PDA

View Full Version : Defrag............

patriotn11
May 14, 2004, 10:25 AM
I', new to Mac, Is there a defrag and a hard drive cleaner program like the one for pc that will keep the hard drive clean and running better,

Also, I installed the Mac office 2004, I think I did it wrong, can I clear it all off and reinstall, I tried once but it let the serial number and my info on the hard drive.

Also, Is entorauge email program better the the Mac Email program, if so I can't get all my outlook email to get to Entorauge from roadrunner account. It goes to the Mac email, ok, but not the Ent.

Is there things I should do on a scheduled basis to keep my 17" PB running happy and smooth.

These are my specs..... 17", 128mb ati 9700, 1 gig ram, 80 g/hd 5400, office Mac 2004...

Please help :D

Thanks

Michael :confused:

varmit
May 14, 2004, 10:48 AM
Defrag, no need to do it. Panther defrags any file that is smaller than 20 MB when it is accessed by the OS. That is why sometimes the first start up of some programs take longer than the next time it is started.

There is really no wrong way to do it. Either use the installer, or drag and drop it if 2004 still has the functionality. But if you want to get rid of it, you need to delete the preference files that Microsoft makes in your User area. Open your User area, top right you will see the search function, make it only search though your user area. Look for Microsoft and delete all. That should get rid of the preferences and the cd key that you inputted.

Entorauge, sorry I can't be of help, I just use the Mac Email client, does just fine for me.

For your PB schedule, after any OS updates run Disk Utility. Discharge your battery every so often and charge it back up so the battery doesn't die. Possibly get a mouse to take with you, retractable usb cable on the mouse or even blue tooth.

reaper
May 14, 2004, 10:51 AM
I use Disk Warrior every once in a while. It usually straightens things up. Also, make sure (as the last post indicates) to run disk utility and repair permissions. I do this after every install to keep things clean, but I would recommend doing it at least once a month.

- reaper

patriotn11
May 14, 2004, 11:09 AM
Thanks all,

I really am thankful to you all for making it a smooth transition to Mac.

It would now be a hard choice if I had to choose between my Wife and my Powerbook............. :eek:

San Antonio

djjon
May 14, 2004, 08:10 PM
Also use the Software Update under the Apple Menu at the top of any screen every so often and download whatever you feel is necessary, usually security updates and os updates but there is no need to download what you know you don't need such as certain language updates.