Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macAttack!

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
hey everyone,

i have been having some problems connecting wirelssly to a praticular wifi hub. I know that this question is floating around in the forums out there, but have been unable to pin it down... i figured that maybe a new look would help the situation...

the specs:

new MacBook (aluminum) runing leopard 10.5.7
trying to connect to: linksys wireless-B access point router.

there are four windows-based laptops that are connecting to this router, my mac (much to the chagrin of my mac-detesting father) is unable to recieve the connection. my macbook has been able to connect to every other wireless router i have attempted...

I am running DHCP with all settings set to automatic.

I know the password (although randomly it will tell me the password is invalid and other times confirm it (the password proved valid on the windows-based laptops))

When making the connection (on the occassions I get by the password) i get the infamous self-assigning IP address message.

A few times it has told me I was connected with an assigned IP address (i.e. it said "your IP address is ********) but I couldn't connect to the internet.

what do you smart people know that I don't? how can I get this connected without causing my father to write off macs altogether?

thanks in advance!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I wonder if the hub might have a limit as to how many connections it allows? Can you try turning off all the windows PCs, rebooting the router, then trying to connect the mac?

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
There could also be too much wireless interference with all the computers trying to connect.

First, check the router's settings, it's probably on the main page of the router's configuration screen

Look for DHCP Server, that is what automatically throws IP addresses out to computers requesting it. Check to see if it has a DHCP Limit, for example:

Limited to: [192.168.1.100] to [104]

What that means is it only has 5 IP addresses that it can hand out, ranging from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.104

If all of those are in use, the DHCP would be unable to connect you unless you used a static or self-assigned IP that is outside the DHCP Range.

To set that up, just go into system preferences, network, select airport (for wireless) and press "configure". Under "TCP/IP" select "manual"

Now you need to enter some info. You need to know what the DHCP range is limited at, or if it is off. If it is limited to an ip ending in 105, then anything after that is available for use as static ip. If DHCP is disabled, than any IP is available, but you'd have to make sure you don't choose one that one of the other computers uses.

you will also need:
Router/Gateway: This is the IP Address to the router, it's usually the IP you enter to connect and configure the router (provided it uses web-based configuration).

Subnet mask This will be on the router's "internet" or "status" page.

Primary/Secondary DNS This will also be listed on the router's "internet" or "Status page. Alternatively, you can just enter the router's IP address as 'primary DNS' and leave it at that.

Save those settings and now you have a static IP, because your computer is telling the router what IP it is using, rather than a DHCP handing one out at random.

macAttack!

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
hey guys, thanks...

but i still haven't quite pinned it down... the linksys router page didn't look quite like what iShaun suggested, so here's what I did.

on the windows based computer that had the router program:

it was assigned to a "Static IP" and I changed it to "Automitic".

I assigned a new password

I then set my macbook:

to manual IP, and provided the ip address and subnet provided.

my macbook then told me I was authenticated and connected and gave me a connect time and everything...only, I couldn't get on the internet.

The windows computers still connect and I can use my macbook to log onto other wireless serves... but can't get on my parents' network...

I'm sorry if I didn't follow your instructions exactly... here's what the linksys setup program gives me for options:

AP Name: (it is automatically registered as linksysWAP11)
Networking: (i am given a dropdown choice of automiatic or static IP)

if i choose automatic the following options are not changeable:

IP number: (set as 192.168.0.* (* is a number))
Subnet: (set as default)

next page gives me:

SSID:
Channel: (drop down menu, currently assigned as 6)

Then, WEP password setting (assigned to 64bit)

The apple network advanced options asks for:

TCP/IP

IPv4:

IP address (i typed in the assigned number)

Subnet (I typed the assigned number)

and Router: (Not sure what to type, i alternated between leaving it blank and typing the IP address).

Configure IPV6

either automatically, manually, or off

DNS

can add or subtract IPv4 or IPv6 addresses

or search domains

WINS

netBIOSname:
Workgroup

Appletalk

802.1X
i can add "user profiles"
which then opens up options on the right for a user name, password, and authentication

Proxies

i can configure proxies manually or using a PAC file

I don't know what to do at all! i'm going crazy...
:confused:
anyone know what i need to do to make this whole thing work??

macAttack!

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
also: the most frustrating thing is that my network preferences tell me i am authenticated and connected to the internet but will not let me connect.

fml.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Just a little curious, this may help.

In System Prefs, in "Sharing" preference panel, change that name of your computer to something VERY short (like MAC for example) and then re-boot.

A while ago, some wireless access points had trouble dealing with wireless clients with odd characters in their name or too long a name.

Just a thought.
________
vaporizer answer

Last edited:

macAttack!

