Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AreYouIn?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I lost all of my music. Most of my music was purchased from amazon and they do not have drm so I know I can use a program like ipodrip or sentui to get it off. But I usually download itunes free song of the week if I like it and I know they still have drm on these songs. I also have some I bought with a giftcard I'm not sure if they have drm.

Is there any way I can get all of my songs off? Will the drm cause any problems with using one of the programs I mentioned above? Know any other good programs?

I'm getting my new hard drive some time next week. Right now I am on a laptop running vista and I can't plug my ipod in without it wanting to erase all of my music.:mad:

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
The PC won't erase your iPod unless you allow it to - although, if your iPod is Mac formatted you won't be able to do the following without something like MacDrive: Plug it in, say no when it asks if you want to sync the iPod to it, and follow the instructions here - http://www.cnet.com.au/how-to-get-songs-off-of-your-windows-ipod-240063041.htm (just one of the sites Google threw up when I searched for "get music off ipod windows vista")

Getting music off an iPod onto a Mac is just as easy without paying for a third party program, but you'll need to used Terminal. Open Terminal and type: cp /Volumes/<iPod name>/iPod_Control/Music ~/MusicFromiPod - then in Finder drag MusicFromiPod into iTunes.

You are entitled to five simultaneous PCs/Macs accessing any DRM'ed music, so unless you've been promiscuous with your music, you should have no problem playing any DRM'ed songs on another computer. The first time you try to play a DRM'ed song you'll have to enter your password.

Å

åidån

Would using the iPod as a disk, then importing the songs into your iTunes library work? I tried it with my 5G iPod, and the DRM songs were o.k, but the file names were an absolute mess, iTunes named the songs in its interface fine, but the filesystem looked a disaster!

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
DRM shouldn't matter, recovery software essentially takes any music off your iPod even if it is protected. The protection is there to keep the files from being able to be copied and distributed to other people. The FairPlay DRM with Apple is tied to your iTunes account as long as you have the account name and password associated with the protected file you're good to go.

The biggest issue is if the hard drive truly crashed or if it just got disorganized (i.e. your music now appears as "other"). If your hard drive has truly crashed it might present a problem with recovery because the hard drive is going to have problems with reading itself.

Bigmacduck

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
Put your iPod in disk use enabled... then use this program.

http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/products/musicrescue/

you'll have to click ok every 50 songs unless you purchase it but still... it's been a life saver for me... hope it helps

Why considering such tools at all (if you are not in the middle od a desaster)? Prepare for the unthinkable and buy Music Match on iCloud and let Apple handle the backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.