PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! URGENT!!!

thejazzman10
May 14, 2004, 06:56 PM
hello, ive tried posting this, but got no responses...every time that i disconnect from the internet(i have dial up) My iBook kernel panics!!! specs:ibook G3 900 mhz, 640 megs of ram, airport..Again PLEASE HELP!!!!!

JOD8FY
May 14, 2004, 07:29 PM
I really don't know what might be going on with your iBook. Have you tried using a different web browser? Do you have the latest software updates? Try that, but if that doesn't work and you're still under warranty, call Apple. Sorry, maybe someone else will be able to help...

JOD8FY

yoman
May 14, 2004, 07:29 PM
hello, ive tried posting this, but got no responses...every time that i disconnect from the internet(i have dial up) My iBook kernel panics!!! specs:ibook G3 900 mhz, 640 megs of ram, airport..Again PLEASE HELP!!!!!

that is odd. Have you done the normal checks?

1)Repair Permissions
2)Verified RAM not cause of problem
3)used Mac Janitor

hopefully someone has a better idea than I.

yoda13
May 14, 2004, 07:43 PM
that is odd. Have you done the normal checks?

1)Repair Permissions
2)Verified RAM not cause of problem
3)used Mac Janitor

hopefully someone has a better idea than I.

OK, I have an embarassing question. What exactly is Mac Janitor? What does it do?

Ozi
May 14, 2004, 08:16 PM
It runs the normal system stuff for OS X when you tell it to, so that you can turn your computer off without the system having a cry. (http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/macjanitor.html)

melchior
May 14, 2004, 08:19 PM
start up using your diagnostic disk (it came with your mac) and hopefully it might come up with something.

the other thing to do is boot into single user mode and then run fsck a few times. but don't worry about that for now. try the diagnostic disk and report back...

Sun Baked
May 14, 2004, 09:05 PM
Hopefully there's not a background application running that needs a net connection that isn't shutting down gracefully when the connection is cut.

And are you running any system mods and/or the ISPs software?

Usually those are big causes of pain for people.

---

But if you are getting a lot of kernal panics, you'll need to boot up and run Disk First Aid (disk utilities) from the CD, and boot into single user mode (boot and hold command-s -- it'll boot to a text screen) and run fsck (follow directions on the screen). After that type reboot

The kernal panics tend to cause some problems with the file system, and they'll need to be cleared up.

Remember: both Disk First Aid and fsck need to be run until they come back with a clean pass.

thejazzman10
May 14, 2004, 09:08 PM
yes, i have done macjanitor, and the ram is apple(ughhh) there is no possible rezason that i can think of for my 'book to be doing thiss -oh and i forgot to mention, if i just remove the cord from the port&let my mac disconnect w/o noticin (the popup says "internet has disconnected)ahhh!!

Edit: yes, i have panther

sjjordan
May 14, 2004, 09:27 PM
What OS are you running? If older than Panther, you might want to run fsck on your system. Reboot and hold down apple+s until you come to the prompt. run fsck -y
It did wonders for my system.