PDA

View Full Version : Can I update graphics card in iMac G5?

foofan
Jun 12, 2009, 08:58 PM
My 3 yr old Imac G5 (no isight) seems to be real sluggish in graphics dept. I never used to have problems watching hulu videos, now they stutter. When i play warcraft, the game struggles to keep up if I'm in an area where there is lots of players.

Would a new graphics card help?

Is it replaceable on my iMac model?

Cuda
Jun 12, 2009, 09:24 PM
What iMac do you have?

Only 24" Intel iMac's had MXM cards, so only they can be upgraded, and it's not cheap, or easy, but it can be done.

All other iMacs, NO, GPU is Built-IN and can not be upgraded.

Flash 10 on Hulu.com is a DOG, and CPU matters much more than GPU here.

WoW is also bound more to the CPU most of the time.

Have a look at /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor, and make sure something is not running and eating up all your CPU, sometimes print drivers or other things we install, run in the background and slow us down.

Sun Baked
Jun 12, 2009, 09:53 PM
Only 24" Intel iMac's had MXM cards, so only they can be upgraded, and it's not cheap, or easy, but it can be done.

I thought even the MXM sites weren't having a whole lot of luck upgrading some of the MXM cards on PC laptops, and even less to none using 3rd party cards on the iMacs.

Would sort of be pointless and more expensive to use genuine Apple parts for the upgrade, easier to sell the machine on eBay and buy a new one.

Cuda
Jun 12, 2009, 10:28 PM
I thought even the MXM sites weren't having a whole lot of luck upgrading some of the MXM cards on PC laptops, and even less to none using 3rd party cards on the iMacs.

Would sort of be pointless and more expensive to use genuine Apple parts for the upgrade, easier to sell the machine on eBay and buy a new one.

and it's not cheap, or easy, but it can be done.

I agree, it's not worth the $, if you did upgrade one, rather than sell it and buy a newer Mac, it would be like throwing $500 out the window.

I'd just like to be clear, and say it can be done, so as not to mislead.

Sun Baked
Jun 12, 2009, 11:50 PM
But the machine being a G5, and the parts so old and limited supply of PPC-capable MXM GPUs, buying a new Mini is probably the best solution or a refurb iMac.

Heck even the education iMac might be an upgrade.

Cuda
Jun 13, 2009, 12:25 AM
But the machine being a G5, and the parts so old and limited supply of PPC-capable MXM GPUs, buying a new Mini is probably the best solution or a refurb iMac.

Heck even the education iMac might be an upgrade.

Somehow I missed the G5 part a few times:rolleyes:

See:Only 24" Intel iMac's had MXM cards

Also see: I agree, it's not worth the $, if you did upgrade one, rather than sell it and buy a newer Mac, it would be like throwing $500 out the window.:apple::apple::apple:

foofan
Jun 13, 2009, 08:36 AM
oh well, guess I'll wait till i can get a new one. I will look into that cpu monitor.

TY

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 13, 2009, 06:35 PM
A memory upgrade and faster hard drive could help speed things up a bit.

How much memory do you have? More than the stock configuration I hope.