PDA

View Full Version : favorite sports teams

Nybombers142
May 15, 2004, 01:10 PM
baseball: YANKS

football: DOLPHINS

basketball: LAKERS

hockey: SUCKS

and my favorite "other" sport: BILLARDS!! Excepilly that Janette Lee!! ;)

King Cobra
May 15, 2004, 01:22 PM
baseball: Yankees (and yankees haters still suck http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif)
football: don't care much, maybe NY Giants
basketball: Harlem Globetrotters
hockey: Penguins -- but don't care since Mario left
billiards: Not bad, we have a mini-table in the game room.

BTW: Why the hell was this thread created in the Current Events section?? http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

LethalWolfe
May 15, 2004, 01:25 PM
American Football: Redskins
Football: Team USA (for world play), and my new MLS hometeam the LA Galaxy.

Lethal

virividox
May 15, 2004, 03:11 PM
baseball: boston
football:raiders
basketball:lakers
real football: ajax of amsterdam
hockey:no thanks
pool: efren reyes and bustamante

vollspacken
May 15, 2004, 03:13 PM
Baseball: Expos *sigh*
Hockey: Leafs
American Football: Steelers
Soccer: Werder Bremen *Hoooray!!!*
College: Hawkeyes

edit:
Cycling: Ullrich

vSpacken

Sparky's
May 15, 2004, 03:28 PM
Baseball: lost interest after Dodgers moved to LA

Football (american-pro): Steelers mid '70s
Football (college): Colorado

Football (soccer): SUCKS

Hockey: Penguins (though they haven't really amounted to much) just like rooting for them

Roller Derby: the always in there "T-Birds" and Ralphie Valaderas

Basketball: from George Carlin " I see no point in a bunch of pituitary cases running around in their under-ware throwing a ball into a trash can" :D

Formula One: Team Ferrari Though I will always be a Jackie Stewart fan :cool:

NASCAR: D.E.I. racing

Darts: "DragonFlys" (301 and 501) (San Fernando Valley, CA)

Pool (Billiards in general): Mosconi and Fats 2 gentlemen that promoted the game as it never was. Though not a team just worth mentioning :cool:

zulgand04
May 15, 2004, 04:32 PM
Baseball-REDSOX!! :)
F-1 Schumacer
FootBAll- patriots

Phatpat
May 15, 2004, 07:44 PM
Baseball: Cubs & White Sox
Basketball: Bulls
Cycling: USPS

senseibiz
May 15, 2004, 08:16 PM
Baseball: Yankees

Basketball: Knicks

Football : Giants

Hockey: No thanks

leftbanke7
May 15, 2004, 09:30 PM
Pro Football: Broncos
College Football: University Of Utah
Little League Football: The Team I Am Coaching At The Time *wink*
Basketball: Jazz
Baseball: Braves but I don't really care much about baseball.
Hockey: Penguins

kuyu
May 16, 2004, 12:03 AM
Basketball: Wildcats (NCAA) and Pistons/Pacers (pro)
Football:Wildcats (NCAA) and Packers/49ers (pro)
Baseball: Reds (pro) and who cares in NCAA?
Indy: gave up after the CART IRL fiasco
F1: go Ferrari and Schumi
NASCAR: not my flavor
Soccer: I even played for a few years, but still don't see what all the hub-bub's about. Seems more like luck than skill (I know it's really hard, so don't flame me).
Ponies: Smarty Jones, it's hard not to love that horse. Derby...check. Preakness...check. Belmont...we'll see in 3 weeks. Hasn't happened since 1978!!!

Flyers486
May 16, 2004, 12:48 AM
What's with all the anti-hockey chatter?

Hockey: Philadelphia Flyers (obviously)
American Football: Philadelphia Eagles and NE Patriots
NCAA All Sports: Boston College
Football: Arsenal and Team England (Anglophile)
Baseball: Philadelphia Phillies and Boston Red Sox
Basketball: Not interested, except for the tournament (NCAA)

Awimoway
May 16, 2004, 01:10 AM
American League: Seattle Mariners and Oakland A's (don't ask)
National League: Los Angeles Dodgers

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NCAA Football: Washington Huskies

NHL: Colorado Avs

NBA: SUCKS

Veldek
May 16, 2004, 03:50 AM
Soccer: Werder Bremen *Hoooray!!!*

Hey, me too! Great season this year. Just forget about yesterday's game...

