PDA

View Full Version : imac g3 screen flicker

orangejedi
Jun 11, 2009, 05:51 PM
I have an old iMac G3 that still holds its own, with Tiger and iLife 6 on it.
However, I noticed that the screen flickers a bit (not very much, but it can get annoying) At first I thought that, since it's an old computer, the display was just dying. However, after studying it more closely, I realized that it only flickers when the hard drive is working.
Why is this?
I don't seem to recall this occurring in the past.
Any theories or suggestions?
Thanks

iMacmaster82
Nov 22, 2009, 11:26 PM
Hello, i know this is a late response since i don't check this site often, but i have the answer to your problem. It might have something to do with how much power is being fed into the iMac, or it might be a bad logic board, or maybe somehow, the hard drive interferes with the monitor. I played around with a bunch of CRT monitors in the past, and i know alot of things that can make them flicker like that. Magnets, cell phones, etc;. Most likely, the magnet or something in the hard drive is causing the monitor to flicker, or something on the monitor reacts to whenever the hard drives pulls off data off itself. Magnets normally pull or tremble or interfere with the metal inside of a CRT monitor in rare cases, and hard drives use magnets to read the information. Don't forget, besides the logic board and other components, the hard Drive in an iMac G3 is the closest component to the monotor. i do reccomend replacing the hard drive, or check the wiring that runs your monitor.:apple: