Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nadinengland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Yorkshire, UK
Something that I would like to see in future versions of iTunes is the ability to be able to "Pass Over" the current playlist or music selection from your iPod to your computer. Here is a example of my idea.

I'm listening in to a Genius playlist in my car, that I have made on my iPod Touch. At the end of my journey I am only half way through my songs but I have switched off my car and I am now heading into my house. As I am within range of my Wireless LAN I am able to boot my computer from sleep and instantly start listening to my computers full music collection. The problem lies with that if I wanted to carry on listening to the playlist that I have just created, I would either have to synchronize my iPod directly with my computer, or hope that Genius would create the exact same one then manually start it from the current song.

My solution would be to "Pass Over" the current Playlist/Album/Artist or whatever your current music selection is directly to the computer with the help of bonjour or an existing LAN. The iPod would then tell iTunes how far into the current song it was and all the other meta data needed to carry on the playlist. A simple "Pass Over" would then reduce the volume of the iPod and increase the volume of the computers speakers.

Of course this idea has flaw (so does everything), especially when taking into account the majority of iPod's in use at the moment, ones what do not have WiFi, but this is a suggestion for future versions of iTunes, ones where the ratio to WiFi enabled iPods such as the iPod Touch and the iPhone out number non-WiFi ones.

Love to hear your thoughts on the matter and if this kind of functionally would benifit you in your day to day iPod use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.