PDA

View Full Version : iTunes & Burning w/ unrecognized burner

leftbanke7
May 15, 2004, 09:51 PM
I have a LaCie 52x24x52 CD burner which worked great with iTunes when I was still running 10.2.8 but due to some weird bug, I had to reinstall and for some reason could not get it to install properly so I went back to 10.1.5. Now iTunes doesn't recognize the burner. Is there some sort of "hack" or terminal magic I can do to get iTunes to see my burner b/c I'd really like to be able to burn my iTMS songs. Thanks.

chv400
May 15, 2004, 11:47 PM
I think that the newer the OS the more Drivers are in it. Like i had Itunes in 9 and itunes did'nt reconize my burner but when i went to 10.2 itunes reconized it. So i would say update to the most recent version you can

leftbanke7
May 16, 2004, 12:02 AM
I think that the newer the OS the more Drivers are in it. Like i had Itunes in 9 and itunes did'nt reconize my burner but when i went to 10.2 itunes reconized it. So i would say update to the most recent version you can

That's the problem. I tried to reinstall to 10.2.8 which at one point in time was working well but it would not install correctly so I was forced to go back down to 10.1.5.

chv400
May 16, 2004, 12:36 AM
do you have the Jaguar disks. you can only install updaes like 10.2.8 if you have at least 10.2

leftbanke7
May 16, 2004, 12:55 AM
do you have the Jaguar disks. you can only install updaes like 10.2.8 if you have at least 10.2

Yes, I know that and yes I do have 10.2 disks. I guess I should refer to it as Jaguar as opposed to 10.2.8. When I go to install with the Jaguar disk, it gets about 3/4 the way through and my computer falls asleep and won't wake up. Constantly moving the mouse did nothing to help. Regardless of what I did, it would freeze up at the same point everytime. I finally got tired of trying and just went back to 10.1.5 because it would install and a functional computer is much better than a computer with 3/4 of a more modern OS. It's not worth it to me to go buy a new Jaguar program b/c I am planning to get a new computer at the end of summer but I would like to be able to burn up some of the iTMS songs I have bought and would rather not wait 3 months before I can do this.

leftbanke7
May 16, 2004, 07:50 PM
Bump

bhertz
May 16, 2004, 08:31 PM
Ahhhh.... a beige g3 owner.

I have a upgraded beige g3 also and have found it to be a real pain to update also. Getting things installed on those machines is just hard they are just barely supported to run 10.2 and no support for 10.3 (well none from apple). Random kernal panics and plain strange behavior has been common for me. It may help to flash the p-ram before the install that helped me a little. Also check out XPostFacto (http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/) . this program will help to install OS's on older machines and there are faq's set up for help from users of the same models.

leftbanke7
May 16, 2004, 08:47 PM
Yeah, sometimes it can be a pain but since I am getting new computer soon, I will just grin and bear it.

As for my problem, I fould a solution. I just had to stop being a wuss and just dive in as the root user.

Thanks nonetheless.