PDA

View Full Version : Backing up ALOT from DVDs... any suggestions?..

rock6079
May 16, 2004, 03:34 PM
im trying to back up some dvds i have that are filled with clip art onto a new hd i bought.

i first tried to just drag the whole cd onto the drive and let it copy but it was taking FOREVER.. and never actually got to the copying point. theres probably 750 000 clip arts in total on all the dvds. i tried to make a disc image but that didnt seem to work. i dont think the dvds are copy protected becuase when i copy over small folders with only a few thousand clip arts at a time it copies ok.

the problem is that it takes well, a lot of effort to copy each individual folder one after another when their done. i was thinking maybe i could make an apple script that would copy each folder one after the other after each finsihes and put them in the right folders. then i remembered i dont know apple script.. lol ;)

is there any fast/easy way to do this, either with an apple script or not.

thanks for your help

cb911
May 16, 2004, 04:01 PM
well it does take a long time to copy everything off a DVD normally. i backup all wallpapers and other pictures i've collected to DVD and when i copied it back to my machine it took about an hour, maybe more.

it might be something with the way the Finder handles all the files, or maybe not. but you could try copying the files from Terminal. that might work.

unfortunately i don't know AppleScript either. but you know that you can make an AppleScript just like you make a macro, or actions in PhotoShop? you can just click 'record' then it will record your actions to an AppleScript.

rock6079
May 16, 2004, 05:28 PM
ya thats tru i didnt think about doing it through the termianl im gonna try that.. i was also thinking about recording an apple script but it would seem this would be too difficult ot rrecord as i would want it to continuously take one file after another in order once one is complete.. thanks for your advice