PDA

View Full Version : Shooter Question

job
Jul 3, 2002, 08:09 AM
Hi all. I am thinking about buying a FPS before my summer vacation ends, however, I will not be able to buy a new tower until the end of the year. At the moment my Mac is :

450 Mhz
320 MB RAM
Rage 128 (8MB)
Mac OS 9.2

I want to buy either RtCW or MoH : AA. I know that both of these games are going to run extreamly slow on my current system, however I really do not care as long as it runs at a decent frame rate with all the graphics options turned down. Which one should I choose? The system req. on RtCW said min. 500 Mhz. and MoH said 450 Mhz. yet I have heard that RtCW will play better on my system than MoH. I'm not looking into MP by buying these either, I have Tactical-Ops for that. :D

I did play the RtCW MP beta on a computer that was 50Mhz slower in Mac OS X and with most of the details settings turned off but with 32 bit color, it seemed to run at a decent speed. I was wondering if there would be any speed increase/decrease if I did the same thing with the actual game under OS 9.2. At the moment I am really not looking for the ultimate in single player or MP, I just want to blow and shoot stuff up. :D

hitman

whawho
Jul 3, 2002, 08:19 AM
I have played both of these games and I would choose MOHAA.. But I guess it depends on what you like. RTCW is cool but less realistic (IMO) with monsters and such. MOHAA is fantastic, more realistic, like a similation. But I like real weapons and realism.

topicolo
Jul 3, 2002, 08:46 AM
You know, if you had slightly more vram on your rage 128, MOH:AA would run decently. Unfortunately, the later levels tend to bog down a lot due to the massive number of things happening. I was going down to 9fps on a GF2MX. RtCW is a bit better for your cpu, although you may still have problems. If you had the hardware, I'd recommend MOH:AA, otherwise, Wolfenstein's the game

job
Jul 3, 2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by topicolo
You know, if you had slightly more vram on your rage 128, MOH:AA would run decently. Unfortunately, the later levels tend to bog down a lot due to the massive number of things happening. I was going down to 9fps on a GF2MX. RtCW is a bit better for your cpu, although you may still have problems. If you had the hardware, I'd recommend MOH:AA, otherwise, Wolfenstein's the game

So do you think that RtCW will run better on my system than MoH : AA?

hitman