

JesseJames
May 15, 2004, 01:37 PM
Well I'll be dog-gone. Paul Allen??? Is he some kind of aviation buff then?

Sparky's
May 15, 2004, 02:23 PM
The Primera is expected to reach its lofty goal within 90 seconds, which would break CSXT's previous world record for amateur rocket speed of 3,205 mph.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/09/10/amateur.rocket/

Unfortunately from what I understand this attempt failed;

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/09/27/rocket.failure/

this site seems to say it all
http://www.civilianspace.com/default.asp

Mr. Anderson
May 15, 2004, 03:27 PM
sparky - those are just rockets, no people on board - totally different thing than the XPrize entries....

D

Sparky's
May 15, 2004, 03:43 PM
Understood, just wanted to see what the "speed record" was regardless. I can't see that there has been enough "private" launches of people into the atmosphere as to set a record, or at least a record worth noting.

Here are a few countries in the race

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/SPACEFLIGHT/foreign_launch_vehicles/SP15.htm

Chip NoVaMac
May 15, 2004, 03:48 PM
sparky - those are just rockets, no people on board - totally different thing than the XPrize entries....

D

At the same point it shows what the private sector is capable of. Which is both good and bad in this day and age.