Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I watched 1gb memory jump the past couple weeks from $400 up to $600 at crucial.com. Now it is back down to around $450. I can still get it for $359 from owc. Is the price of memory coming back down?

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Probably not for a while. What kind of RAM are you getting from OWC? The #1 rule with ram is NEVER to buy it simply b/c its on sale--get it b/c it is a reputable brand.

So i hope you are indeed getting quality ram at that price.

*ok, just went to OWC. Apparently, they are selling "Techworks" RAM, PC3200 1gig for $265. I personally have never heard of Techworks, so if anyone else has use this brand, please post about your experiences with them.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
stuuke said:
I watched 1gb memory jump the past couple weeks from $400 up to $600 at crucial.com. Now it is back down to around $450. I can still get it for $359 from owc. Is the price of memory coming back down?

Nope. Recent demand has made the manufacturers realize they should cut supply to drive prices up. It will obviously fluctuate, but the previous downward trend is likely to end. Instead prices will probably rise or remain fairly stable.

Godfather

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
well, I never heard of crucial before untill here (1 week ago) while I ordered my pb before with Apple's extra Ram (1 gig) I know that wasn't smart, judging the replies of previous posts, but why is this so? Does Apple give out bad Ram? or is it just the price? I can't imagine just the price, since Apple's Ram is about as expensive as Crucial's...

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Apple's is usually a lot more expensive. However, we are still in the middle of a RAM price hike (which began sometime late 2003)...so there's not much of a difference now.

stuuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
The ram I was looking at on the OWC site is Samsung

1GB Samsung Original PC2700 DDR-SO 333MHz Cas 2.5 200 Pin Memory Upgrade Module for all PowerBook G4 'Aluminum' 15" & 17" Models, and the 12" 1.33GHz PowerBook G4. New, Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty. The same module Apple offers factory installs!

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
Reputations...

I just purchased a chip from Crucial. I read about them and got some opinions from people here. They are a division of Micron and they are very reputable. I had good experience, my chip was here on time, and works great. They actually manufacture the chips for Apple. They are definitely a good place ot buy from if price isn't a big issue

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
JOD8FY said:
Have you ordered from them before? What is your experience with them?
There's a gig chip sitting in my Cube (which I'm using)...flawless.
There's one in my father's blue G3 PowerMac...flawless.
There's a 512MB (or 1GB, can't recall correctly) in my father's Powerbook...no problems there, either.
--All purchased from 18004memory.com

afields

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
Has anyone used Omni Technologies ram? They're selling 1GB of ram on ebay for $369. I haven't heard of the company though.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
King Cobra said:
There's a gig chip sitting in my Cube (which I'm using)...flawless.
There's one in my father's blue G3 PowerMac...flawless.
There's a 512MB (or 1GB, can't recall correctly) in my father's Powerbook...no problems there, either.
--All purchased from 18004memory.com

Thanks so much! Just one more thing, do they have a warranty also? This place sounds great.

Thanks again,
JOD8FY

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Mav451 said:
*ok, just went to OWC. Apparently, they are selling "Techworks" RAM, PC3200 1gig for $265. I personally have never heard of Techworks, so if anyone else has use this brand, please post about your experiences with them.
Techworks is one of the oldest Mac RAM suppliers around, though they did back off the direct to the public sales and become an OEM/subcontractor for quite awhile so they lost a lot of brand recognition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.