PDA

View Full Version : External Drive Help???!!!!!

jwp1964
May 14, 2004, 09:34 PM
I have an OWC Mercury Elite 7200 RPM USB 2+1.1 60 GB drive I am trying to use as a backup for my G4 iBook, 933, 640MB, AE, BT laptop. I cannot get Retrospect Express to backup to the drive...always says the drive is "busy". Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a novice and have read the instructions and help section prior to posting and have not been successful in my attempts?????? :confused:

Duff-Man
May 14, 2004, 11:19 PM
Duff-Man says....what version of Retrospect? Have you got the latest Retrospect Driver Update file for your version? ......oh yeah!

jwp1964
May 15, 2004, 12:48 AM
Thanks. I'll try the driver update download and see if that helps. I really do enjoy this Mac community after my switch 3 months ago!!!! :) :) :)

jwp1964
May 15, 2004, 01:28 AM
Duff-man...I updated the drivers and I'm still getting the same thing. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

ibjoshua
May 15, 2004, 01:37 AM
Have you tried unmounting and mounting? How about formatting again and making sure it's a supported format. Maybe Retrospect can format disks itself?

I use Carbon Copy Cloner with an external FreWire and it works like a dream.

i_b_joshua

Chip NoVaMac
May 15, 2004, 07:35 AM
Have you tried unmounting and mounting? How about formatting again and making sure it's a supported format. Maybe Retrospect can format disks itself?

I use Carbon Copy Cloner with an external FreWire and it works like a dream.

i_b_joshua

I never tried Retrospect on the Mac, but tried it on Windoze. Carbon Copy Cloner beats it hands down. The only issue I found is that i need to do a permissions repair in order to get a "good" backup.

jwp1964
May 15, 2004, 12:36 PM
I B Joshua...I took your advice and downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner and was able to backup with no problem at all!! Thanks. :D

Chip NoVaMac
May 15, 2004, 12:38 PM
We are all glad that it worked for you. It truly is worth the price.