Anything else:

Hockey: Devils
Football: Dolphins
Basketball: Mavs
Handball: Flensburg Handewitt

takao
May 16, 2004, 04:42 AM
football(the real one):local clubs, Rapid Wien,and of course i have my favourite clubs in other european countires
hockey: VEU Feldkirch..sadly the team got into financal problems and ceased to exist
skiing: our national team
formula one:at the moment nobody is my favourite but for a driver i would choose button or montoya
baseball: no thanks
american football: no thanks
basketball: no thanks

jemeinc
May 16, 2004, 07:30 AM
FOOTBALL: The Philadelphia Eagles
Baseball: Those Fightin' Phillies
Hockey : Let's Get Flyered UP !!!
Basketball : 1,2,3, 4, 5, Sixers— 10,9,8,76ers...
Soccer : ROFLMAO... I respect the Europeans who are into it because I respect different cultures... Let's just say American Football is one more reason I'm SO happy to be living in America...

LET'S GO SMARTY !!!!

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 16, 2004, 08:01 AM
Football: Arsenal and Team England (Anglophile)

Congratulations on the UNBEATEN championship trophy this season!

My favorite team Everton did not perform very well... :(

Curling, now that's a real sport... :D

MacUser1
May 16, 2004, 11:05 AM
Basketball: Sacramento Kings
Football: Philadelphia Eagles
NCAA Basketball: Kansas Jayhawks
NCAA Football: Penn State Nittany Lions
Baseball: Boston Red Sox
Hockey: Philadelphia Flyers

Mav451
May 16, 2004, 11:19 AM
baseball: O's

football: 'Skins haha (this'll bring out the B'more guys on the board)

basketball: ANYONE but the Lakers or its bandwagon fans. I kind of like Miami or Detroit--but especially Miami. Caron Butler was truly horrible most of the season, but towards the post/playoffs he began getting double-doubles :) I also like Dwayne Wade (vs. liking Lebron). All pretty unique players, that most people don't know about. Detroit--well one guy, Rasheed Wallace. This is more than enough to make them competitive every year haha.

College Bball/Football: don't even need to ask, read my Location.

iGav
May 16, 2004, 11:22 AM
F1 = Ferrari (coming up to 20 years as a fan :D )
WRC = Mitsubishi
Football = Coventry City
Hockey = Coventry Blaze
Mountain Biking = Johnny Tomac

rickvanr
May 16, 2004, 11:27 AM

baseball SUCKS
football SUCKS

jemeinc
May 16, 2004, 11:40 AM
baseball SUCKS
football SUCKS

LOL... Yeah, football sucks, riiiight... A sport that changes it's rules from the regular season to the playoffs is much better... I like how you can lose a game in hockey , but still get a point... Too funny... Or how the old school hockey guys say "fighting is a part of the game"... LOL... No it's not ... If it was you wouldn't get penalized for it... The forward pass in football is part of the game- a fight in hockey is barbaric... That's why womens bowling attracts more viewers than Hockey... It's a backasswards sport run by lightweights...;-)
That being said: Let's go FLYERS !!!! Primeau for Conn Smythe....

rickvanr
May 16, 2004, 11:51 AM
LOL... Yeah, football sucks, riiiight... A sport that changes it's rules from the regular season to the playoffs is much better... I like how you can lose a game in hockey , but still get a point... Too funny... Or how the old school hockey guys say "fighting is a part of the game"... LOL... No it's not ... If it was you wouldn't get penalized for it... The forward pass in football is part of the game- a fight in hockey is barbaric... That's why womens bowling attracts more viewers than Hockey... It's a backasswards sport run by lightweights...;-)
That being said: Let's go FLYERS !!!! Primeau for Conn Smythe....
it's all one's opinion, i was just giving mine. let me stress the point that im referring to american football, not soccer. You must be talking about viewers in the USA tho.

That being said, why hasnt anyone really mentioned a favourite soccer team?

Mav451
May 16, 2004, 12:01 PM
Well 1) I don't play soccer. 2) I wouldn't feel qualified to answer that since I don't watch it enough/or at all.