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
hey, thanks mactech...

i changed my sharing name to "Mac" but i still can't connect to the wireless network...

but i really appreciate the response, sometimes the simplest solutions are the ones that work, unfortunately this time it didn't happen. :(

macAttack!

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Update!

I de-assigned the password and...magically the connection worked.

my dad is not happy about leaving the wifi unprotected so this is a very VERY shot term fix. any solutions as to why my macbook cannot send the correct password or as to why the linskys system wouldn't allow my computer to use the password?

and before you ask, yes, i did put the password in correctly/double check/etc.

thanks!:eek:

macAttack!

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Latest clarifications

okay, i'm getting desperate...

the password style previously enabled was WEP 64-bit. I changed it to a 128-bit WEP but cannot change it otherwise unless i delete it, which my father finds unacceptable. anytime the password is enabled i cannot get online with my macbook. when it isn't enabled i can.

the linksys model is a 2.4 GHz 802.11b linksys. it's model number is WAP11

help? :confused:

crzdmniac

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
My guess is since this is a linksys router, that you probably have linksys utilities installed on the PCs. I know that sometime the linksys wep keys were passphrases, but not the actual "real" wep key. If you go to wepkey.com and type in your pass phrase it should give you the actual wep key. Typically this is the 128bit key, but I can't be sure since I didn't set it up. All that being said, I think it's time for you to upgrade to something that does WPA (or WPA2 preferably) as WEP is easily cracked. Best of luck.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
For more information about routers/static IP & port forwarding, you can check out a guide I made. It has screen shots to help you understand what you should be looking for.

I tried to explain it in the clearest way possible, but I can't exactly give step by step instructions as routers are all different.

note: this guide was designed for PS3 users to create a static IP and do port forwarding for Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare/Call Of Duty: World At War.

It may still be of use to you though, you can find it Here

theodk

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
okay, i'm getting desperate...

the password style previously enabled was WEP 64-bit. I changed it to a 128-bit WEP but cannot change it otherwise unless i delete it, which my father finds unacceptable. anytime the password is enabled i cannot get online with my macbook. when it isn't enabled i can.

the linksys model is a 2.4 GHz 802.11b linksys. it's model number is WAP11

help? :confused:

If I were you I would buy a new access point. The linksys you are using is antique, and is very slow.

I would recommend buying an Airport Express. They are really easy to setup, and provide all the features you would want in an access point. They also have a very nice feature Airtunes, where you can steam your music wirelessly to the unit (needs external speakers thou)

See more info here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB321LL/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg&mco=MjE0NDc0OQ

If you dont want to use 99 dollars, then buy something newer from linksys that supports N networking. Will save you alot of time, and will help your dad get a more secure network

Just my 2 cents

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
If I were you I would buy a new access point. The linksys you are using is antique, and is very slow.

I would recommend buying an Airport Express. They are really easy to setup, and provide all the features you would want in an access point. They also have a very nice feature Airtunes, where you can steam your music wirelessly to the unit (needs external speakers thou)

See more info here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB321LL/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg&mco=MjE0NDc0OQ

If you dont want to use 99 dollars, then buy something newer from linksys that supports N networking. Will save you alot of time, and will help your dad get a more secure network

Just my 2 cents

+1 on replacing the access point. WEP isn't just cumbersome, its highly insecure, and a casual intruder with equipment can crack it in a very short time.

The AirPort Express is a good choice, because it comes with WPA and WPA2 encryption which is up to par with security, and is very easy to set up.

If you have the cash for it, I'd consider a Time Capsule. It works as a firewall and wireless router, but can be used to backing up all Macs running 10.5 on your network.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
To the OP - are you entering an ASCII passphrase or a hex code?
Some older PC-centric wireless routers will actually use a hex pass code instead of a plain text password like Apple AirPort users are used to. The Windows configuration software they ship with might give the user an option to enter an ASCII password which then gets converted to a hex code before being sent to the router.

If memory serves, you enter the hex code (i.e., something like A2CD4F2E3D490A2BDF8C) preceded by a "$" in the password entry box.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
To the OP - are you entering an ASCII passphrase or a hex code?
Some older PC-centric wireless routers will actually use a hex pass code instead of a plain text password like Apple AirPort users are used to. The Windows configuration software they ship with might give the user an option to enter an ASCII password which then gets converted to a hex code before being sent to the router.

If memory serves, you enter the hex code (i.e., something like A2CD4F2E3D490A2BDF8C) preceded by a "$" in the password entry box.

Ditto to that. I think that's the nail on the proverbial head.

Also, IIRC, wasn't setting the third party wireless access point to "Short Pre-amble" in it's advanced wireless settings another tip?
________
Civic Hybrid

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.