Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
I dont have airport base station, or any other wireless router at home, but I bought an airport ext card for later usage.

two days ago I went to a cafe with wireless lan service but I couldnt get online.. I doubt if my airport ext card is working or not.. if not I wanna change it before I get a router or before the guarantee expires..

is there any way to understand if an airport ext card works while you are not connected?

thanks in advance...

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
you could always try the hardware test cd that came with your computer. i'm pretty sure there is an airport test in the suite of things it looks at.

where was this hotspot you could not connect to? are you sure it was not one that required some sort of subscription? also, do you have your airport set to automatically find a location and get an IP? it could be that you had things set up wrong, and the airport card was not being told even to try to connect.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
AirPort troubleshooting

I don't know if you can test your airport card without being connected, but you can probably go back to the same cafe with wireless hub and try to connect again. (just be sure that your computer actually supports airport extreme - the earlier models need the older airport, and the cards can NOT be substituted for each other)

Even if you can't connect, just finding a signal at the cafe will tell you that the card is working, and the problem is getting the settings correct.

NOTE: Following comments are from my OS X 10.3.3 - not sure how many differences there are from 10.2 if you're using that.

When you are at the cafe, look for the AirPort icon on the upper bar next to the time and your battery icon - it sould look like 1/4 of a circle. Click on it, and make sure AirPort is is turned on. Also select "Open Internet Connect" to see the status of the connection. (I believe you can also connect to another wireless enabled computer via this dialogue if you want to test your AirPort Extreme card.)

If you don't see the AirPort icon on your menu bar, open your System Preferences (Apple Menu) and choose Network, andelect "AirPort" from the Show choices.

Here's a link with some general (non-Mac) troubleshooting tips for wireless networks.

http://www.oit.umass.edu/wireless/tips.html

Good luck.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I think the question you have is how to find out if you are connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot.

MacStumbler and iStumbler will alert you to when you enter into a Wi-Fi zone.

You can also enable the Airport Icon on the toolabar and that will show signal strength...

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
well... I used the hardware test cd and loved it!.. I've never used it before and once more, I understood why "Apple" is "Apple".. :cool:

it says my airport ext card works fine.. so I guess its about settings of my powerbook or the settings of that cafe.. and probably its about the settings of the cafe because the owner of the hotspot didnt even know what mac is :(

whatever.. thanx very much for the help..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.