PDA

View Full Version : Innovation never sleeps

cesar
May 15, 2004, 10:11 PM
WHat features or improvements do you think will be demo in WWDC '04?

I think:

iChatAV 3.0. Added netmeeting or VNC support
Remote Desktop 2.0. Cross Plataform Managing software
Keynote 2.0 + AppleWorks 7.0
xCode 2.0

:)

leftbanke7
May 15, 2004, 10:24 PM
I would like to see Appleworks get upgraded. Other than the iApps, that is the only one I use on a semi-regular basis and it it beginning to show its age.

virividox
May 16, 2004, 12:18 AM
i bet they will srping a new app that no one thought off yet hehe

titaniumducky
May 16, 2004, 02:09 PM
WHat features or improvements do you think will be demo in WWDC '04?

I think:

iChatAV 3.0. Added netmeeting or VNC support
Remote Desktop 2.0. Cross Plataform Managing software
Keynote 2.0 + AppleWorks 7.0
xCode 2.0

:)

Obviously Tiger (OS X 10.4) - they told us that. In Tiger, iChatAV 3 and xCode 2 will be included. Also, there will be all kinds of awesome new features and tons of new eye candy stuff.

Definitely Keynote 2 and AppleWorks 7. Those are to prevent losing customers to Office 2004. I will never use PowerPoint over Keynote. Word/Excel are another thing....

New iMac G5s, PowerMacs, and iPods.

macfan76
May 16, 2004, 02:16 PM
i bet they will srping a new app that no one thought off yet hehe
that would be cool.
i am really looking forward to seeing the G5 iMac and the updated Power Macs (hopefully.) What do you guys think - Will we see the G5 iMacs at WWDC 2004 or later?

macfan76
May 16, 2004, 02:17 PM
oh wait and i would love to see the new apple cinema displays at WWDC :D :D

SiliconAddict
May 16, 2004, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=leftbanke7]I would like to see Appleworks get upgraded. /QUOTE]

You and the rest of the known mac universe. :rolleyes:

bennetsaysargh
May 16, 2004, 04:25 PM
i say multi person ichat video conferencing would be very nice, and so would profiles, an away message window, and maybe other stuff.
eye candy is a must ;)

SiliconAddict
May 16, 2004, 04:35 PM
My best-case scenario for WWDC:

5. New version of iChat that is cross the board compatible with AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, IRC

4. iTunes 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. OS X 10.4: Tiger with its enhanced metadata features, more 3d-ish interface, smooth text to voice interface (No more of this wargame voice crap.), Piles, and other cool stuff I can't think of right now. :D With a release date of Spring of '05.

2. New iPods!!!
2A Preference. Color screen iPod with OLED displays.
2B Preference. Just put a 50GB drive in there!

1. Steve demo's a G5 PowerBook to be released fall of '04
1A Preference. Steve demo's 15" and 17" G5 PowerBooks to be released fall of '04.
1B Preference. Steve demo's 17" G5 PowerBooks to be released fall of '04.

0. Steve drops the bombshell they are releasing their own emulator for X86 that will allow nearly flawless emulation of OS X on the X86 architecture. The emulator package plus a copy of OS X 10.3 will cost $180.....and at that point I wake up. :D

JOD8FY
May 16, 2004, 04:48 PM
oh wait and i would love to see the new apple cinema displays at WWDC :D :D

Oh yeah, forgot about those. Ya know, I saw a slab of clay and a chisel that did just the same thing :D . I think it's time for some updates... :rolleyes: . Other than that, iMac G5's, Powermacs and iPods. As for software, Keynote 2, Appleworks 7 and *cross fingers* Final cut Express 3.0? That would be great!

Cheers,
JOD8FY

thatwendigo
May 16, 2004, 04:51 PM
5. New version of iChat that is cross the board compatible with AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, IRC

This doesn't fit so well with Apple's cooperative efforts with AOL, all things considered. They're interoperable on AIM/iChat and the AOL music service is the iTMS, after all.

4. iTunes 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What, exactly, do you think would be so special about iTunes 5?

3. OS X 10.4: Tiger with its enhanced metadata features, more 3d-ish interface, smooth text to voice interface (No more of this wargame voice crap.), Piles, and other cool stuff I can't think of right now. :D With a release date of Spring of '05.

Agreed, but add in the option to install Looking Glass and a solid implementation of java that doesn't lag behind the development cycle. Oh, and release in fall '04, not spring '05.

2. New iPods!!!
2A Preference. Color screen iPod with OLED displays.
2B Preference. Just put a 50GB drive in there!

OLED is expensive and would mean a price hike, as would the addition of 50GB microdrives, if anyone even makes them. I just ran a search but all I came up with was press releases on Toshiba's new 100GB 2.5" drive.

1. Steve demo's a G5 PowerBook to be released fall of '04
1A Preference. Steve demo's 15" and 17" G5 PowerBooks to be released fall of '04.
1B Preference. Steve demo's 17" G5 PowerBooks to be released fall of '04.

And here we completely diverge, unless you'd be willing to slap the "G5" label on a modified processor that would ramp the heat down massively at the cost of performance. I'm much, much more interested in seeing the towers reach 3.0ghz under a successor chip to the 970 than I am in any shoehorn-cramming of the 970 into a laptop.

0. Steve drops the bombshell they are releasing their own emulator for X86 that will allow nearly flawless emulation of OS X on the X86 architecture. The emulator package plus a copy of OS X 10.3 will cost $180.....and at that point I wake up. :D

More like a nightmare. Goodbye, Apple!

Were they to release a lossless OS X on x86, then we could kiss harware sales godbye for the vast majority, and then the OS itself goes right under because Apple can no longer afford to develop it without their hardware margins. It becomes bloated and insecure, and the dominant player in that game is too entrenched for Apple to take them on alone.