PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Spill Help!

paulineann
May 14, 2004, 09:03 PM
I accidentally spilled some soda on my Ibook! To make matters worse I'm afraid I didn't disconnect the power quick enough. The power light and the screen were flickering as I unplugged it. It's been over hald an hour, I took off the keyboard and cleaned it as best as I could, but it still won't power up. Any advice?? Is this fixable? I'm a grad student and all of my work is on this one computer!!
Thanks for any suggestions!

Frisco
May 14, 2004, 10:32 PM
I accidentally spilled some soda on my Ibook! To make matters worse I'm afraid I didn't disconnect the power quick enough. The power light and the screen were flickering as I unplugged it. It's been over hald an hour, I took off the keyboard and cleaned it as best as I could, but it still won't power up. Any advice?? Is this fixable? I'm a grad student and all of my work is on this one computer!!

Let it dry out over night. Make sure powercord & BATTERY are removed. I have heard stories before where they are fine after a complete dry out. Even worst case scenario you should be able to save the data on the harddrive, but let's not worry about that yet.

Frisco
May 14, 2004, 10:38 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=68484&highlight=wet

Sun Baked
May 14, 2004, 10:38 PM
One more reason to drink diet soda (besides the lard ass disease) -- no sticky residue.

Those sugar drinks (including tea and coffee) are nasty around computers.

Frisco
May 15, 2004, 11:50 AM
So what happened did your computer boot up? i couldn't sleep either :(

titaniumducky
May 16, 2004, 02:16 PM

Take out the battery and power cord. Wash the laptop with cold water - don't just pour it all over, but you do need to pour it where the soda spilled. This is to get rid of the residue. Let it dry out for about a week. Then test it out. Hopefully it will work.

Macmaniac
May 16, 2004, 03:52 PM
Take out the battery and power cord. Wash the laptop with cold water - don't just pour it all over, but you do need to pour it where the soda spilled. This is to get rid of the residue. Let it dry out for about a week. Then test it out. Hopefully it will work.
ACK NO, don't use water to clean up the soda!!! Use a dry cloth and try to wipe off the soda in the effected area, or use a damp cloth but make sure their is no excess water in the cloth wring it out! Let it sit for awhile give it a day or two and remove the battery. Gotta hope dude.

fr0
May 16, 2004, 05:59 PM
ACK NO, don't use water to clean up the soda!!! Use a dry cloth and try to wipe off the soda in the effected area, or use a damp cloth but make sure their is no excess water in the cloth wring it out! Let it sit for awhile give it a day or two and remove the battery. Gotta hope dude.

IF you must get it wet again to get the slime off of it use isopropanol. The main problem with getting computers wet is not the wetness itself it is the slow drying process that rusts out the tiny little circuits. Isopropanol evaporates much faster than water, and as a result it can prevent such catastrophes. I have used it in the past in a similar situation (on a friend's dell) and we had positive results. No guarantees, but its better than water. Good luck! BTW: if you are going to use a dry cloth, try and avoid that whole static electricity mess. The dry cloth can be as bad as the water if its near the motherboard...

fr0