That being said, Maryland Men's/Women's Soccer is nice :)

jemeinc
May 16, 2004, 12:03 PM
it's all one's opinion, i was just giving mine. let me stress the point that im referring to american football, not soccer. You must be talking about viewers in the USA tho.

That being said, why hasnt anyone really mentioned a favourite soccer team?

I'm talking about American football too... I actually almost coached A Canadien football team years ago & had come up with some pretty interseting ideas for the different rules... Never got the chance to use them though...

Macmaniac
May 16, 2004, 12:34 PM
What is this doing in the Current events anyway?
Oh What the heck.
Baseball: Orioles (Yankee's suck)
Basketball: Sixers, but since they are out for this playoff I am rooting for the Nets
Football(US): E.A.G.L.E.S 4th time's the charms
Horse: Smarty Jones TRIPLE CROWN HERE WE COME
Hockey: Flyers
Football: Manchester United

GetGo
May 16, 2004, 01:02 PM
Baseball: New York Mets
Football: New York Giants & New York Jets
Basketball: New Jersey Nets

ecche
May 17, 2004, 05:38 AM
F1: Minardi

Soccer: Newcastle

Biathlon: German National Team (Men AND Women)

Krizoitz
May 17, 2004, 08:27 AM
NCAA Football: Washington Huskies

Bow Down To Washington!

College Football is the only sport worth watching to me. Pro-sports just aren't as fun.

Steradian
May 17, 2004, 08:50 AM

LMAO, you like Billards over Hockey, are you like not getting enough oxygen to the brain?. Other than your football choice, it seems like you only follow the teams that win, why on earth would love the Lakers when you aren't even from So. Cal.

Go Sharks, Go A's, Go German World Cup Team :-), Go Earthquakes, Go 49ers, Go Kings.

Abstract
May 17, 2004, 08:52 AM
Baseball: SUCKS! If I have to pick a team, it would be the T-dot Blue Jays.
Hockey: Maple Leafs
NFL: SUCKS!
Football: Arsenal Gunners, and the England National team
Basketball: Raptors or Mavericks because Steve Nash is my favourite player.
Aussie Football: None, although its much better than NFL. :p

Baseball: Expos *sigh*
Hockey: Leafs

Strange choices for someone in Germany. :confused:

Congratulations on the UNBEATEN championship trophy this season!

Hell yeah!!

Juventuz
May 17, 2004, 08:58 AM
Baseball: NY Yankees
Hockey: NY Rangers
Lacrosse: Long Island Lizards
Soccer (I've got a few teams): Juventus (in Italy, my all time favorite), Manchester City (in England), Metrostars (in the US), the US and Italian National teams.

American Football is one of the most boring games on the face of the planet. Same goes for basketball.

Moxiemike
May 17, 2004, 09:12 AM
Soccer (I've got a few teams): Juventus (in Italy, my all time favorite), Manchester City (in England), Metrostars (in the US), the US and Italian National teams.

American Football is one of the most boring games on the face of the planet. Same goes
for basketball.

Lots of Penguins fans! Rock!

My list:
Baseball: Cubs.
Hockey: Pens. Juventuz, you actually like the Rangers? Why?
Soccer: Juventus. Best Jerseys ever too. Man U was always a fave of mine. And I went through a Chelsea phase awhile back.

Juv, I must agree on the american football comment. And basketball. Basketball is a sport without suspense. You watch the last two minutes and you see all you need to see. Lame!

Mav451
May 17, 2004, 09:27 AM
Lots of Penguins fans! Rock!

My list:
Baseball: Cubs.
Soccer: Juventus. Best Jerseys ever too. Man U was always a fave of mine. And I went through a Chelsea phase awhile back.

Juv, I must agree on the american football comment. And basketball. Basketball is a sport without suspense. You watch the last two minutes and you see all you need to see. Lame!

If you guys think basketball or football is boring, you probably don't understand the sport *_*

You want to see basketball? Watch NCAA Basketball :) You haven't really seen basketball unless you've been to an ACC game.

