PDA

View Full Version : Ship hits Tower Bridge

iGav
May 15, 2004, 11:25 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, considering the total lack of Laws on the Thames. :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3717685.stm

wdlove
May 15, 2004, 11:35 AM
I was happy to hear that no one was injured. Luckily only minor damage to the ship. Don't they have at least basic laws of shipping on the Thames? What if any laws do they have? :confused:

virividox
May 15, 2004, 03:21 PM
wow it finally happened and i wasnt there to see it :( no big damage!!! oh well maybe this will teach em to increase safety on the thames

Chip NoVaMac
May 15, 2004, 04:10 PM
We have a draw span on the Potomac River in the Washington DC area; the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. It is my understanding is that ships there are to wait a safe distance away to await the opening that they scheduled.

G4scott
May 15, 2004, 04:42 PM
Close to my home, a causeway that connects South Padre Island to the mainland was hit by a barge about 2 1/2 years ago... It actually took out a portion of a bridge, and several people were killed because they couldn't see the part of the bridge that had fallen (it was at night). Since then, they've put in barriers to keep ships from getting close to hitting the bridge, and they have these lights over every section of the bridge that turn on, and warn motorists if there's something wrong...

At least nobody was hurt in this incident, and there wasn't much damage...

MongoTheGeek
May 15, 2004, 05:47 PM
We have a draw span on the Potomac River in the Washington DC area; the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. It is my understanding is that ships there are to wait a safe distance away to await the opening that they scheduled.

The wilson bridge is a travesty. Its a drawbridge on an interstate! Its 8 lanes wide and a drawbridge.

sailnavy
May 15, 2004, 06:01 PM
>The wilson bridge is a travesty. Its a drawbridge on an interstate! Its 8 >lanes wide and a drawbridge.

define travesty... it works... you need to allow for navigation of waterways.... The way many drivers in DC drive is the real travesty.

Chip NoVaMac
May 15, 2004, 06:27 PM
The wilson bridge is a travesty. Its a drawbridge on an interstate! Its 8 lanes wide and a drawbridge.

Living in the area I agree. To have a draw span that provides commerce between two communities so interlinked is absurd.

The new replacement bridge is supposed to limit the number of openings...