Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the_wallcrawler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
It's been a few days since a power surge killed my network card. Ever since I have been trying to set up a wireless network. I have an Aria Extreme cardbus adapter and an AEBS. Initially I had a DI-624 router but could not get the WPA connection working, so I gave in and bought the AEBS.

Everything started promising. I ran the set up assitant, everything was looking good. I used the admin program to get all the security stuff set up, everything was looking good. I'm getting a signal on the card and on the base station. I try to get on the net, nothing........

I am really at wits end here. I have reset the base station, started over, same thing. Under sys prefs/network settings it says I am connected to the net using airport.

Could it be some sort of DHCP issue with my cable modem? I use Comcast. And since my network port got fried, I am using a D-Link PCMCIA ethernet adapter to get on the net wired.

Sorry for the lack of info, but I am so frustrated at this point I can't think clearly.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
software

Do you have the newest version of the airport software? 3.4.1 it came out in late April, the 26th to be exact. The same thing happened to me, I had full signals everywhere, everything said I was connected to the internet via Airport, but I couldn't do anything online. There was an update previous to that, that screwed things up, so they put out 3.4.1 If you've alredy got that, then I don't know. Good luck

the_wallcrawler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
I'm pretty sure I am completely up to date. Did that update work for you? I'll double check my airport software...

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
When I updated to 3.4.0 my airport connection stopped working. WHen I updated again it still didn't work. Now that I've reverted to 3.3.1, everything is peachy again.

If all else fails, I suggest reverting to 3.3.1. Worked a charm for me.

the_wallcrawler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
the_wallcrawler said:
I'm pretty sure I am completely up to date. Did that update work for you? I'll double check my airport software...

I am running 3.4.1...

amin said:
When I updated to 3.4.0 my airport connection stopped working. WHen I updated again it still didn't work. Now that I've reverted to 3.3.1, everything is peachy again.

ill try this...

the_wallcrawler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
amin said:

If all else fails, I suggest reverting to 3.3.1. Worked a charm for me.

didnt work. same thing. connections made. network status says connected to ethernet via airport. and yet not able to get on the net.

someone help me!!!!!!!! AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! :mad: :confused:

cjc343

macrumors 6502
From what you've said, I would rule out the AEBS or any of the computers as the problem. Actually, the AEBS settings matter, but at this point, the AEBS itsself probably doesn't.

Go into admin utility and make sure that all of your settings for connecting to the internet are set exactly as they were before. If there are no changes, check any lights on the cable modem... for example, my DSL modem has 4(or 5?) lights on the front, one for power, one for an internal network (the wireless LAN) one for a connection to earthlink (or comcast in your case) and I don't remember the rest, nor do I feel like checking right now.

All of the lights should be lit, if one isn't, it means that a certain part of your network is not happy. and the lights will tell you which part.

I might be able to help more later if you still need it when I get back...

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
I am sure this has to do with the settings on the AEBS. I had this same problem, although on a Linksys wireless router. Couple things for you to check: There was a feature on mine that blocked all anonymous requests the router got, once i turned this off it opened up and I could use it. At that point i went in and added my Mac Address to the list of allowed, and then turned the anonymous request feature back on.

So I guess my advice is to see if you have anything similar on the AEBS

Good luck, wireless is insanely frustrating to set up, but once its there you hopefully can forget your password :p

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
the_wallcrawler said:
didnt work. same thing. connections made. network status says connected to ethernet via airport. and yet not able to get on the net.

someone help me!!!!!!!! AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! :mad: :confused:

If you have a signal and such but can't access the internet, there are really only two options.

1. You set up WPA on the router, but you didn't configure the laptop properly with WPA. If it doesn't have the password, it can't connect to the internet....

2. DHCP isn't working and you're not being assigned an IP address by the router

Check both. If neither is the case, you probably have a serious problem somewhere.

the_wallcrawler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
titaniumducky said:
If you have a signal and such but can't access the internet, there are really only two options.

1. You set up WPA on the router, but you didn't configure the laptop properly with WPA. If it doesn't have the password, it can't connect to the internet....

2. DHCP isn't working and you're not being assigned an IP address by the router

Check both. If neither is the case, you probably have a serious problem somewhere.

i thought WPA might be the problem but at this point i dont think so. i tried accessing the net with no security on and had the same issue.

another curious part of this and maybe this could shed some light.......

when i try to go cable modem -> airport wan -> airport lan -> computer, the same thing happens. network settings tells me i'm connected yet i can't do anything.

the_wallcrawler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
so i re-installed the airport card i bought prior to the aria extreme card and continue having these issues. two seperate wireless cards + the fact that i cannot even connect wired through the AEBS leads me to believe the BS is messed up. i dont see how the settings can be incorrect if network status is telling me i'm connected.

any more ideas???

cjc343

macrumors 6502
The network status tells you that you are connected to the AEBS.... not the internet...

Is each client set up properly? I think that I would check that and the settings on the AEBS... if it doesn't work, press the "reset" button on the back of the AEBS and try setting it up again. Don't enable anything not available through the setup assistant, then try... slowly enable security...

the_wallcrawler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
cjc343 said:
The network status tells you that you are connected to the AEBS.... not the internet...

Is each client set up properly? I think that I would check that and the settings on the AEBS... if it doesn't work, press the "reset" button on the back of the AEBS and try setting it up again. Don't enable anything not available through the setup assistant, then try... slowly enable security...

here are my settings:

http://homepage.mac.com/schubie/settings.tiff

on left is airport admin and right is network tab of sys prefs.

cjc343

macrumors 6502
I don't know what would be wrong with your setting... you would need to call Comcast to figure that out.

I have never confiured a cable modem before, but I've had a very hard time setting it up right using DSL...

Is this the same configuration as you were using with your previous router?

the_wallcrawler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
cjc343 said:
I don't know what would be wrong with your setting... you would need to call Comcast to figure that out.

I have never confiured a cable modem before, but I've had a very hard time setting it up right using DSL...

Is this the same configuration as you were using with your previous router?

i guess the settings were different because i did some tinkering...................and I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

i unplugged the modem (which i tried before but only for a few seconds) for an hour or so to try and reset it, reset the AEBS, and started from scratch. its works now. i think doing that reset on the modem gave the BS some new DHCP info that got everything on track. hopefully this continues.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE! :D :D :D :D

cjc343

macrumors 6502
you are welcome... I do find that the newest version of the Airport software works better in 99/100 cases, so if you haven't upgraded since you reverted, I would suggest doing that now... up to you of course, and I wouldn't want to be responsible for screwing it up again....

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Whoohoo! I could really empathize with your pain and am happy to hear you got a solution. I know that when I finally got things working by 'downgrading' to 3.3.1, I felt soo good. As for upgrading to 3.4.1, it'll probably be best for you (most people seem happy with it), but I'm not going there for anything!

the_wallcrawler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
amin said:
Whoohoo! I could really empathize with your pain and am happy to hear you got a solution. I know that when I finally got things working by 'downgrading' to 3.3.1, I felt soo good. As for upgrading to 3.4.1, it'll probably be best for you (most people seem happy with it), but I'm not going there for anything!

i might just wait a couple of days and enjoy what i have going right now....

you just have to love the mac community. so many people willing to help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.