Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Does anyone know if the Exchange application, the 9.99 one will work with any other email, or just exchange? Dataviz hasn't posted anything on their website or facebook about.

Thanks in advance!

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Okay I bought Quickoffice a few days back and just purchased docs to go exchange version and right off the bat..........I can say that you need to download and install a desktop app from dataviz to be able to put documents on your iphone. WTF. I can just use my browser to load documents to my iphone in Quickoffice. In any case, will post additional feedback on docs to go as soon as I get the email link from them for the desktop app and can transfer some docs over and see how docs to go handles to formatting.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Okay I bought Quickoffice a few days back and just purchased docs to go exchange version and right off the bat..........I can say that you need to download and install a desktop app from dataviz to be able to put documents on your iphone. WTF. I can just use my browser to load documents to my iphone in Quickoffice. In any case, will post additional feedback on docs to go as soon as I get the email link from them for the desktop app and can transfer some docs over and see how docs to go handles to formatting.

okay thanks. I've already downloaded the desktop application... Now im just debating on what version to buy. If it works with other email than just exchange then i will go with the exchange, otherwise not.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
okay thanks. I've already downloaded the desktop application... Now im just debating on what version to buy. If it works with other email than just exchange then i will go with the exchange, otherwise not.

Well i downloaded the desktop app and synced a word file and one word, DISAPPOINTING!!! btw, i bought the exchange version.

There doesn't even seem to be a way to change font type/size unless i missed something. Also, the keyboard doesn't even handle non english characters, i don't even know how this is possible since i thought this was an iphone os thing, that is allowing typing of non english characters (i.e. korean, japanese, chinese, etc.), but korean characters come up as white boxes when i try to type in korean.

Also, Quickoffice formatting for the same document just looks better, and it was not a complex document at all. Hugely disappointing. I think dataviz totally dogged in on the iphone version and simply threw crap together to get something out there.

Seriously, there is no comparison to Quickoffice at the moment.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Well i downloaded the desktop app and synced a word file and one word, DISAPPOINTING!!!

There doesn't even seem to be a way to change font type/size unless i missed something. Also, the keyboard doesn't even handle non english characters, i don't even know how this is possible since i thought this was an iphone os thing, but korean characters come up as white boxes when i try to type in korean.

Also, Quickoffice formatting for the same document just looks better, and it was not a complex document at all. Hugely disappointing. I think dataviz totally dogged in on the iphone version and simply threw crap together to get something out there.

SO pretty much you are saying to just go with quickoffice over D2G?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I'm gonna wait a couple days and see if quickoffice drops their price at all. I think they may because D2G is so much cheaper.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
i would say yes, but wait to see if anyone else who has both wants to offer up an opinion. docs to go is pretty bad right now in my opinion.

I've been using D2G for years on my palms and treos and have always loved it, but looking over everything, it just doesnt look as good as it use to be. Mainly why I think it is so cheap. It was 20-50 dollars for palms.

Just the way Quickoffice looks is better. With the WIFI sync with quickoffice, is there an application for the computer itself like D2G?

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
I've been using D2G for years on my palms and treos and have always loved it, but looking over everything, it just doesnt look as good as it use to be. Mainly why I think it is so cheap. It was 20-50 dollars for palms.

Just the way Quickoffice looks is better. With the WIFI sync with quickoffice, is there an application for the computer itself like D2G?

no you just type into your browser, http://whatever-ip-address-is-given-on-iphone and then you can "browse" the files on your iphone and download to computer as well as upload to the iphone from the same browser window. no third party desktop app required.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
no you just type into your browser, http://whatever-ip-address-is-given-on-iphone and then you can "browse" the files on your iphone and download to computer as well as upload to the iphone from the same browser window. no third party desktop app required.

Wow okay awesome! Sounds a lot better than D2G for now. Maybe in the future D2G will be better.

Can you email attachments and be able to edit them?

Thanks for your help

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
Where do you download the desktop version? I followed the steps in the iPhone tutorial about putting in my e-mail so they can send me the download link, but I just got a registration confirmation. Is the other e-mail coming soon?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Where do you download the desktop version? I followed the steps in the iPhone tutorial about putting in my e-mail so they can send me the download link, but I just got a registration confirmation. Is the other e-mail coming soon?

yes or go to dataviz.com/iphoneinstaller

I believe thats the URL

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Wow okay awesome! Sounds a lot better than D2G for now. Maybe in the future D2G will be better.

Can you email attachments and be able to edit them?

Thanks for your help

yes you can email out attachments however you can't save attachments from emails, that's coming in a future update, along with office 2007 docs

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
yes you can email out attachments however you can't save attachments from emails, that's coming in a future update, along with office 2007 docs

Sounds good. Thank you for all your help.

velvetelvis

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
do either of these offer a way to get documents from you phone to you laptop or visa versa with out being on a wifi network? say bluetooth maybe? and if not will they?

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
do either of these offer a way to get documents from you phone to you laptop or visa versa with out being on a wifi network? say bluetooth maybe? and if not will they?

Other than email I don't think so. I'm not sure if OS 3.0 supports bluetooth file sharing but my guess would be no. Knowing Apple they would be afraid of people sharing music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.