PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G5 HELP; airport wirless, can see/connect to neighbours network but not mine

MacChaaz
Jun 14, 2009, 06:48 AM
Hey guys. I have a wireless network router/internet thing in one room of the house.

and my g5 is in another room.

I also have a PC laptop and that can connect to my home's wirless internet no problem.

My G5 simply cannot connect or even sense my 2wire901 home network, but it can see other networks in my home area.

I only managed to connect to my own home network once! And the 2nd time my 2wire901 can never be found.

Help

Wtf? Is it just me or why the heck does apple always screw around with me?

Get this; it has to be the mac. Coz my laptop is sitting right next to my mac in 1 room and it has no problems connecting...

wtf!?!?

Garrr i am totally hating mac right now coz the G5 is loaded with problems. And it seems PC is the future of video editing anyway.

fireshot91
Jun 14, 2009, 10:19 AM
Okay, so you hate Mac's because you can't figure out a problem?

Did you think that maybe your SSID was hidden?
Maybe the G5 antenna isn't capable of seeing the encryption type on your router?

Just a little friendly advice here: Don't get mad, and talk in a semi-professional way, and you'll get more help than demanding help.

Also, don't blame Macs, Most of the people here will kill you....:p

MacChaaz
Jun 15, 2009, 09:42 PM
Okay what's an SSID and how can that stop my mac from seeing my own homes net connection?

MacChaaz
Jun 16, 2009, 04:52 AM
Hey guys.

Basically the problem; my G5's airport works fine and we can detect many wirless networks, but i cannot detect my own. It's weird because my pc laptop can detect my homes' wirless network but my G5 can't. So someone said something about SSDI settings or something. What is that exactly?

My G5 only managed to connect to my home's network (when i successfully created a network and input my own WEP password) just once.

Help?

Cheers

gugucom
Jun 16, 2009, 09:02 AM
The SSID is the name your network broadcasts if you have selected the right option. Many WLAN routers have an option to hide the SSID and some manuals advise you to hide it as a precaution to improve security. I allways thought that is pretty dumb but some people actually follow such advise. It might help you if you check for such an option activated. If you cannot change settings on the router (no admin priviledge) you can note the exact SSID from the PC and input that to the G5.

There could be other problems but the SSID. Unless I'm mistaken Apple is using WPA and not WEP on the modern airport models. To make things work you have to match the encryption standards between the machines. Check what is in use un both sides and try to find something compatible.

zmttoxics
Jun 16, 2009, 10:36 AM
SSID is the name of the network. If it cant find it on the search, manually add the network.

This is the second time today I have seen you post "PCs are the future of video editing" when their G5 hasn't been performing. The G5 is old, if its broken, get a new mac. Any new mac out classes any G5 (except for maybe the I need 16GB of ram area).

Edit: I just realized it was you complaining in both threads.