DavidFDM
May 17, 2004, 10:46 AM
Baseball: Boston Red Sox
Football: New England Patriots
Basketball: Boston Celtics
Hockey: Detroit Red Wings and University of Maine

0s and 1s
May 17, 2004, 11:23 AM
NHL: LA Kings
NBA: LA Lakers
MLB: LA Dodgers
NFL: Oakland Raiders

krimson
May 17, 2004, 11:37 AM
Go Lakers! :)

agreenster
May 17, 2004, 12:57 PM
Im a Lakers fan, but since I'm from Indiana, I have to root the Pacers on this year. I've caught a few games this season down at the Dome, which is always fun.

I used to play soccer in high school, which was fun. But watching it on TV has got to be one of the most boring things I've ever heard of. Why is it fun to watch people run around, only scoring a goal once a game (maybe)? I just dont get it I guess...

Awimoway
May 17, 2004, 01:26 PM
Bow Down To Washington!

College Football is the only sport worth watching to me. Pro-sports just aren't as fun.

I used to feel the same way, but the BCS has really soured me on college football. I have become a much bigger NFL fan lately (and it doesn't hurt that the Seahawks are finally becoming contenders). I didn't even bother to list my alma mater, whose football games I regularly attended while I was there, because it's not a BCS school. Or, as I like to put it, it's a Division I-B school. :rolleyes:

The BCS exposes college ball for what it really is: an elitist, rigged, racket that brutally punishes teams for minor infractions, applies the rules unevenly, and rips off its unpaid athletes while making millions. It disgusts me completely. At least in pro sports no one pretends not to be in it for the money.

Washington, however, was always the Pac 10 team my Dad and I rooted for (and I almost went there) and I will continue to root for them, but I won't care very much about college ball in any year that the Huskies aren't doing well.

GiantsFan
May 17, 2004, 11:44 PM
Baseball: Giants
Football: 49ers
Basketball: Kings
Hockey: Sharks
Soccer: Manchester and Real Madrid

TEG
May 18, 2004, 12:54 AM
baseball: Mariners
football: Sucks
basketball: Sucks
hockey: Red Wings (NHL), Everett Silvertips (WHL)
Soccer: Seattle Sounders

TEG

LethalWolfe
May 18, 2004, 04:10 AM
Im a Lakers fan, but since I'm from Indiana, I have to root the Pacers on this year. I've caught a few games this season down at the Dome, which is always fun.

I used to play soccer in high school, which was fun. But watching it on TV has got to be one of the most boring things I've ever heard of. Why is it fun to watch people run around, only scoring a goal once a game (maybe)? I just dont get it I guess...

Why is it fun watching guys run around scoring almost every possession? Basketball is boring, IMO, because it has no drama (save for the final 60 seconds).

Watching good football/soccer is awesome. Watching bad football/soccer is down right painful. The MLS is getting better, but international matches and most leagues outside the US offer up nice games more often than not. One thing I love about living in LA is you can always find football matches on the spanish language channels each weekend.

Lethal

Veldek
May 18, 2004, 05:39 AM

Perhaps a goal in soccer should count 6 points and the scoring team should receive a penalty kick for the 7th point... ;)

I think it’s so popular because almost everyone played it as a kid here in Europe. I agree that many games are boring to watch but there are some good games, too. And when there’s some trophy to win, the game gets thrilling because of this.

stromie952
May 18, 2004, 07:02 AM
Sports in order of like-itude :-)

1) REAL Football - Buffalo Bills
2)
3)
4) Hockey - Buffalo Sabres
5)
6)
7)
8) Basketball - Memphis Grizzlies (I like that they were from Vancouver and their coach is awesome!)
9) CURLING - Randy Ferbey (best male curling player from Canada)
10) Sumo wrestling - Takanohana (Yokozuna level fighter)
11) Golf - I'm a Tiger fan
12) World's Strongest Man - Magnus ver Magnusson (coolest name ever)
13) Baseball - Atlanta Braves (but as long as the Yankees don't win, I don't really care)

I could do more but, that good enough for now

(I don't watch enough soccer to pick a team and my hurling and Australian rules football knowledge isn't good enough to pick a team)

-Stromie

michaelrjohnson
May 18, 2004, 09:23 AM
i'm a local guy:

football: GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!
basketball: Bucks
baseball: don't care that much, but the Brewers are pretty hot this year.
underwater basketweaving: Hometown Heroes

Juventuz
May 18, 2004, 09:38 AM

Well I'm a NY'er and the Rangers were the first team I ever went to see, I've been following them ever since.

