PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook, Sleep, and USB

7on
May 15, 2004, 01:40 AM
Is there a way to keep my PB from waking up through the USB ports? Because I just "docked" my Palm and that woke my PB up. And it hasn't before.

Abstract
May 15, 2004, 02:29 AM
You sure it hasn't happened before? It's supposed to....

My PB wakes up for sleep if you try to pull out an external mouse from the USB 2 slot, and no, I don't know how to shut this feature off.

EJBasile
May 15, 2004, 06:33 AM
What happens if you keep the display shut?

Abstract
May 15, 2004, 07:51 AM
Hmmm....should have been more clear.

Even if your display is shut, the display still goes back on if you were to unplug an external mouse from the USB port. Plugging it in while the display is shut will also turn the display back on.

I think its because the USB port is always on, and even if you were to plug a mouse into the USB port while the display is shut and the PB/iBook is asleep, plugging it in and having the computer sense it's presence is an input to the computer. This is one of the drawbacks of having your computer detect new hardware immediately. Unplugging your computer is essentially an input because your computer had a connection with a piece of hardware, and when you take it out, it no longer does.

I don't know if that makes any sense, or is clear at all. I'm tired....

musicpyrite
May 15, 2004, 09:09 AM
My PB wakes up for sleep if you try to pull out an external mouse from the USB 2 slot, and no, I don't know how to shut this feature off.

Same thing with my iMac; when ever I unplug the keyboard, it wakes up.

7on
May 15, 2004, 10:33 AM
Apple should make an option "Do not detect USB devices when asleep." The Powerbutton could still be used to wake up the PB, or to open the lid. That'd be nifty.

PS: What I meant to say was that it has never happened with my Palm & Cradle before.