PDA

View Full Version : keyboard marking up powerbook screeens?

EK03
May 16, 2004, 06:09 PM
Ive heard the keybord presses up against the LCD of the new powerbooks, is this correct? I ordered a new 17" powerbook and dont want to permaently damage the screen

sandmann41
May 16, 2004, 06:18 PM
I believe that was only in the early ones and has been fixed.

aswitcher
May 16, 2004, 06:47 PM
Ive heard the keybord presses up against the LCD of the new powerbooks, is this correct? I ordered a new 17" powerbook and dont want to permaently damage the screen

I am playing it safe and have a radtech insert. When you spend thousands on a machine $30 for a decent screen protector seems small change to protect the screen from marks from the keyboard, pad and hand acids.

EK03
May 16, 2004, 06:53 PM
yeah this is a dangerous rumor, i dont want to waste alot of money for a new screen. Any offical answer?

dvdh
May 16, 2004, 07:19 PM
I have seen a few powerbooks (ibooks seem less susceptible to this) that have about six key imprints in the centre of the screen. It seems more likely to happen on the machines that are carried around frequently. Probably has something to do with pressure on the top a closed pbook pressing the screen against the keyboard.

If you are planning to carry your machine around with you, it would be well worth keeping a screen protector sheet in it (or thin lens cleaning cloth as I do). It will serve well to keep the screen looking fine.

As an alternative, there are also static films on the market to apply over your screen. When these get scuffed up, you simple take them off and get a new one. This option is great if you will be using your pbook in situations where someone is likely to touch the screen. (the name of the supplier escapes me now, but I will update if I find it. . . .)

bhertz
May 16, 2004, 08:00 PM
From my experience these are not marks from the keys being pushed into the screen. I believe that the marks that you are seeing are the residues left from your typing on the keys. Grease and dirt are then transfer to the screen when the laptop is closed. i have removed this marks simply by cleaning the screen. ***** Be very careful when cleaning because normal cleaners like windex will destroy your screen.****** I have used light pressure with a soft cloth and water. There are also special cleaners available in computer stores.

big
May 16, 2004, 08:01 PM
yep, 15" TiBook... when you close the lid, to put it to sleep, just let it barely touch, do not actually latch it, unless you are traveling. I've already had it happen to mine

EK03
May 16, 2004, 08:08 PM
anyone have any comments specifically on the new AlBooks? Ti book comments are welcome but the design is different between the 2

thanks

JOD8FY
May 16, 2004, 08:50 PM
At least for my 12" Rev. B Powerbook, I have had no problems. For traveling, I stick a soft styrofoam sheet between the keyboard and LCD just for extra protection. I think this problem pertains mainly to the 15"ers, but I think they've been resolved.

JOD8FY

telecomm
May 16, 2004, 08:55 PM
Haven't had any problems with my 12 inch PB (rev. B), and my girlfriend hasn't had any problems with her 12 inch G4 iBook either. Both were purchased sometime in November. Her old G3 iBook had some marks on the screen, but the new one has been fine.

I wouldn't worry about it. Also, when you get it you can take a look at it to check whether there'd be any reason to think the screen would get damaged, then decide if you really need to get anything else.

DGFan
May 17, 2004, 09:24 AM
If you're worried just spend $7 on a keyboard cover

http://www.marware.com/keyboardcovers.html

g30ffr3y
May 17, 2004, 09:32 AM
yep, 15" TiBook... when you close the lid, to put it to sleep, just let it barely touch, do not actually latch it, unless you are traveling. I've already had it happen to mine

i actually do that too... right before i got my tibook this guy at starbucks tried to sell me his... it had most of the keyboard imprinted into the screen... i only actually keep the powerbook latched when its traveling in its swanky laptop bag... otherwise it sleeps with the lid down, but not latched...

EK03
May 17, 2004, 10:19 PM
any 17" users have this problem? i just got my beauty in today and really dont want to mark it up

laserbeahm
May 31, 2004, 12:27 AM
That actually happened with my iBook after it had been in my backpack for a while.... it went away though.

BaDBoY
May 31, 2004, 12:53 AM
From my experience these are not marks from the keys being pushed into the screen. I believe that the marks that you are seeing are the residues left from your typing on the keys. Grease and dirt are then transfer to the screen when the laptop is closed. i have removed this marks simply by cleaning the screen. ***** Be very careful when cleaning because normal cleaners like windex will destroy your screen.****** I have used light pressure with a soft cloth and water. There are also special cleaners available in computer stores.

true, i get this a lot. its annoying

JFreak
May 31, 2004, 02:06 AM
i have a tibook and an albook (both 15") and i can say that while the problem is much smaller in the albook, it's still there. the screen will not stay clean if one doesn't put some kind of protective material in between the screen and the keyboard.

it's nothing i cannot live with, as the problem is a great deal bigger issue with the tibook. this "feature" is a cost of a thin design ;)

Ph4lynx
May 31, 2004, 02:18 AM
Yes on my powerbook
but only up closest to the hinge and not very much
so i went and bought the radtech and i recommend it to all of my friends

aswitcher
May 31, 2004, 03:02 AM
Yes on my powerbook
but only up closest to the hinge and not very much
so i went and bought the radtech and i recommend it to all of my friends

Radtech is cool. Looking forward to using it...one day...