Soccer: Juventus.

Nice to see another Juventino.

MOFS
May 18, 2004, 09:51 AM

American Football is one of the most boring games on the face of the planet. Same goes for basketball.

You can't have 3 club teams to support! Which one do you love watching and support, even if you know that team is rubbish or plays rubbish football? I mean, I love watching Arsenal play, but no matter how hard Middlesbrough FC try and piss me off/ bore me to death, I'll still follow them through thick and thin! 13 years of supporting them, 2 relegations, 3 cup final losses, 3 promotions, and 1 cup win - their first ever in 128 years!

BTW agree with you about American football. Its not really football (I mean, you only kick it a few times in a game - you're meant to throw it!). Plus, its just rugby with a smaller ball, pointless padding (do you "football players" really need all that?), more steroids, and fewer countries playing it properly. Ever wondered why there hasn't been a "World Cup" of American football being shown on the BBC?

Baseball. Rounders with helmets... :D

Mike runs away quickly, before any big people find out where he lives...

FriarTuck
May 18, 2004, 10:12 AM
Arena Football, the greatest sport ever invented: Chicago Rush

National Football League: Green Bay Packers

Hockey: whichever team plays least like a bunch of criminal thugs

Baseball: zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Soccer: Chicago Sting (back in the day...)

NBA Basketball: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

College Basketball: Illinois State University Redbirds

WNBA: call me when they use a regulation adult ball, instead of one designed for 8 year old boys

Olympics: USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

wdlove
May 18, 2004, 11:19 AM
Not a sports fan, but should stick up for my home teams.

baseball: Red Sox The most expensive seats in the league.

football: Patriots The second Championship in three years.

basketball: Celtics They are in a rebuilding program.

hockey: Bruins They are in a rebuilding program.

Juventuz
May 19, 2004, 10:30 AM
You can't have 3 club teams to support! Which one do you love watching and support, even if you know that team is rubbish or plays rubbish football? I mean, I love watching Arsenal play, but no matter how hard Middlesbrough FC try and piss me off/ bore me to death, I'll still follow them through thick and thin! 13 years of supporting them, 2 relegations, 3 cup final losses, 3 promotions, and 1 cup win - their first ever in 128 years!

Well I've been a Juventino since I was about 4, my dad's a Laziale and he got me into Serie A football. Since I live in NY and have for practically my whole life I've decided to follow my local team when the MLS formed, hence I'm a Metrostars fan too. I started following Man City about 10 years ago when there was a lack of Serie A football around here. So I've been through City being in D1, relagated to D2, then the dramatic playoff final win against Gillingham, back to D1 then the Premiership, back to D1 and now back in the Premiership for the past couple years.

I never have to worry about the Metros playing Juve or City, two different federations and the likelyhood of them playing each other is slim to none.

Freakk123
May 19, 2004, 06:49 PM
Baseball: San Francisco Giants and Cleveland Indians (Yankees suck!)
American Football: Cleveland Browns
Football: Manchester United
Basketball: Cleveland Cavaliers
Hockey: San Jose Sharks

crookedcharlie
May 19, 2004, 07:45 PM
http://www.e-cookbooks.net/aprons/dodgers.jpg

Jovian9
May 19, 2004, 08:10 PM
In order of sport also:
College Basketball - Kentucky Wildcats
NFL Football - Indianapolis Colts
NBA Basketball - Indiana Pacers

wsteineker
May 20, 2004, 12:17 AM
College Football: The University of Alabama Crimson Tide
Pro Football: The New York Jets
NBA: The Boston Celtics
MLB: The New York Yankees
The Premiership: Manchester United
Serie A: AC Milan
La Liga: Real Madrid

me_94501
May 20, 2004, 02:00 AM
MLB: Oakland A's
NFL: Oakland Raiders
NBA: Golden State Warriors (don't laugh ;) )
NHL: San Jose Sharks
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes

d_jk
May 20, 2004, 05:56 AM
Rugby - ACT Brumbies. Anyone else support a rugby team?
WRC - Ford

plus Australian national teams. I had a great week when the Socceroos beat England 3-1