Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jon-Luke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2009
Cape Town
Anyone who has a iPhone 3G will remember or still be using the headset that came with the phone. (I have since upgraded to the Apple in-ear headphones with mic)

I am very happy with the sound quality and the clicker works the same way that the earbuds that came with the phone. It is able to answer calls and control the iPod functions. But the volume controls have never worked.

Recently I upgraded to a unibody MacBook Pro and was please to note that the volume controls on the in-ear headphones worked perfectly. Now when I bought the headphones they were not rated to work with the iPhone they were meant to only be for the new iPods. But now if you look at the webpage for the earphones click here you will notice that the headphones are now rated to work with the iPhone 3G S.

Does anyone know if this is purely a hardware thing... or does anyone know if the volume controls may work with the older iPhone 3G once the 3.0 software upgrade has been done.

Any info would be appreciated. :rolleyes::apple:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
They work exactly like they do now on the 3G with 3.0 (i.e. everything except volume control works). They work fully with the 3G S. I'm guessing there must be some hardware difference that stops the volume control working on the 3G

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
They work exactly like they do now on the 3G with 3.0 (i.e. everything except volume control works). They work fully with the 3G S. I'm guessing there must be some hardware difference that stops the volume control working on the 3G

Yea, the missing connector for those controls.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Yea, the missing connector for those controls.

Yeah, that would be the obvious reason, but there are no extra segments on the in ear 'phones compared to the standard iPhone headphones (both have 3 rings and a tip) so it must be a bit more subtle than that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.