PDA

View Full Version : LCD Needed

erise
May 14, 2004, 04:11 PM
I'm looking to replace my old TV with a 17" or 19" LCD monitor. I need something with VGA inputs and would like DVI inputs for if I get a new computer later. I also want to be able to use my game systems and VCR (which all output either RCA or S-Video) on the LCD. Because I'll be playing games, I need a monitor without any ghosting. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to spend no more than $400-500 if possible.

jxyama
May 14, 2004, 04:24 PM
at that budget, you aren't gonna have much choice. that will barely afford a 17" LCD computer monitor, not to mention about lack of ghosting or having tv inputs.

Dreadnought
May 14, 2004, 04:36 PM
Just curious, how are you planning to use it as a TV? What is going to give you a remote and zap to the channels?

michaelrjohnson
May 14, 2004, 04:37 PM
at that budget, you aren't gonna have much choice. that will barely afford a 17" LCD computer monitor, not to mention about lack of ghosting or having tv inputs.

exactly. you might be able to find a really nice CRT with the features you desire for that price.

but, may i ask, why are you replacing your TV with a computer monitor?!

erise
May 15, 2004, 09:28 PM
I'm replacing my TV with a monitor because the place where I'll be staying soon for college doesn't allow TVs. I don't want a CRT, because they are big and heavy and I'll have to be moving this monitor around pretty often. As for watching TV, I would hook use my VCR and use its remote, so I don't need TV inputs on the monitor. I'll have enough money from working this summer, so it looks like I may need to spend more than $400-500. Any recommendations for under $800?

mikeyredk
May 15, 2004, 10:44 PM
I'm replacing my TV with a monitor because the place where I'll be staying soon for college doesn't allow TVs. I don't want a CRT, because they are big and heavy and I'll have to be moving this monitor around pretty often. As for watching TV, I would hook use my VCR and use its remote, so I don't need TV inputs on the monitor. I'll have enough money from working this summer, so it looks like I may need to spend more than $400-500. Any recommendations for under $800?

Does the place have cable hook-ups? If not, then all this planning is for nothing.

jimsowden
May 16, 2004, 12:26 AM
This is what I have:
http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=LTN1785WX%2fXAA
and I couldn't speak better of it. It does great HDTV, looks awesome with the G5, has great color and resolution, all the inputs you could want. The only problem? 400-500 isn't a realistic prrice. You will only get a piece of crap for that, and I'm not joking. Spend the money and get this, you will thank me if you do.

erise
May 16, 2004, 12:31 AM
Does the place have cable hook-ups? If not, then all this planning is for nothing.

I'm only going to hook it up to cable when I am at home over the summer. When I am at school, I would use it as an external monitor for my iBook and also (if I ever have any free time) as a monitor for my GameCube. The Samsung monitor looks nice, but I am not going to spend $1000. I saw some nice VGA/DVI LCD monitors with 16ms response times and great reviews for about $650, so I may get one of those.

Phatpat
May 16, 2004, 12:40 AM
Take a look at www.newegg.com. They have a lot of lcd's in your price range.

superbovine
May 16, 2004, 01:51 AM
cnet, techtv, and anandtech, and tom's hardware should have good round-up and reviews.