PDA

View Full Version : Do Colleges block online games?

Macmaniac
May 16, 2004, 01:12 PM
When I go off to college will most colleges block access to online game servers like Warcraft III? Or do they not block games, I bet this is really a campus by campus question.

crazzyeddie
May 16, 2004, 01:35 PM
Most colleges do not. But some do... and they should burn in hell :mad:

Dippo
May 16, 2004, 01:38 PM
At my school, you are not allowed to play games on the lab machines, but they are not blocked. Of course no one plays games on them because they have sucky video cards.

At for the dorms, they don't block any online games. Plenty of P2P blocking, but that's about it.

JzzTrump22
May 16, 2004, 02:10 PM
I'm in the exact same situation. I'm going to college next year and will want to play online. Thats mostly all i ever do at home, so it would suck if i couldn't do that. But i do hear that they block out a lot of P2P programs like Kazaa. So you have to find alternatives.

applekid
May 16, 2004, 03:52 PM
They could, but I doubt they would. P2P's are a different story and totally a gray area so they probably do block it. They usually have agreements on how much bandwidth you're allowed to use in a given period instead of blocking certain programs.. My sister goes to Penn State, and they are allowed 60 GB/month, if memory servers correctly. That's plenty for doing light downloading, gaming, surfing the web, and IMing.

benpatient
May 17, 2004, 01:49 PM
actually, most schools do not keep track of individuals' bandwidth usage...they just block ports...

sometimes they only block those ports when they try and leave the local network, so some games can function inside the network, but some can not.

it varies GREATLY from campus to campus...

leftbanke7
May 17, 2004, 05:04 PM
My school has a hands off policy pertaining to the computer lab but they also don't allow anybody to install any programs. So I guess if you were running it straight from the disk and no one needed the computer to do actual school work, you wouldn't be violating any lab policies, per se.

LethalWolfe
May 17, 2004, 05:09 PM
When I was in college they started blocking on-line games. You could game against other people on the campus network but you couldn't game over the internet.

Lethal

GiantsFan
May 17, 2004, 05:36 PM
you can play online games.

Most college students use the Lan to play games against other people in the dorms

i've only seen poeple play Counter strike, warcraft 3, and everclear/quest whatever its called.

Nermal
May 17, 2004, 07:09 PM
My sister goes to Penn State, and they are allowed 60 GB/month, if memory servers correctly. That's plenty for doing light downloading, gaming, surfing the web, and IMing.

You call 60 GB "light"? :eek:

A few years ago, there were nine of us sharing a connection, and we averaged 18 GB per month, in total.

Macmaniac
May 17, 2004, 07:19 PM
I'm glad to hear they don't block stuff in the dorms. I don't care about losing my P2P abilities, great now I am going to buy that G5;)

unfaded
May 18, 2004, 04:06 AM
I'm glad to hear they don't block stuff in the dorms. I don't care about losing my P2P abilities, great now I am going to buy that G5;)

Grab me one too :)

grapes911
May 18, 2004, 08:31 AM
As far as the p2p goes, get direct connect. There is a hub called i2hub.com. You have to be on internet2 to get on it, and the connections are superfast. There is ususally a big selection (its been going down now that a lot of people are out for the summer).

michaelrjohnson
May 18, 2004, 09:19 AM
your situation seems to have been resolved, however, i just thought i'd add my vote.

my campus blocks every friggin type of p2p there is, but online games are a-ok. :)

applekid
May 18, 2004, 04:09 PM
You call 60 GB "light"? :eek:

A few years ago, there were nine of us sharing a connection, and we averaged 18 GB per month, in total.

I said 60 gigs was plenty. :confused:

windowsblowsass
May 18, 2004, 04:30 PM
your situation seems to have been resolved, however, i just thought i'd add my vote.

my campus blocks every friggin type of p2p there is, but online games are a-ok. :)
just change which port it goes over

Versello
May 18, 2004, 04:31 PM
just change which port it goes over

That would require everyone else changing their port as well.

norinradd
May 18, 2004, 04:58 PM
What my Uni does is run remote desktop blocking almost everything apart from file saving...so I take a lacie drive in and use this as a boot disk and get full access, then DL and play online to my hearts content.
man got to love fat Uni pipes ;)

JzzTrump22
May 18, 2004, 05:17 PM
When i can't use P2P, i go on www.suprnova.org It's a bit torrent thingy. But i'm only using it on pc. Don't know if it works on mac, i will soon find out when i get my new powerbook next month.

ZildjianKX
May 18, 2004, 08:41 PM
When i can't use P2P, i go on www.suprnova.org It's a bit torrent thingy. But i'm only using it on pc. Don't know if it works on mac, i will soon find out when i get my new powerbook next month.

LoL, of course it works on mac. :p

jeffy.dee-lux
May 18, 2004, 11:30 PM
man, i really wish my university would block www.addictinggames.com. Stupid flash games got me real close to failing a course. hopefully i'll be able to find more self control next semester.