EK03
May 31, 2004, 10:39 AM
radtech?

wide
May 31, 2004, 10:51 AM
Don't worry about it, your system is covered with one year of AppleCare, so Apple will replace your screen if it gets damaged. Anyway, I treat my Dell notebook's LCD display like **** and it still has the same great image quality it did when I bought it.

EK03
May 31, 2004, 10:57 AM
i still cant believe apple only has a 90 day standard warranty

idkew
May 31, 2004, 11:13 AM
i still cant believe apple only has a 90 day standard warranty

wrong.

365 day standard warranty.

GroverDoc
May 31, 2004, 11:57 AM
There are a few options to protect your keyboard if you are worried, none of them are particularly expensive.

Many companies cell covers which protect from direct contact between the LCD and keyboard in a closed laptop. Also, there are LCD protection sheets made by macally(? i think) that will protect from oils and grease on the LCD. Check out www.welovemacs.com, www.smalldog.com, or Other World Computing too see what meets your needs.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on any of them because I don't have my powerbook yet.

Counterfit
May 31, 2004, 01:34 PM
I have a few marks on my 15" AlBook screen. Just a few, and I think it's from pressing a bit too hard on the lid/display while transporting. No where near as bad as the TiBooks though.

userannon
Jun 2, 2004, 05:02 PM
I just bought my 12' powerbook two days ago and I use the little foam sheet it came with. :cool:

virividox
Jun 2, 2004, 05:48 PM
using the iskin, instead of a sheet of paper or foam; it works well too

parrothead
Jun 2, 2004, 06:47 PM
This happened with my Tibook, and it could possibly happen with the albooks. There have been a few suggestions about inserts. Definitely put something in there, if nothing else, a simple piece of paper will do.

Muzukun
Jun 19, 2004, 12:33 PM
I've wondered about this, do the new line of powerbooks come with anything to possibly stop this? like small spacers around the rim of the screen or should someone who is considering buying a powerbook buy the little spacers and the cloth divider (wildeepz and screensavRz) still? Thanks :)

aswitcher
Jun 19, 2004, 05:36 PM
I've wondered about this, do the new line of powerbooks come with anything to possibly stop this? like small spacers around the rim of the screen or should someone who is considering buying a powerbook buy the little spacers and the cloth divider (wildeepz and screensavRz) still? Thanks :)

No they have no changes to protect the keyboard.

I have a radtech screensavrz, black 17" with "X", and it works a treat.

Codemonkey
Jul 6, 2004, 12:32 PM
I find this thread funny - when I had my Pismo powerbook 4 years ago threads almost exactly like this cropped up almost daily.

It's funny to me that after so many years Apple engineers still can't figure out how to avoid this.

Incidentally, once upon a time I could 'scrub' off the marks with some lcd screen cleaner and a nice soft lint-free cloth.

I don't think it's anything to panic about, but I understand the aesthetic concerns.

herrmill
Jul 6, 2004, 03:32 PM
I have a 15 ai PB & have no marks after 9 months of heavy usage & toting around all over the States & Asia. Buy a sleeve or screen cover like Acme's Powerbook cover that doubles as a cleaning cloth. It's the best investment you'll ever make for your new PB.

http://www.acmemade.com/powerbook.html

stevietheb
Jul 6, 2004, 04:06 PM
I endorse the Radtech insert. Not only does it protect the screen when closed, but it can be dampened and used to clean the LCD (and does a fantastic job!).

herrmill
Jul 6, 2004, 04:24 PM
Looks like both Radtech & Acme offer the same benefit. Radtech offers both the cloth & sleeve, while Acme only makes the sleeve. It's well worth spending $15-25 for a new PB. I just had a bud here showing off his 2 IBM Thinkpads & they were covered with keytracks on the screen.

jknight8907
Jul 6, 2004, 05:05 PM
I find that the foam protector it ships with works fine... don't know how long it will last but it works for now.

yinyang
Jul 6, 2004, 06:42 PM
when i close my new alBook the screen doesn't touch the keyboard anyway. so i don't think it'll be an issue.

_pb_boi
Jul 6, 2004, 07:36 PM

The people from my work experience at a Mac resellers / software house came up against this a lot; the main problem is hand residue, not actual screen damage from excess pressure. Most people are careful not to press down on the cover when the laptop is in its closed position, but given the - necessarily - tiny amount of space between screen and keyboard, it's more difficult to prevent residue being transferred from keyboard to screen.

andy.